Arrested for Window Tint...Include disposition?

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

cbunt1
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Arrested for Window Tint...Include disposition?

Post by cbunt1 »

Class "C" does not disqualify.

I can't imagine being hauled in over a tint ticket; but then, I would have never imagined being hauled in over a tail light out either...and I was once upon a time.

Although in my case it was exactly as suggested earlier: declined a search request in contempt of cop, and was subsequently searched incident to arrest.

I was, however simply cuffed, stuffed, and taken to the station, where I signed my ticket and was then released.

And as suggested before, that officer no longer has a job--at least not with the department he was with at the time.

As for getting the disposition, since you were "booked" I would go ahead and have it on hand, but if you're sure the charge was simply window tint/Class-C, I wouldn't let that hold up the application process. Submit, describe, and order the copies in case they ask for them.
American by birth, Texan by the grace of God!

GlassG19
Posts in topic: 6

Post by GlassG19 »

Nuts wrote:I thought mine was bad.

I was thrown in jail for throwing a cigarette out my window when it was raining.

I'm still speechless,, I don't know what to say. Where do y'all live? In Singapore or??? I've never in my life heard of?? I don't know... :confused5 :headscratch
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"- George Washington

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SewTexas »

wow :shock:
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

cbunt1
Posts in topic: 4

Post by cbunt1 »

GlassG19 wrote:

I was thrown in jail for throwing a cigarette out my window when it was raining.

I'm still speechless,, I don't know what to say. Where do y'all live? In Singapore or??? I've never in my life heard of?? I don't know... :confused5 :headscratch
Well, mine happened in a small town in northern Ellis County. And I openly admit there were some "words" exchanged . . . and some small town politics . . . and (allegedly) a wager between some reserve officers as to who could make the most arrests in a month.

That same week a small town newspaper man was arrested for having the cargo light on his Ford Ranger illuminated while in forward motion (Ford cargo lights come on when the dome light is on.)

Weird things happen. They're not the norm, even in politically charged small towns, but they do happen, and sometimes they leave stains.

And trust me, if you're the subject of one of those incidents, it leaves you scratching your head and asking what just happened, and how it can happen here. And makes you grateful that it isn't the norm, and that in the long-run the "system" will clean itself up usually.
American by birth, Texan by the grace of God!

GlassG19

Post by GlassG19 »

cbunt1 wrote:
GlassG19 wrote:

Well, mine happened in a small town in northern Ellis County. And I openly admit there were some "words" exchanged . . . and some small town politics . . . and (allegedly) a wager between some reserve officers as to who could make the most arrests in a month.

That same week a small town newspaper man was arrested for having the cargo light on his Ford Ranger illuminated while in forward motion (Ford cargo lights come on when the dome light is on.)

Weird things happen. They're not the norm, even in politically charged small towns, but they do happen, and sometimes they leave stains.

And trust me, if you're the subject of one of those incidents, it leaves you scratching your head and asking what just happened, and how it can happen here. And makes you grateful that it isn't the norm, and that in the long-run the "system" will clean itself up usually.
You apparently don't live there anymore though? WOW!
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"- George Washington

KC80
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KC80 »

To make it easy, I just printed my arrest off the public records search. It has everything on it from date, diposition, charge, ect. Everything was excepted and no other documents were needed. As to whether you should have sent a copy on when your other documents were sent in I would say yes. Probably would make the process easier. I would just wait now as either way it will prolong the process.
:seeya:

GlassG19

Post by GlassG19 »

KC80 wrote:To make it easy, I just printed my arrest off the public records search. It has everything on it from date, diposition, charge, ect. Everything was excepted and no other documents were needed. As to whether you should have sent a copy on when your other documents were sent in I would say yes. Probably would make the process easier. I would just wait now as either way it will prolong the process.

KC80, do you mind if I send you PM? Got personal question that you may can help with.

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

I once got a warning ticket because one of my three license plate lights had gone out. I wasn't speeding, driving erratically, anything like that. I figure it was because the DPS trooper had seen me nosing around in a secure compound - which we own, it's part of our family business. It was dark, I was checking our property for intruders but there was no way he would have known who I was. He had cause to stop me, and we had a friendly conversation.

Last week, now in a different pickup, I saw while hitching up a trailer one license plate light was out. I hied me to a car parts store and did the right thing, pronto.

The weirdest thing, though, was getting a ticket for 51 in a 40 a few years ago. I sped up a couple of hundred feet before the "Speed Limit 50" sign. The officer was belligerent but I never said anything about that.

