out of state permit

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
ilo01
Posts in topic: 1

out of state permit

Post by ilo01 »

I recently moved to Texas from West Virginia. I have a CHL in West Virginia, which Texas has a reciprocity agreement with. I was curious: if I can simply change my address on my West Virginia permit to my new address in Texas that is on my Texas driver's license (which will make it valid again - my permit must have my current address); will I be able to bypass all the fees and waiting and be able to carry a concealed handgun? (this is assuming I can change my West Virginia permit to an out of state address)

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Re: out of state permit

Post by Jumping Frog »

If it remains a valid WV license, then it will be valid in Texas.

I recommend you check the answer at http://www.wvcdl.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. They are the experts on WV licenses and laws.

That said, I still recommend you take the Texas training. Texas law is different than WV law, and personally I would want to be familiar with the specific laws covering Texas on use of deadly force, justification, signage, where to carry, etc.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Your WV permit is no longer valid once you are no longer a WV resident.
You'll need to apply for a TX permit, or some other State permit that issues licenses to non residents.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/westvirginia.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
West Virginia does not issue Permit/Licenses to Non-Residents
http://www.ago.wv.gov/Documents/gunrece ... 014%29.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Must be 21 years of age or older and a bona fide resident of the county of application
Last edited by RoyGBiv on Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

ilo01 wrote:I recently moved to Texas from West Virginia. I have a CHL in West Virginia, which Texas has a reciprocity agreement with. I was curious: if I can simply change my address on my West Virginia permit to my new address in Texas that is on my Texas driver's license (which will make it valid again - my permit must have my current address); will I be able to bypass all the fees and waiting and be able to carry a concealed handgun? (this is assuming I can change my West Virginia permit to an out of state address)
Welcome to the forum. :tiphat:

West Virginia does not issue non-resident licenses, so you would not be able to change your address and make it valid. That said, you can either take the Texas CHL course and get a Texas license, or get a non-resident license from another state like Virginia or Florida that will allow you to carry in Texas with some limitations.

Here are the laws for WV showing no non-resident license http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/westvirginia.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jumping Frog »

RoyGBiv wrote:Your WV permit is no longer valid once you are no longer a WV resident.
You'll need to apply for a TX permit, or some other State permit that issues licenses to non residents.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/westvirginia.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
West Virginia does not issue Permit/Licenses to Non-Residents
http://www.ago.wv.gov/Documents/gunrece ... 014%29.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Must be 21 years of age or older and a bona fide resident of the county of application
Not so fast!

Actual statute can be more complicated than a handgunlaw.us summary.

For example, Ohio also does not have non-resident licenses and a person must be an Ohio resident to qualify for license issuance. However, the conditions under which an Ohio license can be revoked are also precisely defined in statute, a license holder moving out of state is not a valid reason to revoke an Ohio license. That is why I still have my Ohio license and it is still valid until it expires (I cannot renew it).

That is why I suggested he check the nuances at WVCDL. It may or may not remain valid, but they certainly have the expertise to give a definitive answer.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

victory

Post by victory »

Good advice Jumping Frog. The locals probably have the best understanding of WV law.

Busykngt

Post by Busykngt »

A little Appalachian (hillbilly) humor.

People from West {by god} Virginia, say WV is THE largest state.....

....IF it were laid out flat. :lol:

--
I agree with an earlier posting, do the Texas CHL thang; seems to me it'd be worth it! :thumbsup:

Return to “New to CHL?”