Psychiatric treatment left off application

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Javier730
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Psychiatric treatment left off application

Post by Javier730 »

Whether or not you tell them, they are gonna know about it. Not sure if you will be completely rejected but you are gonna be delayed. Im sure the fact that you are on medication for mood swings will be an issue. I dont know if the dps will contact your doctor and get his opinion. Im sure someone more knowledgeable will respond soon. Welcome to the forum.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

R DAVIS
Posts in topic: 4

Post by R DAVIS »

Beyond the question at hand about your answer on the application, there is another more important question you need to ask yourself.

If you DO have a personality disorder (anxiety in this case), should you be walking around with a loaded pistol in your pocket ? Anxiety requiring medication to control, and immediate access to a deadly weapon on a moments notice, is not a good combination.

There must certainly be a genuine issue of some kind that caused you to seek treatment in the first place. I doubt you just wandered into a psychiatrists office on your own, seeking relief from a common cold.

Whether or not you are granted a license, it is your moral duty to yourself, family, and society, to find out the nature and depth of the issue. It might be a good idea to ask the psychiatrist about it specifically.

Topic author
Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

R DAVIS wrote:Beyond the question at hand about your answer on the application, there is another more important question you need to ask yourself.

If you DO have a personality disorder (anxiety in this case), should you be walking around with a loaded pistol in your pocket ? Anxiety requiring medication to control, and immediate access to a deadly weapon on a moments notice, is not a good combination.

There must certainly be a genuine issue of some kind that caused you to seek treatment in the first place. I doubt you just wandered into a psychiatrists office on your own, seeking relief from a common cold.

Whether or not you are granted a license, it is your moral duty to yourself, family, and society, to find out the nature and depth of the issue. It might be a good idea to ask the psychiatrist about it specifically.
I didn't want to be the one to say it but :iagree:
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

R DAVIS wrote:Beyond the question at hand about your answer on the application, there is another more important question you need to ask yourself.

That may have been the politest possible way to give voice to what some of us were thinking.

Well done

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Seems like the original post here disappeared. However, with the way that even GP's are handing out anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds these days, I think you'd rule about 20% of the population ineligible for CHL depending on how you define the qualifications. I am highly suspicious of any disqualification of persons for CHL that is not based on an adjudicative process. Merely being prescribed certain meds or seeing a therapist are not an indication of anything without additional context. For example SSRI Wellbutrin is prescribed to people suffering major depression, but it is also prescribed to quit smoking (Chantix). Benzodiazapines (valium, xanax, etc.) are prescribed for anxiety, but dentists give them for prep for certain procedures.

Watch out people. "Mental Illness" is going to be used by the regime to deprive of us of our rights and freedoms. VA and SSA adding people to NICS is the beginning. Soon the State poking around in our medical records to disqualify us from firearm ownership. Hold certain politically incorrect views? You're mentally ill! No passing NICS for you.

Or am I being paranoid? :shock: No CHL for me!
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

ScottDLS wrote:Seems like the original post here disappeared. However, with the way that even GP's are handing out anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds these days, I think you'd rule about 20% of the population ineligible for CHL depending on how you define the qualifications. I am highly suspicious of any disqualification of persons for CHL that is not based on an adjudicative process. Merely being prescribed certain meds or seeing a therapist are not an indication of anything without additional context. For example SSRI Wellbutrin is prescribed to people suffering major depression, but it is also prescribed to quit smoking (Chantix). Benzodiazapines (valium, xanax, etc.) are prescribed for anxiety, but dentists give them for prep for certain procedures.

Watch out people. "Mental Illness" is going to be used by the regime to deprive of us of our rights and freedoms. VA and SSA adding people to NICS is the beginning. Soon the State poking around in our medical records to disqualify us from firearm ownership. Hold certain politically incorrect views? You're mentally ill! No passing NICS for you.

Regardless of what is being taken for, Wellbutrin is evil stuff with a documented history. I certainly wouldn't carry if I had it in my system and I'd hope that I'm not around anyone who is. Benzos aren't anywhere near as dangerous, but I'd still leave the gun locked up. Being under the influence, regardless of the cause, is still under the influence and IMO anyone caught carrying in that condition deserves to be stripped of a CHL. Anyone under doctors care requiring they be under the influence should be denied.

