The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
jaclyn.jenkins
Posts in topic: 3

Carrying Issues with Women

Post by jaclyn.jenkins »

Hi Yall,

I am a new member of this awesome community. I am a medically retired Army veteran, so I'm no stranger to weapons. But, it was a daily carry of an M4, not a pistol. I have an ISSC M22 pistol (.22 caliber), but will be looking to upgrade to a classic Glock 19 at some point in the future.

The "issue" that I am trying to solve is dealing with dressing around the pistol. For females (and me, personally), I don't have as much room in my pants to wear IWB in any of the carries, other than possibly in the small of my back. I have a holster to carry on my hip, as that's where it is most comfortable for me. But, I am running into the issue of printing. I am slowly finding out that almost anything "light" produces an pretty bulky outline. haven't gone through the entire closet quite yet, but I was wondering if yall had any ideas to try? When I have time and possibly another person with me, I might go again and try to pick out a different holster and see if that makes a difference (I am partial to "plastic" holsters - bought an Uncle Mikes Reflex and I love it - I hate having a button to push or a strap to remove).

Thanks in advance!!!
United States Army, Retired - 2010-2014
CHL Since January 2017

Sweat Dries. Blood Clots. Bones Heal. Suck it up Buttercup.

The Wall
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Carrying Issues with Women

Post by The Wall »

Here's one I'm considering. Heard about it on this forum.

http://www.sneakypeteholsters.com/

Topic author
jaclyn.jenkins
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jaclyn.jenkins »

My LTC instructor had one of these and he said he loved it! I am going to look around the website and see what the dimensions would be so I could carry my current weapon.

If anyone else has used this holster, your input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
United States Army, Retired - 2010-2014
CHL Since January 2017

Sweat Dries. Blood Clots. Bones Heal. Suck it up Buttercup.

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

jaclyn.jenkins wrote:My LTC instructor had one of these and he said he loved it! I am going to look around the website and see what the dimensions would be so I could carry my current weapon.

If anyone else has used this holster, your input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
I am a man so FWIW... I own a Sneaky Pete but I've never worn it outside of the house. My EDC is a Springfield XDs, not exactly a giant. The Sneaky Pete is comically large.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

First, thank you for your service. Hooah! Welcome to the Forum.

Second, carry method, type, and position is a perennial conundrum. That help much? :mrgreen:

Seriously, please do move up from the .22 to the Glock 19. If you like and shoot the G19 well, there's no other handgun I'd recommend. But the .22 leaves you at risk; keep it as a backup.

If I were a brilliant computer programmer, I'd develop a simulation that could take a photo of a person's body--front, both sides, and back--digitize it for detailed topographical measurements (in segments, like an MRI), ask you if you were right- or left-handed, and then have you select from a pull-down of all commonly available handguns.

Voila! The most comfortable, practical, and concealable choice of carry position, holster type, and belt composition based on your unique parameters. (By the way, if somebody does develop such an app, you'll owe me royalties. Big time.)

I wish that app existed. Otherwise, there's no short and easy answer. Even that whole "detailed topographical measurements" thing is not static: body shape changes with age, weight loss or gain, even with pants worn because of belt positioning.

Although body types, configurations, and sizes come in all genders, everyday on-body carry is often more difficult for women than men.

Let me start by saying that I do not condone small-of-back carry for several reasons that I've written about here before. Other than ankle carry, IMHO it's the carry position that's most likely to get you killed in an emergency.

First and foremost, dress around the gun (as you well noted, Jaclyn; this next is not directed at you, but we get many posts pertaining to it). If a form-fit T-shirt and skinny jeans are more important to you every day than is safety and security, by all means wear the tight T-shirt and skin-fit jeans. Your choice. But guess what? If you're fit, you look just as fit in clothes that aren't skin-tight...in fact, I'll posit you look more fit because you demonstrate it ain't the '80s, and that you're confident enough to not wrap yourself in Spandex. Ugh.

Back on Topic. Generalizing many variables, the main issue with women's on-body carry is...hips. If they wear a holster at three o'clock at the hip, it protrudes noticeably. If they move the belt up to the natural waist, the hip now forces the muzzle of the gun outward exaggeratedly.

Again, recognizing that all body types differ, I see three on-body carry options.

The first is probably the least practical: shoulder holster. Nice in the wintertime, when I use mine, but in Texas in the 100-degree summers...maybe okay for open carry, but concealing it with a shirt or jacket may not be worth the sweat.

