Extra Magazine Carry

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Extra Magazine Carry

Post by baldeagle »

I carry two extra mags at all times. My pistol mag is extended - holds 7 rounds, and the forward extra mag is also extended. So 7+1 + 13 extra rounds. I use a Tactipac holster, and when I'm wearing cargo pants the mags are in the left cargo pocket.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

I carry 6+1 with a 5 round extra mag.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

I have two carry pieces, both in 9mm. This saves on target ammo pricing, but not on defensive ammo, since my everyday carry will eat +P, and my LCP won't:
  • SigSauer SP2022
  • SCCY CPX-2
When I carry the former, with 17+1 (using a +2 adapter), and a second 15-round mag, for a total of 33 rounds.
When I don't want to carry as much bulk, I carry the latter, with 10+1, and a second 10-round mag, for a total of 21 rounds.

Spare mag is always in the back pocket of my weak hand side in a Remora mag holder (interchangeable for both)
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

c.edgington wrote:Hello all,
Sorry in advance if this has already been discussed, I've searched and could not find anything on this. Do you carry an extra mag? And if so where/how do you carry it? I've been considered getting one of the Blackhawk! double stack mag holsters (single or double I haven't decided), but I wanted to see what the consensus was here. Thanks!

I started with a .45ACP and always had an extra mag due to its limited capacity and a very specific threat that was the initial reason for a CHL.
I have an M&Pc now, but have a sull sized spare mag. I actually use a CompTac mag holder most often used for competition, but it works perfectly for the spare mag with grip extension on it. Prior to that I used a simple tool holder from Academy which had a snap closure. It was nice in that you couldn't tell it was a mag - it looked like a buck knife.

I've heard the Handyman tool/knife holder is very similar.

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

I carry either an S&W Shield or a G19. I admittedly don't carry an extra mag when I carry my Glock (which is not that often). My primary carry is my Shield and I carry that with the 8 round mag in the gun and a 7 round mag on my belt weakside in one of these in a horizontal configuration.

http://www.thewilderness.com/magazine-s ... k-updated/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I like this mag carrier because it is lightweight, can be put on without having to thread the belt through it and holds the magazine very securely. I need to get one for my Glock now.
Psalm 91:2

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

I have a spare for my Glock 21, which was my first carry weapon, but never carried the spare mag. I now mainly carry my Sig P250. No spare mag. If I can ever find one reasonably priced, I may start carrying with spare, but has never been a high priority with me. I'm having a hard time finding accessories, holsters, spare mags, etc. for my Sig without having to special order. :banghead:
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

SC1903A3

Post by SC1903A3 »

When I carry my 1911 I carry 2 spare mags. When I'm on the motorcycle I carry a S&W 642 in my boot with two speed strips in my pocket.

AlaskanInTexas

Post by AlaskanInTexas »

I typically do not carry an extra magazine on my person, though I usually have extra magazines in my bag, car, etc. As such, my on-person round count is usually between 5 and 20, depending on which firearm suits my fancy when I head out in the morning. I am okay with the risk/reward trade off.

Jason K
Banned

Post by Jason K »

My usual carry gun is a Charter Arms .38SPL. I carry a 8rd Tuff Strip with it, giving me a full reload and three to top off. I keep a pouch with three more Tuff Strips in my vehicle.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Extra, fully loaded magazine, located on opposite hip.

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

Spare ammo, don't leave home without it. :rules: I carry one or two spare mags with any semi auto I'm carrying in a pouch on my weak side at 8:30-9:00. I have two tuff strips for my snub in a pouch on my strong side at about 2:00. If carrying a single stack firearm, I always have two spare mags. Double stack it depends. With my Glock 17 and two spares I have 52 rounds of +P+ on my body plus 15 more for the BUG for a grand total of 67 rounds. I know that's a lot of bang bang, but I'm worth it! :tiphat:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

MickyD

Post by MickyD »

I am comfortable carrying the 11 rounds in the single mag. Personally I can't envision needing more, and don't recall seeing any original or anecdotal stories of a private citizen involved in an extended gunfight. I expect I'm gonna stop the bad guy or they're gonna get me by the time I get 3-5 rounds off, 11 seems a stretch.
Mickey

Online application submitted: 10/16/2010
L-1 Fingerprints: 10/20/2010
Taurus PT640 40S&W: ?/2011
Taurus 24/7 40S&W: 10/20/2010 retired
CHL class: 11/6/2010
Mailed to Austin: 11/8/2010 Rec'd 11/10/2010
CHL received: 12/2/2010 24 days mailout to mailbox

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

It is far to easy for me to slip a spare mag in the front pocket. More than one spare on the body is more difficult. I have toyed with mag holders and never found one I liked.

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

My current EDC is my Ruger SR9C with the larger 17 round mag, so I have 17 + 1 of 9MM in the gun,
and that is backed up with the smaller 10 round mag. The 10 rounder is carried IWB about 11 o'clock,
in a single mag Kydex holder. So I usually have 28 rounds of 9MM on me. If I forget to put the smaller
mag on my belt when I go out for the day, I still don't feel too bad since I have 18 rounds on tap.

Currently my Springer XDS .45 ACP is in Illinois for the warranty work on the grip safety.
When it is returned to me I will carry the XDS as primary with either 5 + 1 or 7 +1.
2 extra XDS mags will be in a double Springer Kydex mag holder. My buddy's XDS .45 came back
from Illinois with an extended 7 round mag as a freebie from Springer. I'm looking forward to the
same freebie, and I told them that when I registered for the warranty fix.

Plus the SR9C will be on me with 18 rounds in it. So when the XDS returns I will be carrying 2 pistols
every day, ONBODY, with a maximum round count = 5 + 1 + 7 + 7 +18 = 38 rounds. I will carry 2 extra XDS
mags since they are .45 ACP, but no extra SR9C mags at that point.

My seatbelt holster holds a Rossi .357 revolver with 6 rounds, but I only load it with .38's. I know that I would
be useless at using a speed strip or speedloader, so no extra ammo is carried for the wheelgun. It would either
finish the incident, or buy me some time to get to one of my semi-auto's.

IMHO, you can have too LITTLE ammo, but you can never have too MUCH ammo.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

VMI77
Posts in topic: 5

Post by VMI77 »

MickyD wrote:I am comfortable carrying the 11 rounds in the single mag. Personally I can't envision needing more, and don't recall seeing any original or anecdotal stories of a private citizen involved in an extended gunfight. I expect I'm gonna stop the bad guy or they're gonna get me by the time I get 3-5 rounds off, 11 seems a stretch.
What we were told in an advanced handgun class is that 80% of shoots are: 3 rounds fired, within a range of 3 yards, in an encounter lasting 3 seconds. But then there is that other 20%.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Return to “New to CHL?”