What I learned in my first 4 years.

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
schufflerbot
Posts in topic: 1

What I learned in my first 4 years.

Post by schufflerbot »

My renewal is coming up here soon and realizing that made me sit back and reminisce for a bit on the last 4 years. Here are some thoughts I've had rattling in my head, make use of em if you can.

1. Carry always, carry with a round chambered and PRACTICE DRAWING YOUR WEAPON. I've only had to place my hand on my weapon once in the last 4 years; never drew it, but I sure was thankful in that moment that I'd taken the time to locate and acquire a good carry holster, that there was a round waiting in the chamber for me and that I was more than confident in my ability to quickly take down the threat should I be forced to.

2. Guns can easily be resold in the great state of Texas; buy one, carry it for a while then move on to something else. Either keep or sell the previous weapon, but explore your options - this is truly the only way to experience a wide range of carry options; one hour at the range with your buddy's 1911 isn't going to be enough data for you to make an educated decision on an EDC. To assist in this endeavor, learn to make your own holsters.

3. The weapon under your shirt is the LEAST used item you'll ever carry but it is the last line of defense. The first - and in my opinion the most important one - is your sense of awareness; train this skill FAR more than you train to fire your weapon, it will help keep you from ever having to use the last line of defense.

4. Caliber doesn't really matter, nobody wants to get shot with anything... but I carry a 45ACP because ballistic testing has shown me time and time again that it DEVASTATES where other calibers just penetrate. This is my own testing, shooting my preferred carry ammo at the targets I either made or purchased. Do your own testing and make up your own mind; the overwhelming amount of information available on the web will only confuse and annoy most folks.

5. Relax. Seriously, I can spot a new CHL from a mile away - and that's not a good thing. I know I was the exact same way for the first couple of years but I eventually learned that I was making a spectacle of myself. Scowls and over analytical visual sweeps of the local Denny's is unnecessary and goofy. Pay attention but don't go overboard, your blood pressure and spouse will thank you for it.

6. Griping at a Buffalo Wild Wing's manager for his company's decision to post 'guns not welcome on premises' signs at the entrance of all their restaurants is a moot point and will not get you anywhere. Eat elsewhere, carry quietly until they post 30.06 signs or leave it in your car. Arguing the pros and cons of this policy with someone who has no control over it is a waste of time; this goes for all similarly branded establishments.

7. Stop tugging at the back of your shirt.

8. Don't go to the range alone; take along someone who shoots WAY better than you then ask for guidance. If you outshoot all your friends, ask the manager at the range if there is anyone he might recommend who can at least watch and give some pointers.

9. Whatever habits you develop while training or just living day to day with your carry weapon will transition over to 'real life.' Be aware of this and develop good habits - removing your weapon and placing it on the dinner table while you eat might be ok at home while it's just you and the wife but Chili's frowns upon it.

10. Listen and learn from those with more experience; not just regarding concealed carry but in all aspects of life. I've found that sitting and talking with folks about shooting often leads to more in depth and meaningful conversations about all aspects of living and I cannot begin to put a price tag on what I've learned from the old white haired guy on lane 9 putting quarter sized holes into the center ring from 20 yards with his duty revolver from 1980... very little of it has anything to do with guns.

WildBill

Re: What I learned in my first 4 years.

Post by WildBill »

Interesting observations. I agree with most, but I have a couple quibbles. Thanks for posting. :tiphat:

1) Always carrying and practicing your draw are two separate processes.

2) I partially agree. Based on trial and error I may change my EDC, but I rarely sell a gun.

8) I agree, in principle, but not practical. Go to the range as often as you can and practice. Having along a mentor is a blessing.

9) LOL

10) :thumbs2:
NRA Endowment Member

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

I am in the same camp as WildBill for the most part. Key learnings for me have been similar to the OPs in general, though I must admit that some of the thought processes / habits that I picked up were largely a result of monitoring this forum for a while prior to getting my CHL.

Along the lines of items 1, 8, 9 and 10, TRAIN, and do so in an environment where you can draw from a holster, acquire a sight picture and get shots on paper under stress and under different circumstances. IDPA, USPSA and the like are excellent in providing stress in the form of a clock and different scenarios. Training one's mind (item number 3) is definitely an important aspect, but training one's body to function acceptably under stress is no less important. Along those lines, settling on an acceptable platform and getting some good training running that platform (in other words, becoming pretty darn proficient running the gun) will help a great deal in performing under stress. I am reminded of an old saying that goes something like, "Beware the man with one well-worn gun -- he probably knows how to use it". I intend to continue training for the foreseeable future, but my carry and practice guns (same platform) no longer resemble safe queens, and I take some comfort in seeing the signs of wear.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

bigity
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bigity »

I still do number 7 after a nearly a year. I do it far less, but I almost always feel to check after I have to bend down to pick up/move/get something or a strong gust of west Texas wind comes through - which in Lubbock, can be pretty dang frequent.
USAF Veteran|Ex-DoD Contractor|Information Technology
EDC: Springfield Armory XD Sub-Compact 40S&W 3"

joe817

Post by joe817 »

bigity wrote:I still do number 7 after a nearly a year. I do it far less, but I almost always feel to check after I have to bend down to pick up/move/get something or a strong gust of west Texas wind comes through - which in Lubbock, can be pretty dang frequent.
And when the wind does gust, be sure & keep your mouth closed, or you'll get a mouthful of dirt. :biggrinjester:

JUST KIDDING!
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

bigity
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bigity »

Not really :P

I close my mouth, my eyes, and turn my nose away from the wind if I can :lol:

It's a holding action at best usually.
USAF Veteran|Ex-DoD Contractor|Information Technology