We're already under attack. Why risk the chance of yet another incident with a mentally injured soul? Worse yet - what happens if the next one has a Texas CHL?

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 3

Post by cb1000rider »

I don't know what happened to the prior post either, so I hope we're not bending any rules:

I don't think that the government has any way to "know" - unless it's some sort of federally funded agency. That is, they're not necessarily "gonna know". Not yet anyway. I just got through having this discussion with an MD that assesses mental and physical fitness for the federal government. My statement pertains to private heathcare, not VA.
ScottDLS wrote: Merely being prescribed certain meds or seeing a therapist are not an indication of anything without additional context. For example SSRI Wellbutrin is prescribed to people suffering major depression, but it is also prescribed to quit smoking (Chantix). Benzodiazapines (valium, xanax, etc.) are prescribed for anxiety, but dentists give them for prep for certain procedures.
You'll find that medications have a "primary" use case and although I agree with you that they may have secondary or off-label use, the government assumes that medication use is associated with the primary use case unless other info is provided. There is also a big difference in getting single dosage of valium for pre-op and having an on-going prescription for it.

If you are given an SSRI for a primary use case and indicating that you have no history of depression (or whatever the case may be) that's gonna be a huge flag. Having it historically might be one thing, but taking it currently for primary use and the feds find out, that's not going to be good...

And I agree, pulling rights without adjudication is bad. That's probably where we're headed - guilty per medical records until we can prove otherwise. But having an MD diagnose and treat is actually pretty strong evidence, even if lots of those situations are temporary.

I don't see how in good faith you could seek out a MD, accept treatment, and then say "no". There are a whole class of medications that don't provide the user any sense of impairment, even though reasoning and reaction time is affected.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Taypo wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:Seems like the original post here disappeared. However, with the way that even GP's are handing out anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds these days, I think you'd rule about 20% of the population ineligible for CHL depending on how you define the qualifications. I am highly suspicious of any disqualification of persons for CHL that is not based on an adjudicative process. Merely being prescribed certain meds or seeing a therapist are not an indication of anything without additional context. For example SSRI Wellbutrin is prescribed to people suffering major depression, but it is also prescribed to quit smoking (Chantix). Benzodiazapines (valium, xanax, etc.) are prescribed for anxiety, but dentists give them for prep for certain procedures.

Regardless of what is being taken for, Wellbutrin is evil stuff with a documented history. I certainly wouldn't carry if I had it in my system and I'd hope that I'm not around anyone who is. Benzos aren't anywhere near as dangerous, but I'd still leave the gun locked up. Being under the influence, regardless of the cause, is still under the influence and IMO anyone caught carrying in that condition deserves to be stripped of a CHL. Anyone under doctors care requiring they be under the influence should be denied.

We're already under attack. Why risk the chance of yet another incident with a mentally injured soul? Worse yet - what happens if the next one has a Texas CHL?
Wow, I've heard quite the opposite from medical professionals. Xanax and other benzos are widely abused and apparently you can even die from withdrawal. Meanwhile, Chantix (Wellbutrin) is being handed out to help quit smoking. Isn't it an SSRI/SNRI? If everybody taking SSRI's/SNRI's was "under the influence" we have about 20% of the adult population walking around stoned (the other 80% are drunk! "rlol" ).

I'm worried about the people NOT taking their meds, or vets not seeking treatment for PTSD to avoid being stigmatized and losing their 2nd amendment rights. "Adjudicated mentally defective" should mean just that....a judicial hearing with an opportunity to attend and present evidence in your defense and a presumption of being mentally fit until the government proves otherwise.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

ScottDLS wrote:ite the opposite from medical professionals. Xanax and other benzos are widely abused and apparently you can even die from withdrawal. Meanwhile, Chantix (Wellbutrin) is being handed out to help quit smoking. Isn't it an SSRI/SNRI?
I am not a doctor, but Chantix is not the same as Wellbutrin. You are probably thinking of Zyban.

