Texas - Duty to Inform

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Texas - Duty to Inform

Post by E.Marquez »

carlson1 wrote:Follow the Officer's instructions. Answer the questions you feel you can answer. When he/her asks for your DL and insurance card hand him/her your LTC. Then follow the instructions to the "T."
This ^^^^ has worked not just in theory but in actual use very well several times for me.. car, truck and bike.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Bitter Clinger »

twomillenium wrote:
Bitter Clinger wrote:
mjmccluskey wrote:Another Newbie Question...

Was reading an article with a bit about "Duty to Inform" and it got me thinking. Let's say routine traffic stop for speeding. The officer approaches, my windows are down and my hands are at rest on the steering wheel. The officer will likely ask something like, "Do you know why I pulled you over?".

My initial thought would be to answer something like, " No sir I do not, but I want to let you know.......".

So, what do you say? When do you say it?
In DFW, a speeding ticket is simply a business transaction designed to promote efficient "WEALTH TRANSFER". I have never been asked if I was carrying after handing over both TXDL and LTC. My only surprise is that they didn't run a roadside credit check and ask for my payment on the spot. :mad5
That might be a good way to describe it. But, by speeding you raised your hand when asked "Who wants to participate in the giving side of the WEALTH TRANSFER program". "rlol"
So here is how it went down: Dallas Bike cop steps out into traffic. lases me and flags me down for "speeding in a school zone."
I said: "really, where is the school?". He answered, "I dunno".

So, I did not raise my hand, I was called on! Subsequently I engaged a lawyer, he kept changing the court date until the officer didn't show, case dismissed. It is simply a great scam and everyone involved profits, except for the driver. With all due respect, there are more value-adding activities, in terms of increasing public safety, then what that officer was doing that morning. I was taking my wife to work as her car was in the shop, and I don't think that the stop, including checking my paperwork and issuing the invoice, took more than 60 seconds.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

jb2012
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jb2012 »

I got pulled over friday for no front license plate (got a new bumper and forgot the bracket for the LP) waited till he asked for ID showed him both and told him where my pistol was. He handed back my ltc ran my name and gave me a warning. I NEVER get warnings so I sure appreciated it.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

jb2012 wrote:I got pulled over friday for no front license plate (got a new bumper and forgot the bracket for the LP) waited till he asked for ID showed him both and told him where my pistol was. He handed back my ltc ran my name and gave me a warning. I NEVER get warnings so I sure appreciated it.
I thought Texas got rid of the front license plate requirement????

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
jb2012 wrote:I got pulled over friday for no front license plate (got a new bumper and forgot the bracket for the LP) waited till he asked for ID showed him both and told him where my pistol was. He handed back my ltc ran my name and gave me a warning. I NEVER get warnings so I sure appreciated it.
Hmm I hadn't heard that!

TangoX-ray

Post by TangoX-ray »

jb2012 wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Hmm I hadn't heard that!
IIRC, no front plate is still probable cause, but there is no longer a penalty in the penal code for not having one.
Native Texan :txflag: Philippians 2:3-4

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training." - Archiloches (650 BC)

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

TangoX-ray wrote:
jb2012 wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Hmm I hadn't heard that!
IIRC, no front plate is still probable cause, but there is no longer a penalty in the penal code for not having one.
When I received my plates in 2013, they only gave me one, so it would kind of suck if you need two.

casp625

Post by casp625 »

jb2012 wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Hmm I hadn't heard that!
They got rid of the inspection and registration as separate stickers and combines them. Now you are only required to display the registration sticker.

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 2

Post by JALLEN »

casp625 wrote:
jb2012 wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Hmm I hadn't heard that!
They got rid of the inspection and registration as separate stickers and combines them. Now you are only required to display the registration sticker.
I just got new plates last week, to replace the 7 yo plates. They gave me two, and a new sticker.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

This article is a year old but I believe it is still valid. http://www.dallasnews.com/investigation ... -fine..ece
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

Solaris
Banned

Post by Solaris »

jb2012 wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Hmm I hadn't heard that!
A couple of years ago they inadvertently removed the penalty for no front plate, so for 2 years or so you were GTG, but it has since been fixed.

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

Well regardless, he was real nice and just gave me a warning. I don't have anything to hide so it's not too big of a deal to get pulled over.

RETiffner

Post by RETiffner »

Solaris wrote:
jb2012 wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Hmm I hadn't heard that!
A couple of years ago they inadvertently removed the penalty for no front plate, so for 2 years or so you were GTG, but it has since been fixed.
Lol during this time period I was stopped for no front plate, got a warning on that .... But it was at that time I learned that a forgotten ticket from Indiana CAN come back and bite you to the tune of a suspended license...

Return to “New to CHL?”