NEWBIE Question about CCW

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire


Topic author
flipman416
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 11
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:28 am

NEWBIE Question about CCW

#1

Post by flipman416 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:29 pm

Hello everyone,

I have moved from the communist state of California to The Great State of Texas. I am posting this because I haven't really read anything concrete, nor have I read anything recently about out of state non-resident UTAH CCW. With that said...my understanding is I can definitely carry in Texas because I obtained my Utah CCW as a non-Texas resident. But since I have now moved, I believe I can still carry in Texas with my Utah CCW, but when it comes time to renew...Utah won't renew it unless I have my Texas CHL. Am I assuming correctly? The last thing I want to happen is me being arrested for conceal carry in Texas. Thanks, everyone!!! by the way...LOVING TEXAS!! Also please don't assume I'm one of those crazy Californians, bringing my idiotic Californian mentality to Texas!!! LOL!!! I'm more of a CA refugee fleeing that mess of a place!! Consider me an ally to the amazing Texan way of life!!


OneGun
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 595
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:22 am
Location: Houston

Re: NEWBIE Question about CCW

#2

Post by OneGun » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:19 pm

flipman416 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:29 pm
Hello everyone,

I have moved from the communist state of California to The Great State of Texas. I am posting this because I haven't really read anything concrete, nor have I read anything recently about out of state non-resident UTAH CCW. With that said...my understanding is I can definitely carry in Texas because I obtained my Utah CCW as a non-Texas resident. But since I have now moved, I believe I can still carry in Texas with my Utah CCW, but when it comes time to renew...Utah won't renew it unless I have my Texas CHL. Am I assuming correctly? The last thing I want to happen is me being arrested for conceal carry in Texas. Thanks, everyone!!! by the way...LOVING TEXAS!! Also please don't assume I'm one of those crazy Californians, bringing my idiotic Californian mentality to Texas!!! LOL!!! I'm more of a CA refugee fleeing that mess of a place!! Consider me an ally to the amazing Texan way of life!!
The best thing you could do is get a Texas DL and take the Texas LTC course. Texas reduced the license fees a lot and the course is now less than half day with the shooting qualification test.

Oh, and BTW, Welcome to Texas and thanks for not bringing California mentality to Texas!!!! :txflag:
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

User avatar

oljames3
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 2155
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:21 pm
Location: Elgin, Texas
Contact:

Re: NEWBIE Question about CCW

#3

Post by oljames3 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:22 pm

flipman416 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:29 pm
Hello everyone,

I have moved from the communist state of California to The Great State of Texas. I am posting this because I haven't really read anything concrete, nor have I read anything recently about out of state non-resident UTAH CCW. With that said...my understanding is I can definitely carry in Texas because I obtained my Utah CCW as a non-Texas resident. But since I have now moved, I believe I can still carry in Texas with my Utah CCW, but when it comes time to renew...Utah won't renew it unless I have my Texas CHL. Am I assuming correctly? The last thing I want to happen is me being arrested for conceal carry in Texas. Thanks, everyone!!! by the way...LOVING TEXAS!! Also please don't assume I'm one of those crazy Californians, bringing my idiotic Californian mentality to Texas!!! LOL!!! I'm more of a CA refugee fleeing that mess of a place!! Consider me an ally to the amazing Texan way of life!!
Welcome to Texas, flipman416. I agree that you will probably find it beneficial to get your Texas LTC. If you would list your general location, I'm sure folks here could recommend a trainer or two.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA Distinguished Life Member (Disabled Vet), TSRA, NAR L1

User avatar

PriestTheRunner
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 403
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:33 pm

Re: NEWBIE Question about CCW

#4

Post by PriestTheRunner » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:22 pm

flipman416 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:29 pm
Hello everyone,

I have moved from the communist state of California to The Great State of Texas. I am posting this because I haven't really read anything concrete, nor have I read anything recently about out of state non-resident UTAH CCW. With that said...my understanding is I can definitely carry in Texas because I obtained my Utah CCW as a non-Texas resident. But since I have now moved, I believe I can still carry in Texas with my Utah CCW, but when it comes time to renew...Utah won't renew it unless I have my Texas CHL. Am I assuming correctly? The last thing I want to happen is me being arrested for conceal carry in Texas. Thanks, everyone!!! by the way...LOVING TEXAS!! Also please don't assume I'm one of those crazy Californians, bringing my idiotic Californian mentality to Texas!!! LOL!!! I'm more of a CA refugee fleeing that mess of a place!! Consider me an ally to the amazing Texan way of life!!
:txflag:

Welcome! So you are on the right track. The general consensus seems to be that (1) your out of state permit remains valid even though you moved and (2) you should get your Texas LTC before hitting the renew date on the Utah license.

The Utah agreement is here,
and all the agreements can be found here.
WHEREAS, the State of Texas is authorized to recognize the validity of a nonresident
concealed handgun license if the Texas Attorney General determines that a
background check of each applicant for a license issued by the other state is conducted
by state or local authorities, or agent thereof, before the license is issued to determine
the applicants' eligibility to possess a firearm under the Federal Gun Control Act (18
U.S.C. § 922); and ...
In other words, as long as your 'out of state' license with Utah is valid (which it seems to remain valid), you are licensed to carry within the bounds of Texas according to Texas law.