A former co-worker took Chantix to quit smoking, but it didn't work. He told me he had some very strange side-effects so he had to stop taking it.
NRA Endowment Member

PBR
Posts in topic: 1

Post by PBR »

The mental issue deal is scary with what they can or want to do. Take people that use sleeping pills or have issues falling asleep they classify them as mental disorder. They can pretty much take 70% of chl's away if they feel like it cause of some type of medicine they are taking or issue they have. Main problem is they wont take each case one by one, it will be a wide open deal where like anyone on this medicine or have this issue cannot have a gun period. When everyone's case is different
Last edited by PBR on Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:14 am, edited 4 times in total.
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
Received Pin# - Feb. 25th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

ScottDLS wrote:
Taypo wrote:

Wow, I've heard quite the opposite from medical professionals. Xanax and other benzos are widely abused and apparently you can even die from withdrawal. Meanwhile, Chantix (Wellbutrin) is being handed out to help quit smoking. Isn't it an SSRI/SNRI? If everybody taking SSRI's/SNRI's was "under the influence" we have about 20% of the adult population walking around stoned (the other 80% are drunk! "rlol" ).

I'm worried about the people NOT taking their meds, or vets not seeking treatment for PTSD to avoid being stigmatized and losing their 2nd amendment rights. "Adjudicated mentally defective" should mean just that....a judicial hearing with an opportunity to attend and present evidence in your defense and a presumption of being mentally fit until the government proves otherwise.
I could care less what the adult population is doing, what they're on and how sober they are. I'm more concerned with the 3% of Texas that has the right to carry a concealed handgun. You seem to think that because they gub'mint is grabbing guns, we should be ignoring whatever the underlying issues that got them noticed in the first place. Not everyone is mentally capable of carrying a gun. Possibly even the OP, who has gone into hiding. Add in the combination of drugs behind used to treat whatever it is they're being treated for and we're asking for trouble.

Am I saying that the administration is right for confiscating, especially without adjudication? Certainly not, but it should be sending red flags in someone's direction when someone seeing a professional and taking antidepressants is applying for a CHL

mojo84
Posts in topic: 5

Post by mojo84 »

Two things, it always makes me wonder when a new poster shows up and posts something like this topic for their first post. Seems too much like someone fishing for ammo against us and trying to get us to publicly talk about how to game the system or exploit a loophole. Not saying this person posted this topic with those intentions but it does cross my mind.

Also, I would be very careful about posting any medical or other info that could possibly bring into question one's eligibility for having a LTC or own guns. Unfortunately, our online presence isn't as anonymous as we think. I also suspect we are just a judge's subpoeana away from having our idenity revealed.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

mojo84 wrote:Two things, it always makes me wonder when a new poster shows up and posts something like this topic for their first post. Seems too much like someone fishing for ammo against us and trying to get us to publicly talk about how to game the system or exploit a loophole. Not saying this person posted this topic with those intentions but it does cross my mind.

Also, I would be very careful about posting any medical or other info that could possibly bring into question one's eligibility for having a LTC or own guns. Unfortunately, our online presence isn't as anonymous as we think. I also suspect we are just a judge's subpoeana away from having our idenity revealed.
:iagree: I suspected the same thing about the OP.
NRA Endowment Member

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 3

Post by cb1000rider »

PBR wrote:Take people that use sleeping pills or have issues falling asleep they classify them as mental disorder.
Primary insomnia is in the DSM, but part of the definition... "not attributable to a medical, psychiatric, or environmental cause". I've never seen it used as a disqualifying condition. I wouldn't be too worried about that one. I'd be more worried about being disqualified due to being on a medication that affects judgement.

R DAVIS

Post by R DAVIS »

The OP stated he is under psychiatric care for a personality disorder including ANXIETY, which is serious enough to require medication.

HERE IS THE BOTTOM LINE ! Being involved in ANY situation, even involuntarily, in which the use of a firearm might possibly come into play, is extremely stressful and anxiety causing in and of itself.

As I asked the OP in my previous post, "If you DO have a personality disorder (anxiety in this case), should you be walking around with a loaded pistol in your pocket ? Anxiety requiring medication to control, and immediate access to a deadly weapon on a moments notice, is not a good combination."

It's not about the medication, it's not about the government or civil liberties, it's about the inability to control stress. I don't really want this guy running around loose, packing a pistol, around my family. I was trying to make my point in my original post without being insulting.

Return to “New to CHL?”