Second, move both your belt height and your holster around to search for that elusive spot (for right-handers) between 3:30 and 5:00 where the gun and holster are most comfortable and most concealed. My bet is that if you do this, you'll select something on the latter end, around five o'clock, which I don't love but can accept.

Third: appendix carry. Much here depends upon the fitness level of the carrier, but this may afford comfort, concealment, and tactical advantage (best of the lot). Typically this is carry at one- or two o'clock with an appropriate negative cant on the holster. Equally effective IWB or OWB.

What I've been taught is that the shortest range of motion is always the most efficient. And the fastest. Don't track the gun during the draw; track the entire path of the wrist, elbow, and shoulder of the hand that draws the gun and you'll see what I mean. The more joint articulations and movements are required to complete the action, and the farther those movements are from the center-line of the body, the less efficient it is.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

Being male I cannot help but I will tell you that I changed the way I dress when I started carrying in the late 90's. I choose to dress around my firearm, I would rather have my G29 and two 15 round mags with me than worry about how I look. It is easier for men to do this though and I have not gotten my wife to accept my philosophy yet. I will be following this to see what you come up with so I can pass it on to my wife.

1911 10MM

Post by 1911 10MM »

jaclyn.jenkins wrote:Hi Yall,

I am a new member of this awesome community. I am a medically retired Army veteran, so I'm no stranger to weapons. But, it was a daily carry of an M4, not a pistol. I have an ISSC M22 pistol (.22 caliber), but will be looking to upgrade to a classic Glock 19 at some point in the future.

The "issue" that I am trying to solve is dealing with dressing around the pistol. For females (and me, personally), I don't have as much room in my pants to wear IWB in any of the carries, other than possibly in the small of my back. I have a holster to carry on my hip, as that's where it is most comfortable for me. But, I am running into the issue of printing. I am slowly finding out that almost anything "light" produces an pretty bulky outline. haven't gone through the entire closet quite yet, but I was wondering if yall had any ideas to try? When I have time and possibly another person with me, I might go again and try to pick out a different holster and see if that makes a difference (I am partial to "plastic" holsters - bought an Uncle Mikes Reflex and I love it - I hate having a button to push or a strap to remove).

Thanks in advance!!!
Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service. You might check out the below website for options.

http://thewellarmedwoman.com

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jusme »

Jaclyn,

Welcome to the forum, and thank you for your service. :tiphat: :patriot:

As stated by others, we probably can't give you the one right answer for your carry choice. I do believe that men have an easier time choosing a carry method, because our wardrobe varies only slightly, and usually depends only on the weather. Women may go from pants/shorts, to skirts/dresses, in the same day and maybe multiple times. (this is not a criticism, just an observation of my wife after 20+ years of marriage)

We have a ladies segment in our forum, which has several topics relating to women's carry issues, holsters, clothing choices, etc.. along with other issues unique to our female members. Take some time to read through some of the posts, and you will probably get plenty of ideas, and options that may work for you. http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewforum.php?f=58 I also know that our female members are very willing to answer questions.

Which ever method(s) you choose, the main thing is to practice, practice,practice. The last thing you want to happen in an emergency situation, is to be fumbling around trying to remember which carry method you chose that day. Good luck, and please stick around after you begin carrying, to document your experiences, and observations. There are a lot of women who face these same issues as you, and your experiences may help someone else. It's always great to welcome more women to the forum. :thumbs2:
Last edited by Jusme on Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

Similar to Sneaky Pete, but maybe more versatile Wilderness Safepacker I've worn it in Walmart, no one looked twice. I cut the square plastic "Wilderness Safepapker" thingy off the front with a single edged razor blade
Also, I have a Glock 19 but it stays home and I carry the Glock 26 which has shorter slide, but can accept Glock 19 or Glock 17 magazines too, I use an Xgrip magazine spacer https://www.google.com/search?q=x+grip+ ... 8&oe=utf-8 and Piercegrip PG39 magazine base which adds 3 extra rounds to any Glock 9mm double stack magazine (Glock 26/19/17 etc)http://www.pearcegrip.com/Products/GLOCK/PG-39

http://www.thewilderness.com/safepacker ... t-holster/

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

Besides finding a perfect carry method you could optionally consider a slimmer firearm.
Options are out there and it may be worth looking at a Glock 43, Walther PPS, SIG Sauer P938 and many other single stack firearms. A single stack magazine capacity is lower but the reduced bulk may do the trick and each ounce of reduced weight helps for carry comfort.
Just a thought, maybe it helps.

:tiphat:
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Thank you for your service!!!