It is a good idea to renew to a Texas license (though not required, it seems) because (1) you'll bump our numbers and (2) Texas In-State LTC has more reciprocity than Utah Non-Resident CHL.

To clarify, however, if you had a Resident Utah CHL, after your official residency changed it may or may not be valid depending on Utah's department of public safety (or equivalent's) interpretation. Hence the reason for resident licensees to rush a bit more to get the new license.

Either way, there are benefits of a Texas LTC here including (1) visiting the state capitol armed / skipping the line, (2) Police here will see your Texas LTC and know how to handle it, whereas they might not know the exact rules for a non-resident license holder, and (3) our LTC fee rates are now normal and likely cheaper than Utah's.

Welcome to a freedom loving state. Please don't vote us into another commiefornia. ;-)

User avatar

Jusme
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 4582
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:23 pm
Location: Johnson County, Texas

Re: NEWBIE Question about CCW

#5

Post by Jusme » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:26 pm

flipman416 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:29 pm
Hello everyone,

I have moved from the communist state of California to The Great State of Texas. I am posting this because I haven't really read anything concrete, nor have I read anything recently about out of state non-resident UTAH CCW. With that said...my understanding is I can definitely carry in Texas because I obtained my Utah CCW as a non-Texas resident. But since I have now moved, I believe I can still carry in Texas with my Utah CCW, but when it comes time to renew...Utah won't renew it unless I have my Texas CHL. Am I assuming correctly? The last thing I want to happen is me being arrested for conceal carry in Texas. Thanks, everyone!!! by the way...LOVING TEXAS!! Also please don't assume I'm one of those crazy Californians, bringing my idiotic Californian mentality to Texas!!! LOL!!! I'm more of a CA refugee fleeing that mess of a place!! Consider me an ally to the amazing Texan way of life!!
Welcome to the forum!! :tiphat:

You can carry under your Utah. CCW, but you will need to update your address. Utah, doesn't require you to also have a license, in your state of residence, as far as I know.

But getting a Texas, LTC, is very simple, and much cheaper, now than it was a year or so back. ($40) With it you can not only conceal carry, but open carry as well. Buy guns with no background check, You can also use the express lane at the State Capitol, with your Texas LTC, to bypass, security.

Glad you made it out of Commifornia, safely, welcome to the land of the free. You can carry magazines, with as many rounds as you want, purchase, guns, with no waiting period, no ammo restrictions, etc.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 24081
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: NEWBIE Question about CCW

#6

Post by The Annoyed Man » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:34 pm

If you intend to keep carrying on your UT CFP, you’ll need to update the address to your Texas address.

Welcome to Texas. I moved here from Pasadena, CA in 2006. I was back there just a couple of weeks ago to visit family. Cali has become a banana republic.
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy


rotor
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 3057
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: NEWBIE Question about CCW

#7

Post by rotor » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:51 pm

The only thing that I may add is that a Utah CHL does not protect you from the Federal Gun Free Zone act (firearms within 1000 feet of a school) in Texas. For that you need a Texas LTC. Does anyone ever get caught in that trap, I don't know? I am sure that most people with a gun in the glove box drive by a school every day and nobody cares. As a technicality though only the Texas LTC covers Texas schools. Welcome to Texas. I spent many years in Commiefornia too. I can't believe it has turned into such a cesspool. I remember when I could open carry in California.

User avatar

Maxwell
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 762
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:05 pm

Re: NEWBIE Question about CCW

#8

Post by Maxwell » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:00 pm

flipman416 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:29 pm
..my understanding is I can definitely carry in Texas because I obtained my Utah CCW as a non-Texas resident. But since I have now moved, I believe I can still carry in Texas with my Utah CCW, but when it comes time to renew...Utah won't renew it unless I have my Texas CHL. Am I assuming correctly?
I'm curious, did you have to have a California CCW to get your non-resident Utah CCW? :confused5
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain


Topic author
flipman416
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 11
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:28 am

Re: NEWBIE Question about CCW

#9

Post by flipman416 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:02 pm

Maxwell wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:00 pm
flipman416 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:29 pm
..my understanding is I can definitely carry in Texas because I obtained my Utah CCW as a non-Texas resident. But since I have now moved, I believe I can still carry in Texas with my Utah CCW, but when it comes time to renew...Utah won't renew it unless I have my Texas CHL. Am I assuming correctly?
I'm curious, did you have to have a California CCW to get your non-resident Utah CCW? :confused5

I did not need my CA CCW to obtain a non resident Utah CCW. The main reason is Utah CCW was not honored in CA, it was primarily used so Californians can carry when traveling to nearby states.


Topic author
flipman416
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 11
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:28 am

Re: NEWBIE Question about CCW

#10

Post by flipman416 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:03 pm

Thanks for the answers fellas, also thanks for the warm welcome. I'm definitely here and on your side, should the crazy leftists liberals try to take our rights. I do know for a fact they are definitely here!!! But my guard won't be down!!!


