30.06 question

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
ijohnston
Posts in topic: 2

30.06 question

Post by ijohnston »

I work at a company that is secured by a fence all the way around the premises with security card entry. I noticed the 30.06 sign on the gate at the entrance. Would I be breaking the law if I entered the property with my weapon and left it in my car in a concealed location? I travel out of town all the time on hunting trips sometimes leaving straight from work. I want to be sure I am not breaking the law by doing this.

jbarn

Re: 30.06 question

Post by jbarn »

ijohnston wrote:I work at a company that is secured by a fence all the way around the premises with security card entry. I noticed the 30.06 sign on the gate at the entrance. Would I be breaking the law if I entered the property with my weapon and left it in my car in a concealed location? I travel out of town all the time on hunting trips sometimes leaving straight from work. I want to be sure I am not breaking the law by doing this.
30.06 does apply to the entire property. However, carry in your car is not carry under your CHL. Therefore, car carry past a 30.06 sign is not a violation of 30.06. Step out of your car with the gun......

Since you didn't ask about the employee policy side, I will leave that for another thread.

Welcome to the forum.....
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

jmra
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jmra »

Can't add anymore to the answer you've already received but wanted to welcome you to the forum.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

jmra wrote:Can't add anymore to the answer you've already received but wanted to welcome you to the forum.
:iagree: I offer my welcome as well.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
ijohnston

Post by ijohnston »

Thank you for the warm welcome. So far this is my favorite forum.

I was hoping I was correct with that law. I just wanted to verify for sure.

polly

Post by polly »

ijohnston wrote:I work at a company that is secured by a fence all the way around the premises with security card entry. I noticed the 30.06 sign on the gate at the entrance. Would I be breaking the law if I entered the property with my weapon and left it in my car in a concealed location?
Maybe. It depends on the company.

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

polly wrote:
ijohnston wrote:I work at a company that is secured by a fence all the way around the premises with security card entry. I noticed the 30.06 sign on the gate at the entrance. Would I be breaking the law if I entered the property with my weapon and left it in my car in a concealed location?
Maybe. It depends on the company.
Actually not, unless you are thinking some type of federal employer.....
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

polly

Post by polly »

I may have fewer than 100 posts on this forum but I don't suggest anybody try to sneak a gun into the secured parking lot at a refinery no matter what internet experts say.

Carzan

Post by Carzan »

polly wrote:I may have fewer than 100 posts on this forum but I don't suggest anybody try to sneak a gun into the secured parking lot at a refinery no matter what internet experts say.
:iagree: Refineries are SERIOUS about security these days. But isn't that where company policy comes into play? One would be in jeopardy of losing his job, not breaking the law.
Badges!?!?, We don't need no stinkin Badges!!!

Captain Matt

Post by Captain Matt »

Carzan wrote:
polly wrote:I may have fewer than 100 posts on this forum but I don't suggest anybody try to sneak a gun into the secured parking lot at a refinery no matter what internet experts say.
:iagree: Refineries are SERIOUS about security these days. But isn't that where company policy comes into play? One would be in jeopardy of losing his job, not breaking the law.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think secured parking lots at many refineries are not protected in the parking lot law. Also, it's been a few years since I was at a refinery, but the safety briefings used to say guns are prohibited, and any oral notice is valid for 30.05 or 30.06 prosecution.
"hic sunt dracones"

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Above posts are correct.

Oil gas refineries, chemical plants, are exempt from the parking lot law.

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/state ... =10507&ps=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know for a fact that Texas Eastman for example prohibits firearms on property. They are secured by Homeland Security.
Last edited by nightmare69 on Sat May 31, 2014 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

SB 321 also excludes vehicles owned or leased by an employer and used by the employee in the course and scope of the employee’s work. Another important exception involves chemical manufacturers and oil and gas refiners. Specifically, chemical manufacturers and oil and gas refiners with an air authorization under the Clean Air Act and who conduct on-site manufacturing, use, storage, or transportation of hazardous or combustible materials are generally exempted under SB 321 except to the extent that a licensed employee keeps a firearm in a locked vehicle in parking area that is outside of a secured and restricted zone.
http://www.huntonlaborblog.com/2011/09/ ... -property/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “New to CHL?”