My first weekend carrying!

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
bmoorekumplete
Posts in topic: 2

My first weekend carrying!

Post by bmoorekumplete »

I've had my plastic for a few days now and the holiday weekend was a great opportunity to get out there and build confidence in my ability to conceal my firearm and practice my situational awareness. I kind of felt obligated to make sure that WalMart was where I completed my first carry since that seems to be an unofficial rule here. I carried a M&P Shield 9mm with a molded kydex holster and I found that appendix carry worked best for me. The gun just disappeared and I was never nervous about any obvious printing or being spotted. It worked very well with my body shape so I was always comfortable, even in extended sitting situations. I visited my local mall, Target, a restaurant, etc. Everything felt natural except trying on pants in the fitting room. Probably because this is so new to me but it was odd removing the holster in the fitting room. My fiancé and I caught a movie and that's where I ran into my first 30.06 sign. I had to take a walk back to the car and put the gun in the trunk. That was a little annoying but I was proud of spotting the sign and making sure I was following the law like I was taught in my class. It was a little dark walking back to my car after the movie. Couldn't help but think what if something happened and my dang gun was in the trunk instead of on me. I ran into another 30.06 sign at a jewelry store where I was shopping for a wedding band to match my fiancé's engagement ring. All in all, it was a great weekend and a huge confidence builder. It's given me a lot to think about. I'll have a wife to protect soon so getting my CHL is feeling like a great decision so far. Hoping to be a responsible carrier for many years to come.

howdy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: My first weekend carrying!

Post by howdy »

Go to Cinemark Theaters...no 30.06. I bet you went to Jareds. Anti-gun and too expensive. Don't forget there are many other choices out there. Congratulations on your plastic.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Topic author
bmoorekumplete
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bmoorekumplete »

howdy wrote:Go to Cinemark Theaters...no 30.06. I bet you went to Jareds. Anti-gun and too expensive. Don't forget there are many other choices out there. Congratulations on your plastic.
We've got a psychic here ;-) I did go to Jared but I'll definitely keep my options open. Thanks for the tip on Cinemark. The one at Vista Ridge mall is really close by so I'll be going there form now on.

Steamboat

Post by Steamboat »

Congratulations! It will become more comfortable each time you carry.
"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." — Will Rogers

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Welcome to the forum!

It sounds like you're off to a great start in the Texas CHL community.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

GlockDude26

Post by GlockDude26 »

me personally i don't ever make the walk of shame. if i see a sign my only walk is back to the truck to support other businesses that do believe my or my family's safety is as important as their feel good emotions.....
"Our houses are protected by the Good Lord and a gun, you might em both if you show up here not welcome son" Josh Thompson- Way out here (best song ever) "eventually all citizens will become criminals with enough legislation....."

johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

bmoorekumplete wrote:.. Everything felt natural except trying on pants in the fitting room. Probably because this is so new to me but it was odd removing the holster in the fitting room....
Wait until you have to use the pottie :mrgreen: . Congrats for being alert and looking for signs, now you can build a list of businesses to avoid.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

tomdavis

Post by tomdavis »

I too just got my CHL and have a S&W Shield 9mm. Started out with a hybrid holster and then got a pocket kydex. Still not quite right. Found a leather IWB pancake style worn at 2:00 and that seems to work the best. Just remember that the only reason we need to buy things like holsters and spend time at the range is to protect her. I remind my wife it is all for her...and she rolls her eyes. :roll:
...for as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom – for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself. Arbroath, 4/6/1320.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Welcome bmoore.

If you were at an AMC theater, like the one at the Grapevine Mills Mall, the last time I was there it was not a valid one. It has been a few years, but the last time I was there I noticed a small one in the corner of one of their windows printed on a couple sheets of 8.5x11 paper. I didn't even look to see if they were worded correctly because they were way too small anyway. However, their signs on the mall entrances are large enough, but the wording is incorrect. I actually was in the mall this past weekend and noticed one of the entrances was under construction or has been redone and the extra large metal incorrect sign has been replaced with a smaller, but still correct size sign that also has the incorrect wording. :banghead: :lol:

I still went right on in.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “New to CHL?”