I am male so I cannot help you with carry positions as I have never been a female but I carry my glock 19 in three areas. Owb 3:00 winter under my jacket or I'll open carry it there, 4:30 IWB going concealed and if I really want to take away any printing and go uber concealed i carry appendix. (Gasp did he say glock 19 appendix oh lord!) All is done with completely kydex or kydex shell with leather backed on the holsters. I don't do the nylon thing or the leather thing. Here's why, nylon can be very comfortable but it's just too soft that a negligent discharge is substantially more possible, I don't carry all leather not because I'm as worried if an ND but I have seen over time as leather wears it can fold in a little and if you hasten a re-holster BOOM. That's why I use kydex because it will never collapse in and you get the same positive retention every time. You have that nice "click" when your gun goes in. The carry methods I have discussed work for me.. they may not work for you. Strong side 3:00 is usually a no no for females because their hips are wider and pants tend to be snug there. That's why my wife can't carry a gun there. 4:30 could work but you may have to get rid of those fitting t shirts so you don't print even tho it's not illegal to print. Appendix really is a great option and most women I know carry there but if you do you must realize where the gun is pointed and you must be careful..... I hope you find the best method and please stay safe out there welcome to the forum! And again thank you for your service!

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service.

My wife found a holster at a gun show about 6 months ago that she loves. It is an IWB holster made from a material that will "grab" onto the clothing. It is a soft hoslter without a clip or anything else to hold it in place but she has become very proficient drawing from it. It is very similar to this one
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Like the others, I would also like to thank you for your service and welcome you to our community here. There is a "women's issues" subforum on these pages, and you might try searching there for some of what you're looking for. My wife owns, but rarely carries a G19, for most of the same reasons you've outlined here, and so she EDC's a Glock 43. She is not willing to open carry, which would solve most of those issues you raise. So I bought her a couple of Belly Band Holsters from TheWellArmedWoman.com, and she uses those regularly. She finds them to be comfortable, and they allow her to conceal that Glock 43 and a backup magazine underneath fitted blouses, so she maintains a feminine style of dress. She has two, so that she can wash one while wearing the other. They seem to work very well for her.

The Glock 19 is a wonderful pistol, and I completely understand why you would want one. I carry one daily myself. I also own a Glock 43 of my own too for days when deeper concealment is desireable for whatever reason, but one thing I would do a little differently, and you might want to consider, is to also buy a Glock 26 in addition to the G19. The 26 is virtually the same size as the G43, only being a .16" wider by virtue of using a double column magazine instead of a single stack mag. And being a double stack 9mm, it will accept all other double stack 9mm Glock magazines - i.e. G19, G17, and the 33 round stick magazines. That way, you could carry the G26 as your EDC, and a G19 backup magazine, which would give you an additional 5 rounds more than a G26 mag and 9 rounds more than a G43 mag, and all without significantly more gun from a concealment perspective than a G43.

I do really like my G43, and I would probably buy one anyway someday, because there IS a legitimate place for slim single stack 9mm pistols in the concealed carry market. I don't regret owning it one bit. But I do regret not having purchased a G26 first; so my next pistol purchase will be a G26, to compliment the G19 and G17 I already own. We can learn from the "mistakes" of others, and while I don't consider ownin a G43 to be a mistake, I do consider that I made a mistake in buying a G43 before buying a G26.

I suspect that, with a Belly Band like the one linked above, you could pack a G26 all day long quite comfortably, and still be able to wear more fitted garments with a more feminine appeal.

Here's a link to the "Ladies" forum: http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewforum.php?f=58
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

Hi Jaclyn,

I'm Tracy, one of the few active women on the board. Welcome! I carry an LCP or a Curve daily. I carry my LCP in a Kusiak Leather holster, it's designed very well, it carries a little lower, and , I think, works well for the female build. I wear it with jeans for the most part. I'm right handed, but I carry at about 10 o'clock. I wear my curve with dresses in a thigh holster I made, with skirts and leggings in a belly band I made, I love the gun, it disappears it's so light.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

jaclyn.jenkins wrote:Hi Yall,

Thanks in advance!!!
Jaclyn,

Welcome and thank you for your service. Its awesome to have new members especially of the female persuasion!

Like most of the replys I am a guy but you will find we have plenty of opinions anyway...

When you can take a look at the Sig P938 or The Taurus Curve. While not a big fan of Taurus firearms the curve does have a profile that seems to disappear. Also be careful with small of the back carry. If you happen to fall just right having a pistol at the base of the spine can be VERY ouch!

Maybe this video will help and give you some ideas:
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

Return to “New to CHL?”