Just Got Plastic, Looking For Advice on Clothing

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
MaduroBU
Posts in topic: 4

Just Got Plastic, Looking For Advice on Clothing

Post by MaduroBU »

I got my card a lot sooner than I expected (~3 weeks), so I haven't had time to roam around my house armed yet. I just got my P232 stainless in, and I will set the springs up for 90 grain Underwood +P loads today. I mention this to point out that the P232 with Underwood 90gr XTP +P loads is a compromise from a lot of different angles, and not really negotiable. I normally shoot a P226 X5 with hot 357 Sig 125 and 147 grain handloads, so I am familiar with my tolerance for recoil. I can't shoot concealable 9s well, and I can't shoot tiny .380s well (I actually shoot my girlfriend's Bodyguard on occasion....it works for her because she has miniscule hands). The point being, working on concealing this gun is my objective rather than buying an LCP or a Kahr that I can't shoot well (this preamble is mostly directed at the inevitable suggestions for pocket carry- I would love to do it, but I can't shoot those guns well).

I am not "robust" enough to pull off the Hawi'ian tent of concealment. I wear a lot of small, nearly form fitting T-shirts. I am not crazy about the idea of open carrying. I usually wear shorts and a T-shirt when I am off, and scrubs the rest of the time (sleeping or working). I rarely wear a suit and slacks/business casual. My initial and rather naive plan was to conceal under a coat, which neglected the fact that I live on a barrier island and hate wearing coats anyway. From reading around here and the rest of the internet, I have gathered that IWB may be a good bet, but people make a lot of the fact that 1.) you need a good belt and 2.) you need another 2 inches on your pants. It seems to be amenable to walking around, but carry at 5'o'clock seems to raise a lot of problems in a car.

I have Roto-Tac Paddle holster, which from limited testing works fine when I am standing, but prints badly (there is no question that it's a gun if I bend over) at 5, and I keep my keys in my front pocket, ruling out 1 or 3. I keep my combined phone/wallet case in my left pocket, which makes carrying on that side less desirable if I need to produce DL/LTC. I ordered a Galco Scout as well, so we'll see how that works.

With all that said, my actual questions:

1.) What practical suggestions do you have for modifying/replacing wardrobe items for IWB? Is waist+2" a good rule, should I measure, et c.
2.) Have any of you fancy lawyers/businesspeople gone out and had a carry/non-carry set of pants made for your suits? How do you keep an IWB from tearing up a Super 120? Do you just use a shoulder holster in that circumstance?
3.) What sort of belt goes well with shorts and can support a relatively heavy pistol?

I am sure that I will have a ton more questions, but I really appreciate all of the knowledge on this site.

NotRPB
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Just Got Plastic, Looking For Advice on Clothing

Post by NotRPB »

Option:
Pants with second front right pocket, 1 for holstered gun, other for "stuff" preferably, 12" deep pockets to pocket carry ?
(Available many places, I got some at Duluth Trading Co)

"Hook" on holster keeps holster in pocket when you draw as well as keeping gun upright in pocket

Pants
I don't see that what I got is still available, mine have two front right pockets, but I also have others with 12" deep pockets.

http://www.woodsmonkey.com/2-mountain-k ... nt-reviews ??? not sure what happened to this company that had identical pants as Duluth Trading after Duluth stopped selling what I liked

Don't have the mountain ones yet, look interesting though
http://www.mountainkhakis.com/
5 hand pockets including signature hidden side seam pocket.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens ... or=content
Men's DuluthFlex Fire Hose Foreman Pants

Topic author
MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

That's a really cool idea. I had assumed that pocket carry was out with a pistol this big, but the value of this forum is unlearning all of the things that I only think that I know.

Much appreciated!

