The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
lildave40
Posts in topic: 2

New to CHL And scenerio

Post by lildave40 »

Hello

I have already submitted for my CHL and waiting for it. But I want your thoughts on what you would do as a chl holder. I was sitting in my truck at a light Traffic was heavy when 3 people approached my truck and began beating my truck trying to get me out. When I saw the person at my passenger window had his gun pointed at me. I floored it to get out of there. This happened in a matter of seconds. Would I have been wrong if I drew my weapon prior to seeing the pistol or driving off like I did was correct?

TVGuy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: New to CHL And scenerio

Post by TVGuy »

Welcome to the forum!

You're alive and unharmed, so I'd say you did well.

I'd have had my gun ready to use (in my hand and low) just in case, but would have done whatever I could to drive away as you did.

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

Welcome to the forum!

It is reasonable to draw your gun -- a lethal force tool/option -- if in reasonable fear for your life. To me, someone with a gun pointed generally in my direction immediately outside my vehicle would qualify as such a case. That said, since you were in a running vehicle the most expeditious thing to do is put distance between you and the gun, which you did. I think I'd have probably done the same given the facts as you presented them.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

I think you would definitely be justified in drawing and shooting at someone who is trying to gain unlawful entry into your occupied vehicle, especially if they have a gun pulled out.

However, as others have said, speeding off is a great option too. The faster and further away you can get, the better you are. If you did pull out your gun instead, the guy on the outside with the gun might have enough time to shoot you.

In the end, it's all about getting home. In those situations, go with your gut. We can Monday Morning Quarterback it all day, but only you know the true scenario, and only you know the best avenue of escape.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

Like the man says.... your use of a gun should be a last resort. Since you had a better option (i.e. the gas petal in a vehicle that was on and running), you don't deduct any points for using the better option.

While you might have been legally OK to use your gun, when faced with an assailant that had a gun drawn and roughly pointing at you, even if you prevailed in the gun battle, you still had two other assailants to deal with, and then there would be the aftermath, talking with the cops, dealing with the inevitable publicity, etc.

Like I said - no points deducted for taking a better option!

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

Now, you wanna tell us the rest of the story, why these guys picked you alone out of a heavily trafficed intersection?
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Escape is always the best solution, when it's possible. Your gun is for when you CAN'T escape.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Topic author
lildave40

Post by lildave40 »

n5wd wrote:Like the man says.... your use of a gun should be a last resort. Since you had a better option (i.e. the gas petal in a vehicle that was on and running), you don't deduct any points for using the better option.

While you might have been legally OK to use your gun, when faced with an assailant that had a gun drawn and roughly pointing at you, even if you prevailed in the gun battle, you still had two other assailants to deal with, and then there would be the aftermath, talking with the cops, dealing with the inevitable publicity, etc.

Like I said - no points deducted for taking a better option!

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

Now, you wanna tell us the rest of the story, why these guys picked you alone out of a heavily trafficed intersection?
I work outside Sales so I must keep my truck presentable. The Mister car wash I went to was on the east side of town off uvalde. The cop told me they probably Followed me from the Car wash and were going to take my truck for parts. All I know is the only thing I could think of was what if my Daughter, family were with me? Then what were my options to protect them?

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

re: the guys following you from the car wash... Sounds like it mighta been that.

The "last resort" sounds like a cliche' but it's definitely true: if there's another way out of the situation, it's going to be the better choice.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

sugar land dave

Post by sugar land dave »

A good run is better than a poor stand. Your story lends a little proof to that old wisdom. Glad it worked out for you.
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

lildave40 wrote:Hello

I have already submitted for my CHL and waiting for it. But I want your thoughts on what you would do as a chl holder. I was sitting in my truck at a light Traffic was heavy when 3 people approached my truck and began beating my truck trying to get me out. When I saw the person at my passenger window had his gun pointed at me. I floored it to get out of there. This happened in a matter of seconds. Would I have been wrong if I drew my weapon prior to seeing the pistol or driving off like I did was correct?
Legally wrong, no. Tactically wrong, yes. You would have had to drawn your pistol, swung it in his direction and fired before he could fire his pistol which was in the ready position. You made the better choice.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

RetNavy

Post by RetNavy »

just found out that a friend of mine and a great former coworker just passed his CHL class today.... he's a retired Marine Gunny.... I told him about this board and all the great info on, don't know if he'll sign up or not....since when does a Jarhead listen to a Squid :biggrinjester: :smilelol5: :biggrinjester: rarely see him anymore and he did mention also that he was taking his grand daughter to Disneyland this week. so at least one more to join the ranks of CHL holders today
"Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward. Freedom will be defended!"
-President George W. Bush, September 11, 2001

Return to “New to CHL?”