Drinking while "Carrying"

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

WildBill
Posts in topic: 8

Re: Drinking while "Carrying"

Post by WildBill »

Why do some people think drinking is equal to getting drunk?
NRA Endowment Member

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RoyGBiv »

WildBill wrote:Why do some people think drinking is equal to getting drunk?
personal experience or lack thereof.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

WildBill
Posts in topic: 8

Post by WildBill »

RoyGBiv wrote:
personal experience or lack thereof.
:thumbs2: Good answer! I didn't think of that.
NRA Endowment Member

steveincowtown
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by steveincowtown »

Riddle me this...

Since these statues only cover CHLers carrying while intoxicated, where does it cover people carrying under the MPA being intoxicated?
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

Keith B
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Keith B »

steveincowtown wrote:Riddle me this...

Since these statues only cover CHLers carrying while intoxicated, where does it cover people carrying under the MPA being intoxicated?
Same place as you end up as a CHL holder, TPC 49.04 if they are behind the wheel. TPC 49.01 covers intoxication definition for DWI and CWI.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

bones281
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bones281 »

Keith B wrote:
bones281 wrote:I pertty much agree with everyone on here about drinking and guns. From what I was told in my CHL class, you do not need to have a CHL to have a gun concealed in your vehicle, but you do need a CHL to carry the gun on your person while in your vehicle.
Actually, you do not. All that is required it must be concealed from view. You can have it on your person legally. HOWEVER, I don't believe it is a good idea because if you have to quickly exit the vehicle in an emergency or for some other reason you would be in violation of the law without a CHL.
Wow then it makes me wonder what else my CHL instructor told me that was wrong. I remember asking him if we could carry on our person will in a vehicle without a CHL and he said the law only allows you to have a gun concealed within your vehicle and not on your person. I asked this because my wife hasn't gotten her CHL yet and she does a lot of driving around.

jbarn
Posts in topic: 13

Post by jbarn »

For some it is the same.....
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

steveincowtown wrote:Riddle me this...

There is no separate offense for non CHL holders like there is for CHL holders. A CHL holder who drives drunk with his handgun could be charged with DWI and a violation of Penal Code 46.035, Unlawful Carry of a Handgun By a License Holder (commonly called Carry while Intoxication).

A person without a CHL who carries a handgun in his car while intoxicated can be charged with DWI and Unlawful Carrying Weapons.

Penal Code 46.02 is Unlawful Carrying Weapons. It states that a person commits an offense if he carries a handgun on or about his person inside of a motor vehicle while engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic. (boating intentionally left out of my response). DWI is a other than a class C misdemeanor. Therefore, DWI makes one in violation of 46.02 if carrying a handgun.
Texas CHL Instructor

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

bones281 wrote:
Keith B wrote:
bones281 wrote:I pertty much agree with everyone on here about drinking and guns. From what I was told in my CHL class, you do not need to have a CHL to have a gun concealed in your vehicle, but you do need a CHL to carry the gun on your person while in your vehicle.
Actually, you do not. All that is required it must be concealed from view. You can have it on your person legally. HOWEVER, I don't believe it is a good idea because if you have to quickly exit the vehicle in an emergency or for some other reason you would be in violation of the law without a CHL.
Wow then it makes me wonder what else my CHL instructor told me that was wrong. I remember asking him if we could carry on our person will in a vehicle without a CHL and he said the law only allows you to have a gun concealed within your vehicle and not on your person. I asked this because my wife hasn't gotten her CHL yet and she does a lot of driving around.

Here is the law; (red font my emphasis)
Texas Penal Code
Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:
(1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or
(2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person's control.
(a-1) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person's control at any time in which:
(1) the handgun is in plain view; or
(2) the person is:
(A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic or boating;
(B) prohibited by law from possessing a firearm; or
(C) a member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Section 71.01.

A person commits an offense if he has a handgun on or about his person. If you are in a motor vehicle, you do not violate that law. So carry on or about your person inside a motor vehicle is not a violation (unless you violated (a-1))

Make sense?
Texas CHL Instructor

tbrown
Posts in topic: 1

Post by tbrown »

jbarn wrote:A person without a CHL who carries a handgun in his car while intoxicated can be charged with DWI and Unlawful Carrying Weapons.
Correct if they are the driver. However, if it's their car and somebody else (sober) is driving, it may not be illegal in Texas.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

tbrown wrote:
jbarn wrote:A person without a CHL who carries a handgun in his car while intoxicated can be charged with DWI and Unlawful Carrying Weapons.
Correct if they are the driver. However, if it's their car and somebody else (sober) is driving, it may not be illegal in Texas.
Well no kidding. A person not driving cannot be charged with DWI. :boxing
Texas CHL Instructor

nightmare69
Posts in topic: 10

Post by nightmare69 »

If the officer has reasonable suspicion to believe you are impaired while carrying you will be taking a ride to the county jail. You don't have to be legally intoxicated to be impaired. What I do is if I plan on having more than 1 drink, I go to my truck and disarm.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Keith B »

tbrown wrote:
If they are not driving, then they must be the owner of the vehicle or they can't have a gun in it without a CHL.
Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:
(1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or
(2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person's control.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

nightmare69 wrote:If the officer has reasonable suspicion to believe you are impaired while carrying you will be taking a ride to the county jail. You don't have to be legally intoxicated to be impaired. What I do is if I plan on having more than 1 drink, I go to my truck and disarm.
Yes, you do have to be legally Intoxicated to he impaired. One must be the legal definition of intoxication to be arrested.

And he needs probable cause. A much higher standard than reasonable suspicion.
Texas CHL Instructor

nightmare
Deactivated until real name is provided
Posts in topic: 5

Post by nightmare »

jbarn wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:If the officer has reasonable suspicion to believe you are impaired while carrying you will be taking a ride to the county jail. You don't have to be legally intoxicated to be impaired. What I do is if I plan on having more than 1 drink, I go to my truck and disarm.
Yes, you do have to be legally Intoxicated to he impaired. One must be the legal definition of intoxication to be arrested.
In theory yes but I think mi tocayo is right in practice. Some bullies will make their victims take a ride to jail because of their personal prejudices even when there's no crime. Sometimes they throw in a free taser ride.
Equo ne credite, Teucri. Quidquid id est, timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

Return to “New to CHL?”