Liberty
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Liberty »

In the I like the Duluth Trading long sleeve shirts worn as a jacket. They conceal well even when the shirt is unbuttoned. I also find that 4 o'clock is easier to conceal and drive, while less likely to interfere with pockets.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

atx2a

Post by atx2a »

Liberty wrote:In the I like the Duluth Trading long sleeve shirts worn as a jacket. They conceal well even when the shirt is unbuttoned. I also find that 4 o'clock is easier to conceal and drive, while less likely to interfere with pockets.
Agreed. Stick with your fitted t-shirts and add an oxford or duluth trading long sleeve, unbuttoned, as a jacket. Still relatively cool, but conceals. Dark with patterns better than not, of course. I live in Austin and it gets hot, but I do that during the summer sometimes.
Austin, TX
Speak softly and have a helluva double tap.

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

As far as belts, I highly recommend Alien Gear.

LabRat

Post by LabRat »

Based on your "looking for advice on clothing" request:

*Wear clothing....please. :lol:

Thanks
Labrat
This is not legal advice.
People should be able to perform many functions; for others and for themselves. Specialization is for insects. — Robert Heinlein (Severe paraphrase)

Topic author
MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

"Clothing makes the man. Naked people have little or no influence upon society."

- Samuel Clemens

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

MaduroBU wrote:With all that said, my actual questions:
1.) What practical suggestions do you have for modifying/replacing wardrobe items for IWB? Is waist+2" a good rule, should I measure, etc.

Rule #1: Get a good gun belt. A good belt with a poor holster is significantly better than a good holster with a bad belt. Of course, a good holster with a good belt is even better.
What is a good gun belt? Well, I find that these photos help illustrate that perfectly:

The belt should be lined with Kydex, and that will help eliminate sag as much as possible. For me, I wear IWB, and I use a Crossbreed Supertuck. I opted for the velcro clips on the holster, so I bought the belt with the velcro already installed. It works well for me. Once I've worn the holster for about 5 minutes, it locks in, and won't move all day long.

Mine is a Comp-Tac belt, but I know there are many other good ones as well.

About belt size...yes, about 2 inches more if you're going to wear IWB. It's worth it for me. I've tried some OWB holsters, and I just prefer the snugness of the gun tighter against my body. But bodies are different, as are preferences, so many others prefer IWB, and I think you have to do what is best for you.

2.) Have any of you fancy lawyers/businesspeople gone out and had a carry/non-carry set of pants made for your suits? How do you keep an IWB from tearing up a Super 120? Do you just use a shoulder holster in that circumstance?

I travel a lot to some interesting places, so I have a tailor in Bangkok that makes all my dress pants. He's the kind of guy who says, "You wear your watch on the left side, so I'll make that cuff 1/2 inch bigger." So, I brought my IWB holster on a trip one time, and he got a feel for what I needed. Every pair of pants he makes now is slightly larger, but only on that side (so the front and back gig lines stay centered. He also makes my shirt tails longer so it helps with the extra tuck I like to have around the gun.

He also puts in just a little extra fabric layer where the front sight of my gun rubs against the pant leg. That helps eliminate the inevitable hole that can be caused by wearing the gun there.

3.) What sort of belt goes well with shorts and can support a relatively heavy pistol?

I only buy shorts with belt loops, so I use the same gun belt with those as well.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Deitz83

Post by Deitz83 »

Most of my clothing are fitted or custom. I carry either a Glock 23 or Springfield XD subcompact 40. Summer dress golf shorts, t-shirt and a golf shirt (owb/ concealed). Suits are super 140 or 160 same carry. I have some shorts and pants that are a bit larger in the waist. When I wear those (iwb) , but not often. I got over printing when realized that 99% of the population, is not interested in someone that's printing. They are more interested in their Facebook page. I am not a large frame guy and I refused to wear baggy clothing. I am now finding tons of cheap clothing at Sams and Stein Mart. The belt is the most important foundation of the carry platform.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

For an affordable causal belt that works well with shorts, I recommend the MidwayUSA Instructor Belt
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

1shotsniper

Post by 1shotsniper »

I'm basically in your shoes...well kinda behind you I guess. I'm taking my course next weekend then have to wait on my plastic to come in the mail. I plan on doing a vlog that shows what I can and cannot wear based on a little trial and error. I'm 5'11" 165lbs so I'm not that big at all and I wear clothes that fit well usually from places like H&M, J. Crew, Aldo, A&F, etc. I don't wear baggy clothes at all but most of my shirts aren't clingy shirts just fairly fitted (I wear a small in shirts and 32 or 34 waist pants...33s are perfect).

