The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
FtwBill
Posts in topic: 3

new member Ftw

Post by FtwBill »

Hello all

I wanted to post up my introduction. I've been lurking for some time and it's high time I contribute. This forum has been a wealth of information and without a doubt will make me a more informed and better prepared and safer carrier. I still don't know exactly what will work for me but this forum has been a huge resource for me. Enough of this though lets get on with the waiting!

Class on dec 6th
Fingerprints and all docs submitted dec9th

FtwBill

The Marshal
Posts in topic: 1

Re: new member Ftw

Post by The Marshal »

What a great first post, Bill.

As for 'what will work for you', I highly recommend you find some Shooting Buddies that will let you try out different pistols, and/or go to a god gun range that will allow you to rent the guns and test them. First narrow down what 'fits' your hand and shoots to your liking, then start with what options you want / don't want to pinpoint the firearm.
Just keep in mind that tiny 3" barreled pistols are not stupid accurate shooters like the heavier 5" barreled cousins.

~Bill

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

Howdy and welcome, I agree go rent some guns at the range and see what you like.
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

Topic author
FtwBill

Post by FtwBill »

I've got several options to work with already and I've been shooting a lot more than I did in the past. I will most like carry my Walther PPS 9mm but we will see. Thanks for the welcome!

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

FtwBill wrote:I've got several options to work with already and I've been shooting a lot more than I did in the past. I will most like carry my Walther PPS 9mm but we will see....
Welcome to the forum, Bill. There's more than one of us around here that like the PPS, so you'd be in good company if you do decide to use it as your daily carry. Mine (a 9mm) has been relegated to the #2 slot by a Ruger LC-9s, but I'll still carry it once in a while just because. :tiphat:
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

RW19

Post by RW19 »

n5wd wrote:
FtwBill wrote:I've got several options to work with already and I've been shooting a lot more than I did in the past. I will most like carry my Walther PPS 9mm but we will see....
Welcome to the forum, Bill. There's more than one of us around here that like the PPS, so you'd be in good company if you do decide to use it as your daily carry. Mine (a 9mm) has been relegated to the #2 slot by a Ruger LC-9s, but I'll still carry it once in a while just because. :tiphat:
Do you like the LC9? That trigger pull drove me insane. First shot was always relatively rogue compared to my other shots. I like a shorter trigger.

jed

Post by jed »

RW19 wrote:
n5wd wrote:
Do you like the LC9? That trigger pull drove me insane. First shot was always relatively rogue compared to my other shots. I like a shorter trigger.
I have never shot an LC9, but my wife and I both carry an LC9S. We totally love them although they seem to me to be not as accurate as I would like but after all, who will be shooting a bad guy over 20 ft away. They carry very easy.

TominDallas

Post by TominDallas »

Bill, the range on Lancaster at 820 has a good collection of rental guns you can try out to help with your decision. My wife and I both used .38 SPL revolvers at first. The recoil was too much for her previously shattered wrist bones from an old horseback accident years ago. I bought a Walther CCP 9mm and she loved it. I bought another for myself and it's a pleasure to shoot. I don't know how many rounds have gone through ours but we've taken them to the range about a half dozen times and tend to fire a hundred rounds each, every time. We use whatever ammo we find on sale bought in bulk and Hornady hollow-point when carrying. My CCP was shooting a little low so I installed the shorter front sight and have yet to shoot it. The CCP comes with two mags and three front sights, to fine-tune the aim. The white dot sights were a little bit obscure in lower lighting conditions so I brushed high vis bright orange nail polish into the dot recesses and it fixed the problem.

Topic author
FtwBill

Post by FtwBill »

Thanks for the tip Tom. I do want to shoot the CCP when I get the chance. I went with a Walther PPS and so far I'm really happy with it.

mdubtx

Post by mdubtx »

Welcome, from another Fort Worth and relatively new member. I had about the same start with the forum. Now, just about every web session starts with a visit to see what's up. Great resource.
May we never haver to draw but always be prepared.
:patriot: :txflag:
NRA Benefactor Member / TSRA Family Membership

Return to “New to CHL?”