Today Was a Good Day...

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
trashysquid
Posts in topic: 2

Today Was a Good Day...

Post by trashysquid »

Because I got my plastic in the mail today, and it just so happened that I needed to go and buy a ceiling fan switch to repair one that broke, so that gave me an excuse to go on my first carry! :woohoo

I didn't feel any heightened sense of self-awareness per-se, but I was certainly looking for a 30.06 sign before entering the store. I used this for my first carry today as opposed to this IWB holster because I just received the IWB yesterday, and I haven't had a chance to break it in. I will be using it around the house, though.

While walking to the store, I noticed right away that my piece (an XDs .45) was swaying around quite a bit in my cargo pocket. I don't think anyone noticed the weight in my pocket, but I definitely couldn't run without banging up my right leg if I had to.

So, already my first lesson learned. I definitely plan on getting professional carry instruction because knowledge is king, and nothing boosts one's confidence more than a solid knowledge base. And perusing the many years of knowledge on this site definitely helps! :thewave

strider67
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Today Was a Good Day...

Post by strider67 »

Congrats on the maiden voyage! It gets easier and more comfortable pretty quickly... :txflag:
"When things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plum, mad-dog mean. Cuz' if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win...that's just the way it is." - The Outlaw Josey Wales

jmra

Post by jmra »

Congrats on getting the plastic.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

fm2

Post by fm2 »

Good on ya! Wearing the holster rig at home is a good idea to get some experience and build confidence. Tom Givens from Range master is coming to Austin this Spring, and is a highly recommended instructor.
“It is the belief that violence is an aberration that is dangerous because it lulls us into forgetting how easily violence may erupt in quiescent places.” S. Pinker

dhyde79

Post by dhyde79 »

got mine saturday, I agree, it was a pretty good feeling, even better timing because I was taking my daughter out camping, and, while I'm not worried about running into people that I might need to be armed to deal with...I do have rattlesnakes and the like to contend with, and, well, keeping my wee one safe is my sole reason for getting the CHL to begin with...

I've got two holsters currently, one is the little loop style tagua and the other is a non-snapped tagua 4 in 1 for angled/straight, horizontal OWB or clip for IWB. I'm going to be ditching both (I'll keep the 4/1 for places that I can open or concealed carry) but I've got a cousin that's making me a custom IWB leather holster for my full size 1911 with a spare mag forward of the gun)

definitely get a good holster, you'll love yourself for it...
Last edited by dhyde79 on Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

trashysquid wrote: While walking to the store, I noticed right away that my piece (an XDs .45) was swaying around quite a bit in my cargo pocket. I don't think anyone noticed the weight in my pocket, but I definitely couldn't run without banging up my right leg if I had to.
If you weren't carrying the gun in a pocket holster, please consider getting one:
It will mediate some of that "moving around" feeling you were getting, and will insure that nothing can get inside the trigger well to accidentally cause an ND.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

n5wd wrote:
trashysquid wrote: While walking to the store, I noticed right away that my piece (an XDs .45) was swaying around quite a bit in my cargo pocket. I don't think anyone noticed the weight in my pocket, but I definitely couldn't run without banging up my right leg if I had to.
If you weren't carrying the gun in a pocket holster, please consider getting one:
It will mediate some of that "moving around" feeling you were getting, and will insure that nothing can get inside the trigger well to accidentally cause an ND.
:iagree: Also, the best way to "break in" a holster is to wear it.

Congratulations to all on receiving their plastic. :txflag: :patriot:
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
trashysquid
Posts in topic: 2

Post by trashysquid »

n5wd wrote:
I've actually started using an Old Faithful IWB holster, and it's a much better proposition than just using that cargo pocket holster. And I guess that I'm now on my way to getting a drawer full of holsters like most others have!

rockinar

Post by rockinar »

Carrying an XD in a cargo pocket is not too smart..

EEllis
Banned

Post by EEllis »

n5wd wrote:
He posted the pocket holster he was using.

Return to “New to CHL?”