Nobody's noticed thus far

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
proheath
Posts in topic: 1

Nobody's noticed thus far

Post by proheath »

It is now *technically* day 3 of my concealed carry journey, and I gotta say, I'm lovin' it.

I've done 3 Wally Walks. One on the day of receipt of my plastic, one while ordering a prescription for meds, and another to pick up said prescription. On the most recent visit, a local LEO happened to turn in to Walmart immediately after me. Sure enough, he was actually making a visit of his own, and was 10 feet (give or take) behind me as I entered the premises. That was the most anxious I have felt during my time carrying, as I carry at roughly 5 o'clock and my piece is most likely going to be visible from the rear (if at all). Nevertheless, I was not confronted. While this is probably all "new CHL holder paranoia", if an LEO noticed, I doubt he/she would give it much thought, as I'm a short, young, clean-cut, well-mannered white kid. If anyone was under the impression that I was carrying, I'd like to think that they would know right off the bat that I intend no harm.

I stayed the night at my best bud's house the day I received my plastic. I did not make it known that I was carrying until the end of the night, although he was aware that I had undergone the initial process and was only waiting on the physical license to arrive. We had plans to fish in the morning, and he lives a bit out of town, so I crashed there. Upon making my space on his couch, I removed my holster and spare mag from my waistband and pocket. I was greeted by a "what the heck" kind of response, as he had no idea I was packin' all night. I spent a solid 4 hours in close-quarters with this dude, and he did not notice a thing.

That being said, I am now 100% confident in my ability to conceal my piece properly.

Feels great to be a legal member of the CCW world.

RetNavy

Re: Nobody's noticed thus far

Post by RetNavy »

congrats on your plastic and Wally walk.... first couple days after getting mine and after weeks of carry at home my wife never knew i was carrying until i put it the safe at night. even the LEO's getting coffee at the local cofee shop never gave a second glance when i go in while carrying
"Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward. Freedom will be defended!"
-President George W. Bush, September 11, 2001

johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

I open carry on our ranch at the 4:00 position and recently had a buddy visit for a day or two. I carried around him for hours and he didn't notice the gun until I pointed it out :txflag: .
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

CleverNickname

Post by CleverNickname »

Yeah at first when you start carrying you think that everyone's going to know and point you out.

But then after awhile you realize that you could OC and 75% or more of the people you meet still wouldn't notice.

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jumping Frog »

CleverNickname wrote: But then after awhile you realize that you could OC and 75% or more of the people you meet still wouldn't notice.
People are even more clueless than that. Before moving to Texas, I open carried almost every day, and 99% of people never noticed.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

killerfly128
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by killerfly128 »

CleverNickname wrote:Yeah at first when you start carrying you think that everyone's going to know and point you out.

[ Image ]

But then after awhile you realize that you could OC and 75% or more of the people you meet still wouldn't notice.
Nailed it. I used to be super paranoid about being spotted, now I no longer worry. People would barely notice a gun if you super-glued it to your forehead.

^ Typical American now days. If it doesn't involve them directly, they don't care.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

killerfly128 wrote:
CleverNickname wrote:Yeah at first when you start carrying you think that everyone's going to know and point you out.

[ Image ]

Nailed it. I used to be super paranoid about being spotted, now I no longer worry. People would barely notice a gun if you super-glued it to your forehead.

[ Image ]
^ Typical American now days. If it doesn't involve them directly, they don't care.
How can they notice a firearm on my hip if they have their face buried in their phone?

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

killerfly128
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by killerfly128 »

anygunanywhere wrote:
killerfly128 wrote:

[ Image ]

[ Image ]
How can they notice a firearm on my hip if they have their face buried in their phone?

Anygunanywhere
I guess I could shoot their phone .... Driving would be safer. :lol:

LAYGO

Post by LAYGO »

[ Image ]

+1

I had kind of 'read ahead' that people do not really notice, so I was less worried, but I was still kind of. I quickly got over it. Just look at how inattentive people are in walking/driving & you will realize they do not even give you a second glance.

