First Concealed Carry...With Questions..

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
JonnySW
Posts in topic: 3

First Concealed Carry...With Questions..

Post by JonnySW »

Finally got my permit the other day, already been to a few store and like most the first time, a little nervous. Im using a Alien Gear IWB holster for my Smith 9mm, and its a full size. I really have a few questions...

1. What is considered "printing"? If i wear a regular T shirt, you can tell there is SOMETHING on my side at times. Mainly where the shirt rests on the butt of the gun, if i wear say a polo shirt, or a thicker material, its not bad.

2. Can you get in trouble if they "suspect" its a gun, but not having actually scene it? Not to where its outlining the gun, but just that there is something on your side that could be a gun. If a store owner/manager ask if you have a concealed gun, do you have to answer? Also if a LEO is called out or finds you "printing" what are the repercussions?

3. If you are the passenger in a car, and the driver gets stopped for whatever reason, are you required to inform the LEO that you have a permit/are carrying?

Thanks.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 1

Re: First Concealed Carry...With Questions..

Post by carlson1 »

JonnySW wrote:Finally got my permit the other day, already been to a few store and like most the first time, a little nervous. Im using a Alien Gear IWB holster for my Smith 9mm, and its a full size. I really have a few questions...

1. What is considered "printing"? If i wear a regular T shirt, you can tell there is SOMETHING on my side at times. Mainly where the shirt rests on the butt of the gun, if i wear say a polo shirt, or a thicker material, its not bad.
There is nothing in the Texas law about "printing." I am not for sure what planet this was spun from, but it does not exist here in the Great State of Texas. A lot of people have just read the word "printing" I guess from other States web sights. Of course as you know it goes unsaid that you probably want to wear loose shirts. If you are wearing an IWB (In Waist Band) holster your T-shirt is going to probably be fine if it is not skin tight.
JonnySW wrote: 2. Can you get in trouble if they "suspect" its a gun, but not having actually scene it? Not to where its outlining the gun, but just that there is something on your side that could be a gun. If a store owner/manager ask if you have a concealed gun, do you have to answer? Also if a LEO is called out or finds you "printing" what are the repercussions?
The bulge could be anything. It is possible to be a cell phone, a glucose meter, knife, etc. . . On the printing see question #1.
JonnySW wrote: 3. If you are the passenger in a car, and the driver gets stopped for whatever reason, are you required to inform the LEO that you have a permit/are carrying?
There is no law that says you must even speak when someone else is being stopped. If the officer ask for ID then you are required to present your CHL (even though there is now no penalty if you don't).

I think you will probably find like the rest of us have the more you carry the more comfortable you will become. Honestly you will find that no one is even paying attention to you. It is like when you were a teenager with pimples.
:biggrinjester:

Topic author
JonnySW

Post by JonnySW »

carlson1 wrote:
JonnySW wrote:Finally got my permit the other day, already been to a few store and like most the first time, a little nervous. Im using a Alien Gear IWB holster for my Smith 9mm, and its a full size. I really have a few questions...

There is nothing in the Texas law about "printing." I am not for sure what planet this was spun from, but it does not exist here in the Great State of Texas. A lot of people have just read the word "printing" I guess from other States web sights. Of course as you know it goes unsaid that you probably want to wear loose shirts. If you are wearing an IWB (In Waist Band) holster your T-shirt is going to probably be fine if it is not skin tight.
JonnySW wrote: 2. Can you get in trouble if they "suspect" its a gun, but not having actually scene it? Not to where its outlining the gun, but just that there is something on your side that could be a gun. If a store owner/manager ask if you have a concealed gun, do you have to answer? Also if a LEO is called out or finds you "printing" what are the repercussions?
The bulge could be anything. It is possible to be a cell phone, a glucose meter, knife, etc. . . On the printing see question #1.
JonnySW wrote: 3. If you are the passenger in a car, and the driver gets stopped for whatever reason, are you required to inform the LEO that you have a permit/are carrying?
There is no law that says you must even speak when someone else is being stopped. If the officer ask for ID then you are required to present your CHL (even though there is now no penalty if you don't).

I think you will probably find like the rest of us have the more you carry the more comfortable you will become. Honestly you will find that no one is even paying attention to you. It is like when you were a teenager with pimples.
Thanks, that helps!! i was just looking thru the new 2014 CHL laws for TX and your correct, nothing about printing. Only thing i found was it was a misdemeanor to display your firearm with the intent to alarm.

Steamboat

Post by Steamboat »

I agree with carlson1 and sbrawley. It becomes more comfortable each time you carry. My wife mentioned a few days ago that she doesn't realize that I'm carrying and has even questioned me a couple of times. Now that she has become comfortable with it, she is now wanting to get her CHL.
"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." — Will Rogers

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Now that you know "printing" isn't illegal, the next step is to try out different ways of concealment that minimizes "printing".
Different IWB positions, different holsters, maybe a different carry gun.

Reading between the lines in the original post, I got the feeling that the OP is "printing" badly.... not just "I'm nervous and new at this".
While even "printing badly" isn't a crime, it can bring you unwanted attention. If you're "printing badly", don't worry, but DO work on it.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

howdy

Post by howdy »

carlson1 wrote:

Carlson1 answered your questions very well. I just want to clarify one little thing. If you are the passenger and the LEO asks for YOUR ID, then you should show your DL and CHL. You probably understood what he meant. I can assure you, almost everyone that carry's will look in the mirror to make sure they are not showing. I have changed shirts when the first one did not do a good job. I have changed holsters and guns to get a better concealment. (We all have a drawer full of holsters) I carry different guns with different types of clothing.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Topic author
JonnySW

Post by JonnySW »

Thanks everyone, that does clear a lot up. I'm not printing badly, just more than i would like. I did order a gun belt, should be in soon, so I hope that helps.

My only other concern would be if a shopper or staff person suspects that I am carrying, or assumes but without actually seeing the gun, can they ask you to leave based on that assumption?

Would there be any implications if you lied to the person (not an Leo obviously).

DocV

Post by DocV »

JonnySW wrote:Thanks everyone, that does clear a lot up. I'm not printing badly, just more than i would like. I did order a gun belt, should be in soon, so I hope that helps.

My only other concern would be if a shopper or staff person suspects that I am carrying, or assumes but without actually seeing the gun, can they ask you to leave based on that assumption?

Would there be any implications if you lied to the person (not an Leo obviously).
If a nosey someone asks me about a bulge under my shirt I just ask them if they have heard of a colostomy bag. Really, most people never notice a thing.

All that said, a business owner can ask you to leave for practically any reason. If they do, just be friendly and walk out the door. The chances of this happening because somebody assumes you are carrying are practically nonexistent.

Return to “New to CHL?”