A strange question for you moms..

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

BlueLady
Posts in topic: 1

Re: A strange question for you moms..

Post by BlueLady »

If you sew or have a friend/family member who does, it's easy to make a mock vest to add to t-shirts or other pull overs for tops that conceal you and your guns. You basically make the front half of a short vest and sew it onto your shirt at the shoulders and side seams. You cut diagonal slits in the front of the shirt centered over each breast. I usually fastened the vest onto a new shirt, then put the shirt on wrong-side-out so I could be sure I got the openings where they would be easy to use and well concealed by the vest. I marked where the openings should go, then removed the garment and took the vest off of it before cutting the openings and finishing the edges with zigzag or bias tape. If your child is a really wild squirmer who lifts your clothing, you might add velcro to make sure the opening stay closed when not in use, but it's not usually necessary. Openings should start with the top toward your shoulder and slant down toward your belly button. I'm small on top, so 6" was plenty long enough for me. I made several vests and put two small buttons holes on each shoulder and side. I put small plain buttons on the shoulders and sides of my shirts (with reinforcement inside the shirt to prevents rips from a child who tugs at your clothing. I liked to keep buttons for attachment plain to keep from attracting attention to the removable aspect of the garment. Buttons down the front of the vest were usually not functional, but much prettier. This way I could wear each vest with several shirts to make my nursing wardrobe look bigger. I also learned to make each vest reversible to stretch my wardrobe further for only a little more money. I had shirts in two or three different sizes so I could keep using my vests as I lost the rest of my maternity weight. With these vest/shirt combinations, I simply reached under the vest and through the opening to undo the nursing bra flap. Then I lifted the bottom of that side of the vest to nurse. The vest settled neatly over the baby's mouth so my breast wasn't exposed from the top. The t-shirt or nice pullover :woohoo stayed down (tucked even)to keep my belly covered. This would keep your gun well covered too. Having the mock vest spares you the extra layer on your back which really helps when it's hot and you have a sweaty child cuddled on your front. I'll warn you though; avoid cow print fabric for nursing garments. It gives the hubbies way too much joke material. :roll:

wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

BlueLady wrote:If you sew or have a friend/family member who does, it's easy to make a mock vest to add to t-shirts or other pull overs for tops that conceal you and your guns. You basically make the front half of a short vest and sew it onto your shirt at the shoulders and side seams. You cut diagonal slits in the front of the shirt centered over each breast. I usually fastened the vest onto a new shirt, then put the shirt on wrong-side-out so I could be sure I got the openings where they would be easy to use and well concealed by the vest. I marked where the openings should go, then removed the garment and took the vest off of it before cutting the openings and finishing the edges with zigzag or bias tape. If your child is a really wild squirmer who lifts your clothing, you might add velcro to make sure the opening stay closed when not in use, but it's not usually necessary. Openings should start with the top toward your shoulder and slant down toward your belly button. I'm small on top, so 6" was plenty long enough for me. I made several vests and put two small buttons holes on each shoulder and side. I put small plain buttons on the shoulders and sides of my shirts (with reinforcement inside the shirt to prevents rips from a child who tugs at your clothing. I liked to keep buttons for attachment plain to keep from attracting attention to the removable aspect of the garment. Buttons down the front of the vest were usually not functional, but much prettier. This way I could wear each vest with several shirts to make my nursing wardrobe look bigger. I also learned to make each vest reversible to stretch my wardrobe further for only a little more money. I had shirts in two or three different sizes so I could keep using my vests as I lost the rest of my maternity weight. With these vest/shirt combinations, I simply reached under the vest and through the opening to undo the nursing bra flap. Then I lifted the bottom of that side of the vest to nurse. The vest settled neatly over the baby's mouth so my breast wasn't exposed from the top. The t-shirt or nice pullover :woohoo stayed down (tucked even)to keep my belly covered. This would keep your gun well covered too. Having the mock vest spares you the extra layer on your back which really helps when it's hot and you have a sweaty child cuddled on your front. I'll warn you though; avoid cow print fabric for nursing garments. It gives the hubbies way too much joke material. :roll:
As a mother of 10 children, I can tell you she speaks with authority... and I thought my cow jokes were rather funny :coolgleamA:
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mamabearCali

Post by mamabearCali »

All great suggestions. Additionally if these don't work there is a pregnancy band (usually flesh toned) that they sell at target. The design is that you can unbutton your non-pregnant pants cover the top of them with this cover and that it will help hold your pants up and allow you a few more weeks in your non preggers clothing. Now it could additionally work for a cover over top of a item/post baby belly that you don't want to show off while nursing.

http://www.target.com/p/Be-Maternity-Be ... A-11084904" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SAHM to four precious children. Wife to a loving husband.

"The women of this country learned long ago those without swords can still die upon them!" Eowyn in LOTR Two Towers

Topic author
Venus Pax
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Venus Pax »

glock27 wrote:my wife jump uses a pump for occasions like this and bottle feeds
Some women do this. However, many women do not respond well to the pump. Also, if the mother is out for quite awhile, she may experience some engorgement. Carrying bottles also defeats one of the many benefits of breastfeeding--convenience. It's nice not to have to carry bottles and worry about time and temperature. Milk served directly from the source is always at the right temperature. And no bottles to sterilize later.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

Return to “Ladies”