I went to the judge and pled guilty, because that was the truth. She set the fine and I paid it. Then I asked if the city could add a 40 mile per hour sign in the area where I and many others have been ticketed. Maybe not 200 feet before the "50", but there is a stretch of road without speed signs, leaving town going downhill, and I think drivers find it easy to start rolling faster before they (myself included) should. Her response that the State would not allow the city to post speed limit signs on city streets prompted me to ask what law I'd actually broken when I drove too fast.

She referred me to the State, saying I broke a State law, not a City ordinance. The State referred me to the city, saying the speed limit wasn't their law and they couldn't read the court's mind. The judge had said the speed limit was set by the State, the State said the city was crazy, they don't set city speed limits.

I even found a Groesbeck Journal article about the judge's presentation to the local Lion's Club in which she was quoted saying the speeds in the city were set by the State, not the city, along the State highway route. That's never true, except in the case of controlled access State highways through cities.

The State DOT reiterated that the judge was misinformed.

As I followed my journey through the law, I wrote letters to the judge that went unanswered. I didn't call or visit.

We're talking four letters over a span of five months, if memory serves. I bet the judge got more junk mail - by far - from the Texas Municipal League during that same time.

After the fourth letter I got a threat, somewhat ungrammatically phrased, from the City Attorney, writing on behalf of the court, saying they would seek a restraining order against me if I wrote again to the court. For four polite letters in five months, asking what law I broke when I drove too stinking' fast.

So I sent a Public Information Act request to the City Manager, who immediately responded with a copy of the City ordinance and a statement the judge was wrong, that the law I broke was not a State law, but a City ordinance. Then the city found a new City Attorney. I have no idea if the two are connected, although I'm hopeful. :-)

Ever weirder, I contacted the State Commission on Judicial Conduct, to see what they thought of a court that wouldn't tell a convict (me) what law was being applied against them. Their response was that courts in Texas, State Constitution and common sense to the contrary, never have to inform the condemned what law they are being charged with breaking.

I believe, bless their hearts, they are wrong.

Oh, and the police officer, I almost forgot. He came from another department who is rumored to have fired him for selling his department-supplied, City-owned handgun through some Internet venue. The City of Groesbeck, where this happened, no longer has him in their employment, and their police are friendly, committed folks. Always were, save for that bad apple, and I'm certain they wouldn't knowingly tolerate black market arms traffickers on their staff.

These days, the city attorney is new but the judge is still there with her rope. If she fines you, don't ask why, just dig out your checkbook and make tracks for anywhere else as soon as you can. :biggrinjester:

allisji

Post by allisji »

treadlightly wrote:I once got a... ticket
Have you posted your story in the LEO Contacts and Bloopers Topic?

This was a great story.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

allisji

Post by allisji »

duplicate post deleted.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Countryside
Banned

Post by Countryside »

I was in law enforcement for nearly 11 years. I guess it has to do with the leadership and the "attitude" in the department. You can arrest for class C misdemeanors...but in my day it was rare. If me or a fellow officer arrested someone for a tail light being out we would have been laughed out of the department...UNLESS there were special, unusual circumstances, and even then we would be called into the Sgts office to explain why.

But window tinting? I don't know , man....that sounds awfully violent and rowdy. ;-)

Topic author
houstonag
Posts in topic: 8

Post by houstonag »

parabelum wrote:So, LEO makes contact with you because of your tint. You comply and are cooperative. LEO places you under arrest?

What am I missing?

Welcome to the Forum!

Thanks! You're not missing anything. I can't make this up. He told me the reason I was being arrested was because my truck was unsafe to drive and put other people at risk. So he arrested me and impounded my truck. It costed more to get my truck out of the impound lot than it did to bail myself out.

Topic author
houstonag
Posts in topic: 8

Post by houstonag »

Thanks for the advice everyone. I guess I'll just wait to see if they request anymore information.

KC80

Post by KC80 »

GlassG19 wrote:
KC80 wrote:To make it easy, I just printed my arrest off the public records search. It has everything on it from date, diposition, charge, ect. Everything was excepted and no other documents were needed. As to whether you should have sent a copy on when your other documents were sent in I would say yes. Probably would make the process easier. I would just wait now as either way it will prolong the process.

KC80, do you mind if I send you PM? Got personal question that you may can help with.
Not at all, what's up?
:seeya:

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

houstonag wrote:
parabelum wrote:So, LEO makes contact with you because of your tint. You comply and are cooperative. LEO places you under arrest?

What am I missing?

Welcome to the Forum!

Thanks! You're not missing anything. I can't make this up. He told me the reason I was being arrested was because my truck was unsafe to drive and put other people at risk. So he arrested me and impounded my truck. It costed more to get my truck out of the impound lot than it did to bail myself out.

That's something, wow.
Hope that you get it all worked out. Most LEO's are very reasonable and some of the nicest people I've met. There is always going to be a bad apple somewhere.

Return to “New to CHL?”