Tonight at dinner. I was with 2 friends & their CHL & I never even bothered to see if they were carrying/printing.

Unless you're on a runway, people aren't evaluating your outfit.
S&W M&P 40 Mid (EDC) - S&W Shields (his/hers) - S&W M&P .45C - S&W 4513TSW .45 (1st Gen, retired to nightstand)
CMMG AR15 w/ACOG
Anderson AR15 pistol w/Aimpoint H1

08/04/2013 CHL class taken - plastic rec'd 08/26! Renewed 2018

interesting10

Post by interesting10 »

So, I have been carrying everyday! I even helped my son and fiancé move with the help of my sister and brother. No one noticed that I was carrying. I informed my husband when I returned home and he said " where at, I didn't notice" :anamatedbanana
Interesting10

Undertaker57

Post by Undertaker57 »

I got my plastic in the mail a couple of weeks ago and have been carrying everywhere - except at work. They have a policy against carrying inside the building. There is no sign but the rule is in our handbook, so I believe that I have been given effective notice; though I am very unhappy about it. My gun is always in the truck though, and it goes into my pocket as soon as I start the engine. It has become second nature to just slip it in. My wife got her CHL the same time that I did, but she has only carried a couple of times in her purse. I assume that since she isn't always carrying, she forgets that I am. It often takes her by surprise when we get home from dinner or running errands and I pull the gun out of my pocket. If she doesn't think that I am carrying, then its a pretty safe bet that your average schmo at the store doesn't know it either. That makes me feel better and helped to shake off the newbie jitters quickly.
God bless the Republic of Texas . . . and football!

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Undertaker57 wrote:...My gun is always in the truck though, and it goes into my pocket as soon as I start the engine. It has become second nature to just slip it in.... and I pull the gun out of my pocket.
Are you using a pocket holster, or are you just placing the gun in your pocket?
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Undertaker57 wrote:I got my plastic in the mail a couple of weeks ago and have been carrying everywhere - except at work. They have a policy against carrying inside the building. There is no sign but the rule is in our handbook, so I believe that I have been given effective notice; though I am very unhappy about it. My gun is always in the truck though, and it goes into my pocket as soon as I start the engine. It has become second nature to just slip it in. My wife got her CHL the same time that I did, but she has only carried a couple of times in her purse. I assume that since she isn't always carrying, she forgets that I am. It often takes her by surprise when we get home from dinner or running errands and I pull the gun out of my pocket. If she doesn't think that I am carrying, then its a pretty safe bet that your average schmo at the store doesn't know it either. That makes me feel better and helped to shake off the newbie jitters quickly.
I understand what you're saying about work. I'm in the same boat, however, my employer has either chosen to not give effective notice or is still getting bad information from their lawyer and has not put the 30.06 verbiage into the handbook or any policy. They have no signage anywhere on the property. This is notice that I may be terminated if I violate their policy, but they could not prosecute me since they really haven't given "effective" notice according to 30.06. So, unless your employer has done more than mine I suspect you haven't really been given effective notice either.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

It's not a violation for your weapon to print.

"Unlax"
Bugs Bunny :mrgreen:
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

Undertaker57

Post by Undertaker57 »

Jumping Frog wrote:
Undertaker57 wrote:...My gun is always in the truck though, and it goes into my pocket as soon as I start the engine. It has become second nature to just slip it in.... and I pull the gun out of my pocket.
Are you using a pocket holster, or are you just placing the gun in your pocket?
Right now I just have an IWB holster, but the pocket holster I ordered should be in any day now. I wear a suit to work everyday which makes it hard to use the IWB when I get to my truck. I'm a pretty big guy and do not always wear the suit coat unless I have to - especially in Texas summers, and my job requires me to be outdoors alot. For winter months when a coat is on all the time it will be no problem, but I have figured out that in the heat, a pocket holster will work much better for me. Just a personal preference. I have been pocketing the gun in the IWB, but it moves around too much which is why I ordered a pocket holster.
God bless the Republic of Texas . . . and football!

Return to “New to CHL?”