With that little rant/info blast over, I'm doing the vlog because I felt like there were a lot of people on different forums and places on the internets in the same boat and the answers people gave weren't helpful as far as attire for me. The gun belt advice and other things were great and I really appreciated it (honestly) but I was still worried about what actual shirt and pants would cause problems.

Whenever I find something super useful I'll post back here. My vlog will cover my over all LTC journey from plastic in the mail and wally walk, to years later. I feel like this will be my way of giving back to all the people who have given such great advice.

nonleg

Post by nonleg »

1.) What practical suggestions do you have for modifying/replacing wardrobe items for IWB? Is waist+2" a good rule, should I measure, et c.
1. 2" is the "rule" I think just because that's how men's pants are measured around the waist. There's no 37" pant, so I go from a 36" to a 38." Not sure about what happens with your body type, but my wife hates that the extra material in the seat makes me look not quite as appealing to her :coolgleamA:

2. I have had zero problems here, although I admittedly pack IWB in that kind of slacks very infrequently, as everywhere I go dressed like that is posted. However, if you carry at about 4 o'clock with a canted holster, the end of the barrel is usually sitting over the inside of a pocket, which provides protection. Just moving around causes less friction than if you're spending long distances in a car carrying IWB. That said, it took six years for my weapon to wear through my most commonly worn shorts that are 100% cotton. Wow, I'm cheap. :lol:
Let's not overthink this. Whatever it is.

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

1shotsniper wrote: I'm 5'11" 165lbs so I'm not that big at all and I wear clothes that fit well usually from places like H&M, J. Crew, Aldo, A&F, etc. I don't wear baggy clothes at all but most of my shirts aren't clingy shirts just fairly fitted (I wear a small in shirts and 32 or 34 waist pants...33s are perfect).
Funny to me how customized this issue is relative to our different individual proportions. I am five inches taller, but only ten pounds heavier than 1shotsniper. I have the same waist size. So being tall and skinny, I live for baggy gaps where my shirt hangs off my shoulders or lower abdomen (appendix carry). These gaps I fill with light velcro shoulder holsters and belly bands, respectively. Both of these options work best with an undershirt.

I also practice pocket and ankle carry. Pretty much everything but IWB/OWB which I dislike for a multitude of reasons.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Smokey613

Post by Smokey613 »

I carry a Shield 45 off duty in a Safariland GLS paddle holster along with extra mag and cuffs on my left side. It's basically a plain clothes setup. The GLS rides high and close to my body. I love a good paddle holster, easy on easy off. My mag/cuff holder is a safariland paddle type also. At my age, I am not a "slave to fashion". I go for comfort and dress around my sidearm. I normally wear a crew neck t-shirt with a cover shirt unbuttoned. I use shirts with a pattern and darker color as they tend to conceal the pistol better. I use the same setup whether summer or winter, shorts or long pants. In the colder days I wear a light jacket. I rearely wear a suit or dress coat but there again, those provide cover. To me the importance of always being armed overrides all other considerations. Obviously some activities are no go carrying such as swimming, flying commercial, cruise ships, etc but when I engage in those activities I simply remain vigilant and have a plan. Yea, it may sound paranoid but after 64+ years i have learned that a problem arises knows no limits.
Texas LEO / TCOLE Firearms Instructor / LTC / Glock Armorer / NRA Endowment-Life Member

Return to “New to CHL?”