Holsters

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Trivera
Posts in topic: 1

Holsters

Post by Trivera »

Whenever you leave your pistol in your vehicle when you can't carry do you leave your holster also or just remove your pistol and keep the holster on cause I use a owb belt carry holster and I don't feel like takin off my belt every time... Thanks

vjallen75
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Holsters

Post by vjallen75 »

Trivera wrote:Whenever you leave your pistol in your vehicle when you can't carry do you leave your holster also or just remove your pistol and keep the holster on cause I use a owb belt carry holster and I don't feel like takin off my belt every time... Thanks
All my OWB are paddle holsters so they can come off easily. IF I carry OWB I usually take off the holster too. I typically carry IWB and if I must disarm I keep my holster on.
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

casp625

Post by casp625 »

Trivera wrote:Whenever you leave your pistol in your vehicle when you can't carry do you leave your holster also or just remove your pistol and keep the holster on cause I use a owb belt carry holster and I don't feel like takin off my belt every time... Thanks
I leave my holster on and just cover it up. I use a an OWB holster 90+ percent of the time

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

vjallen75 wrote:
All my OWB are paddle holsters so they can come off easily. IF I carry OWB I usually take off the holster too.
:iagree:
NRA Endowment Member

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

I would leave it on and uncovered. Maybe hang some bright lights on it. Red, white and blue lights. Could stick a small pocket copy of the Constitution in it. Maybe next session they will pass a law banning holsters. :lol:

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

I leave my holster on. I even went to jury duty with my empty hoster. I got a funny look after i passed through the metal detector. She asked if I was a cop and I said "no, is there a problem"? She waved me through. For some reason I didnt get picked for that criminal case.... huh.... :confused5 :confused5
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

vjallen75

Post by vjallen75 »

TreyHouston wrote:I leave my holster on. I even went to jury duty with my empty hoster. I got a funny look after i passed through the metal detector. She asked if I was a cop and I said "no, is there a problem"? She waved me through. For some reason I didnt get picked for that criminal case.... huh.... :confused5 :confused5
I went to the Ford Center in Frisco (New cowboys practice facility) a few weekends ago for my son's football game (He's in marching band). I disarmed in the parking lot, firearm and pocket knife, and was wand (wound maybe?) down and they did not detect the metal on my IWB holster, I was surprised. I was ready for my, "it's not illegal to have a holster is it," speech.

:rules:
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

I always remove my gun and OWB holster from my belt in the interests of safety. I prefer to keep the trigger covered. Too many instances of ND from trying to re-holster.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

growlerVII

Post by growlerVII »

vjallen75 wrote:
TreyHouston wrote:I leave my holster on. I even went to jury duty with my empty hoster. I got a funny look after i passed through the metal detector. She asked if I was a cop and I said "no, is there a problem"? She waved me through. For some reason I didnt get picked for that criminal case.... huh.... :confused5 :confused5
I went to the Ford Center in Frisco (New cowboys practice facility) a few weekends ago for my son's football game (He's in marching band). I disarmed in the parking lot, firearm and pocket knife, and was wand (wound maybe?) down and they did not detect the metal on my IWB holster, I was surprised. I was ready for my, "it's not illegal to have a holster is it," speech.

:rules:
Those wands require batteries.......sometimes they need charging, or replacing. You probably could've walked in with a 351 Cleveland.

TXBO
Banned

Post by TXBO »

oohrah wrote:I always remove my gun and OWB holster from my belt in the interests of safety. I prefer to keep the trigger covered. Too many instances of ND from trying to re-holster.
That's always been my thought also.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

My EDC is an OWB thumb break paddle holster in which I carry my BTA90 openly. I prefer that my pistol stay in the holster except during shooting or cleaning.

I have no issues with loosening or removing my belt as required to don or doff my holstered pistol. Of all the adjustments I've made as part of carrying regularly, this is the least. If I do feel the need to adjust my belt, I try to be discreet. However, I have little concern over someone seeing me do so.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

allisji

Post by allisji »

I typically carry IWB, with holsters that clip around my belt. It's pretty easy to take the holsters on and off without unfastening and partially removing my belt. When I carry my Taurus 380 I can take the holster off and put the entire package into the locked box under my car seat. However when I carry my Sig P239, the Comptac MTAC holster that I use doesn't fit into the box. I am very careful to observe the four basic safety rules, but not overly concerned about negligent discharge when unholstering and reholstering my Sig because of the long and heavy 10 lb double action trigger pull.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Mrfriendly93

Post by Mrfriendly93 »

I always leave my holster and mag pouch on. Leaving kydex holsters in your car is a great way to not have a holster when you come back to your car in Houston.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Remove the whole thing in order to keep the gun safely in the holster.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Mrfriendly93 wrote:I always leave my holster and mag pouch on. Leaving kydex holsters in your car is a great way to not have a holster when you come back to your car in Houston.
But you're not worried about not having a gun when get back to your car? :evil2:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “New to CHL?”