Am I eligible for a CHL? (Psychiatric diagnoses)

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Feed&Guns
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Am I eligible for a CHL? (Psychiatric diagnoses)

Post by Feed&Guns »

Here's a different way to look at it.

If Texas says "no", you're response is "I'll get a CHL from a reciprocating state with more lax laws." I'm not really sure how that'd cotton with Texas. If you got charged with a gun crime and they find this history, they'll easily prove intent to "get around' the laws. The system isn't sophisticated enough to catch it (probably), but the intent is to honor other states CHLs as to not inconvenience them. It's not designed to be a way to get around local laws. Of course, you're also the person who will buy a gun at a gunshow because an FFL will be forced to deny you, not because they have a better selection or better pricing. Again, that's a black mark in the eye of the NRA. we are fighting liberals daily trying to say "the gunshow loophole isn't about skirting the law" but your disposition is exactly that. "How can I get around the law".

As for carrying a weapon, you're not supposed to carry if you're impaired anyway. If in Texas' infinite wisdom your history or your current meds are that mind changing, and you're on them regularly, then you probably shouldn't be carrying anyway.

By the way, it's illegal to carry in Texas if "you're impaired". That doesn't mean "0.08" on the breathalyzer. That means "impaired". So if Texas thinks your current scrips make you impaired to get a CHL, then out-of-state CHL or not, if you're on meds when you get a ticket and they see your "licensed gun", you can go to jail anyway. "possession while impaired".

Just sayin.

Oh, and yes, 30-40% of people would be denied because we're in a nanny state of over medicated people. It's also ironic that warning on anti-depressants is "may cause suicidal tendencies." Ya, I want that guy to have a gun.
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Texas Certified CHL/LTC Instructor
FFL 01 SOT 3 - www.aparmory.net

Pecos
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Pecos »

[quoteI would suggest that you not discuss the weapon aspect with your physician. People get real irrational when the subject comes up, even highly educated people (especially highly educated?)][/quote]
:iagree:
Sig AR 516 + Vortex PST Scope

Pecos
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Pecos »

A lot of people take some kind of mild anxiety pills. Is that going to be the next issue? :confused5
Sig AR 516 + Vortex PST Scope

Return to “New to CHL?”