Now what do you find yourself doing different?

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

OnceFired
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Now what do you find yourself doing different?

Post by OnceFired »

I don't look for concealed carriers.

I look for people who are acting skootchy. Hovering, following, encroaching on personal space. No eye contact, too much eye contact, etc. My favorite is the one who's "doing nothing" - people don't DO that in stores. You shop or you leave - WalMart is not a theme park, and the only lines they have are checkout not rollercoasters. The guy sitting there looking at the same 4' section of shelving for 10 minutes straight? I'd give him added space & additional attention.

I worked retail for years - and the number of people in any given store on any given day attempting to or actually behaving in a criminal way is staggering. If they're willing to steal, they don't care about you at all. Once I even caught an employee who was stealing red-handed. And to think this young man had been empowered to handle & sell firearms in the gun section.

Having my CCW merely gives me more capability than without one. It is up to me to be vigilant and proactive with or without it.

OF
Video games are an escape from reality. Gun ownership is for when you can't.
CHL - 07/03/12 submitted, 09/07/12 received
Texas Security Guard Jobs

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

I have found myself aware that I am less irritated while driving (ie: less road rage)
pre-CHL, someone cuts me off, or is just a (insert word of choice!).... I would give them the 1 finger salute and yell at them.

Now, I just let them drive on, or I slow down to get more room between me and them.
I simply do not want to instigate a situation where the eventuality is drawing and using a weapon and then found to be the cause.
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

CHLLady

Post by CHLLady »

You guys crack me up!

I'm with Teamless, I am less inclined to escalate my anger while driving. If someone's in a hurry, I pull over to let them pass. If you ride my bumper, I just can't seem to find the gas pedal.

My SA has definitely increased. Hubby and I went to lunch at Taco Cabana, upon entering, I did a visual sweep of everyone in the restaurant, as did hubby. My eyes landed on a casually dressed officer, might have been a school cop. He immediately had eyes on us and watched us the whole time. It's always good to know who is watching you. ;-)
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

Reverand John

Post by Reverand John »

New to CHL, but when armed I find myself practicing enhanced situational awareness, looking for those tell-tale signs that could indicate trouble, choosing my seat, and that of my wife, carefully when eating out, always playing the "what would I do" game.
"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined." George Washington

Return to “New to CHL?”