Topic author
flipman416
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 11
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:28 am

Re: NEWBIE Question about CCW

#11

Post by flipman416 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:06 pm

rotor wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:51 pm
The only thing that I may add is that a Utah CHL does not protect you from the Federal Gun Free Zone act (firearms within 1000 feet of a school) in Texas. For that you need a Texas LTC. Does anyone ever get caught in that trap, I don't know? I am sure that most people with a gun in the glove box drive by a school every day and nobody cares. As a technicality though only the Texas LTC covers Texas schools. Welcome to Texas. I spent many years in Commiefornia too. I can't believe it has turned into such a cesspool. I remember when I could open carry in California.


I was told that only matters when you're on foot. As if it's inside you're vehicle you're protected...as one doesn't need a permit to.carry a loaded firearm in your vehicle in Texas. Am I wrong to think this?


NNT
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:22 pm

Re: NEWBIE Question about CCW

#12

Post by NNT » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:14 pm

flipman416 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:02 pm
Maxwell wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:00 pm
flipman416 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:29 pm
..my understanding is I can definitely carry in Texas because I obtained my Utah CCW as a non-Texas resident. But since I have now moved, I believe I can still carry in Texas with my Utah CCW, but when it comes time to renew...Utah won't renew it unless I have my Texas CHL. Am I assuming correctly?
I'm curious, did you have to have a California CCW to get your non-resident Utah CCW? :confused5

I did not need my CA CCW to obtain a non resident Utah CCW. The main reason is Utah CCW was not honored in CA, it was primarily used so Californians can carry when traveling to nearby states.
The way I remember it when I was looking at Utah non-resident... if your home state was shall issue, you had to have that first. If your home state is communist, Utah will issue.


rotor
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 3057
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: NEWBIE Question about CCW

#13

Post by rotor » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:43 pm

flipman416 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:06 pm
rotor wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:51 pm
The only thing that I may add is that a Utah CHL does not protect you from the Federal Gun Free Zone act (firearms within 1000 feet of a school) in Texas. For that you need a Texas LTC. Does anyone ever get caught in that trap, I don't know? I am sure that most people with a gun in the glove box drive by a school every day and nobody cares. As a technicality though only the Texas LTC covers Texas schools. Welcome to Texas. I spent many years in Commiefornia too. I can't believe it has turned into such a cesspool. I remember when I could open carry in California.


I was told that only matters when you're on foot. As if it's inside you're vehicle you're protected...as one doesn't need a permit to.carry a loaded firearm in your vehicle in Texas. Am I wrong to think this?
I believe you are wrong. Exceptions below. Unloaded and locked up. I doubt if most are.
[18 U.S.C. § 922(q)(2)(A)] does not apply to the possession of a firearm—

(i) on private property not part of school grounds;

(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

(iii) that is—

(I) not loaded; and

(II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;


(iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone;

(v) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual;

(vi) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity; or

(vii) that is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school premises is authorized by school authorities.

User avatar

03Lightningrocks
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 7195
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: DFW area

Re: NEWBIE Question about CCW

#14

Post by 03Lightningrocks » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:07 am

flipman416 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:03 pm
Thanks for the answers fellas, also thanks for the warm welcome. I'm definitely here and on your side, should the crazy leftists liberals try to take our rights. I do know for a fact they are definitely here!!! But my guard won't be down!!!
The Peoples Republic of Austin is a stronghold for Kali lefties. I have no idea why they come from Kali and try to make Texas a socialist society like the one they left.

Welcome to Texas but try and understand why you will live under the cloud of being from Kali for several years until you prove yourself. I am still not sure about The Annoyed Man but I try to give him the benefit of the doubt. :biggrinjester:
In my home, one is allowed to spit on the floor in any situation where they are forced to say the word, Obama.
NRA-Endowment Member
http://www.planoair.com
http://www.planoairconditioningandheating.com


Topic author
flipman416
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 11
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:28 am

Re: NEWBIE Question about CCW

#15

Post by flipman416 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:43 am

NNT wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:14 pm
flipman416 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:02 pm
Maxwell wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:00 pm
flipman416 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:29 pm
..my understanding is I can definitely carry in Texas because I obtained my Utah CCW as a non-Texas resident. But since I have now moved, I believe I can still carry in Texas with my Utah CCW, but when it comes time to renew...Utah won't renew it unless I have my Texas CHL. Am I assuming correctly?
I'm curious, did you have to have a California CCW to get your non-resident Utah CCW? :confused5

I did not need my CA CCW to obtain a non resident Utah CCW. The main reason is Utah CCW was not honored in CA, it was primarily used so Californians can carry when traveling to nearby states.
The way I remember it when I was looking at Utah non-resident... if your home state was shall issue, you had to have that first. If your home state is communist, Utah will issue.

hahahahha!! Thats it!!! CA is a "May issue" State.

Post Reply

Return to “New to CHL?”