I wonder if I'm fooling anyone

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
FCH
Posts in topic: 2

I wonder if I'm fooling anyone

Post by FCH »

Today is my 30 day anniversary of carrying concealed. I've been to several different stores, including Wally World. I've even carried around Branson, MO for a week. My EDC is a CZ 75D Compact in a Sneaky Pete at my 2:00. I'm in a power chair and wear suspenders that hold up my pants and the SP.

My concern is, does a 5 inch by 7 inch, 2 inch thick leather box really hide that I am CCing?

In my 30 days, I've only had 3 obvious comments.

The first doesn't count because it was my daughter and she knew I was going for my LTC.

The second was at Branson. While waiting for a show, a man across sitting across from me turned to his wife and said something about "holster". When I looked at him, he asked, "Is that a Sneaky Pete?" Turns out he has a MO CHL.

The third one was somebody that does know of my interest in guns. He pointed and said, "38?" I just answered no.

So my real question - are Bad Guys going to know what I have in that huge leather case?
NRA Member
TSRA Member

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 1

Re: I wonder if I'm fooling anyone

Post by baldeagle »

You wouldn't fool anyone who's familiar with the Sneaky Pete, but I doubt anyone else would even noticed. I had no idea what it was and had to look it up. If I had seen it, I wouldn't have thought it held a gun.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

I happen to know what they are, but I imagine most people would think it's a phone case (unless they can see the phone elsewhere). So if you are wearing your cell phone on your belt you might want to find a different place for it if you can.
NRA Benefactor Member

thatguyoverthere

Post by thatguyoverthere »

I have the nylon Sneaky Pete. I like mine a lot. Very comfortable and easy to carry my Ruger LC9. I had the same concern, wondering if anyone could figure out what it is. I went on-line and found a 2 inch diameter embroidered red cross patch. Glued it to the Sneaky Pete holster. Not sure what other people think, but I think if I saw a similar thing on someone else's belt, I would imagine it was some kind of first aid kit or medical supplies or something. Not sure if that would be the right solution for the leather version that you have, but if not, you might give some thought to some kind of similar "camouflage" idea.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

I've seen a few folks wearing them and to me it jumps out as obvious, but that's because I know what they are and I trained myself to recognize them when they first came out.

The small ones are pretty unobtrusive and most folks will never give them a second glance.

An unusually big one like the OP's might attract a bit more scrutiny.

If you really want to be discreet with this carry system, I'd suggest going with a smaller pistol and holster.

An alternative for the OP's situation might be one of the undershirts with a built in underarm holster like the one available from 5.11..

There are also several varieties of fabric "shoulder holsters" that are designed to be worn under your top shirt and which conceal very well.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

CleverNickname

Post by CleverNickname »

I saw a guy carrying in a Sneaky Pete last week. Blindingly obvious.

o b juan

Post by o b juan »

to obvious not fooling anyone

Mexican carry would be better "rlol" "rlol"
CHL Instructor since 95'/ School safety Since Jan 17' :patriot:

casp625

Post by casp625 »

thatguyoverthere wrote:I have the nylon Sneaky Pete. I like mine a lot. Very comfortable and easy to carry my Ruger LC9. I had the same concern, wondering if anyone could figure out what it is. I went on-line and found a 2 inch diameter embroidered red cross patch. Glued it to the Sneaky Pete holster. Not sure what other people think, but I think if I saw a similar thing on someone else's belt, I would imagine it was some kind of first aid kit or medical supplies or something. Not sure if that would be the right solution for the leather version that you have, but if not, you might give some thought to some kind of similar "camouflage" idea.

Looks like you're carrying some sort of medical device right there! :txflag:

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

Jago668 wrote:but I imagine most people would think it's a phone case (unless they can see the phone elsewhere).
He said it was 5" x 7" x 2"... not a phone on the market that big! I son't think Sneaky Pete holsters are all that sneaky.

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

Everyone knows what that is.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Abraham
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Abraham »

Yes, law abiding gun folk 'might' recognize it for what it is, but a criminal, nah...they don't like or use any kind of holsters, so they're not schooled in the various types being used by good gun folk.

You're good to go!

Glockster

Post by Glockster »

Abraham wrote:Yes, law abiding gun folk 'might' recognize it for what it is, but a criminal, nah...they don't like or use any kind of holsters, so they're not schooled in the various types being used by good gun folk.

You're good to go!
:iagree:

I have one for each of my EDCs and I've never had a second glance. I have twice seen someone else with one, recognized it, but they didn't notice me noticing it.
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

thatguyoverthere wrote:I have the nylon Sneaky Pete. I like mine a lot. Very comfortable and easy to carry my Ruger LC9. I had the same concern, wondering if anyone could figure out what it is. I went on-line and found a 2 inch diameter embroidered red cross patch. Glued it to the Sneaky Pete holster. Not sure what other people think, but I think if I saw a similar thing on someone else's belt, I would imagine it was some kind of first aid kit or medical supplies or something. Not sure if that would be the right solution for the leather version that you have, but if not, you might give some thought to some kind of similar "camouflage" idea.

Of course, that's your emergency ventilator! It ventilates things in an emergency.
Last edited by mr1337 on Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

What? You guys don't wear Bianchi or HK Logo tactical fanny packs? I generally wear mine to schools, professional sporting events, and New York City...to carry my camera and pocket Constitution of course. "rlol" "rlol" "rlol"
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Glockster

Post by Glockster »

mr1337 wrote:
Of course, that's your emergency ventilator! It ventilates thing in an emergency.
"rlol" "rlol" "rlol" "rlol" "rlol" "rlol" "rlol" "rlol"

Best funny of the day!
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

Return to “New to CHL?”