Where do you Ladies carry?

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
jswarren
Posts in topic: 2

Where do you Ladies carry?

Post by jswarren »

My wife will be taking her CHL class along with some of her friends in April. We were discussing where would she carry. I don't like thr purse for obvious reasons. We were wondering where most of you ladies carry and what do you carry. Do ya'll use IWB holsters? As always, all imput is welcome.

Thanks,
JW
9/15/09 Class taken (Tom Estep)
1/29/10 Application mailed to Austin
2/19/10 Pin issued
3/01/10 Application complete-License issued or certificate active
3/04/10 Plastic in hand

Glock 27 in a Supertuck
Dan Wesson CBOB 1911 in a Supertuck
Ruger 357
Rem 870
Colt LE6920

TLynnHughes
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Where do you Ladies carry?

Post by TLynnHughes »

Tough question to answer simply, I'm afraid. I carry where I can...depends on the gun, depends on the clothes, depends on the occasion. I understand some of the reluctance for purse carry, but sometimes, at least for me, it's absolutely necessary.

T.
Women's Program Match Director
PSC Shooting Club, Inc.

"I would like to see every woman know how to handle firearms as naturally as they know how to handle babies." -- Annie Oakley

CompVest
Posts in topic: 7

Post by CompVest »

Purse carry is an excellent option. It's ONLY drawback is that it isn't attached to the body through belt loops. However, it can be carried cross shoulder in front of the body with fairly adequate security.

On the plus side, the presentation of the gun is very quick form a holster. (Quicker than a lot of CHL holders can draw from their strong side holsters. The gun can be fired from within the holster for even quicker use. Women will be far more likely to carry their gun with them. Purses offer a wide range of sizes to choose from allowing a wide range of gun options. It allows a covert way to keep the hand on the gun when needed without anyone being the wiser. Try resting your hand on your gun in a strong side holster when walking in a parking lot covertly! It isn't very easy to do but it is with a purse carry.

Again purse carry is a reasonable carry option for women and for many it is their best option. Purse carry like every other carry option does need some training and some practice to be proficient.
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

Compvest - you may have talked some of the MEN into carrying a purse!

BTW, to answer the question - how and what I carry depends on the situation. Unlike you guys, who dress pretty much the same way every day, us ladies have to be more flexible. Depending on the situation, I carry a S&W 642 in my purse, a Glock 26 in my laptop bag (which also has a holster pocket) a Bersa Thunder in a strongside CTAC holster, a Glock 19 SOB, or the Glock 26 in a bellyband.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Topic author
jswarren

Post by jswarren »

Please don't take offense by me saying that I don't like the purse carry. We personally don't know of any ladies that carry to get info. I have been told that the purse should be the last option because it it the target of the BG's and in my wife's case she puts EVERYTHING in her purse. So I would be afraid of her sifting through looking for something in puplic and the gun will show or in a life or death moment not finding it in time. Now I know they have special carry purses with dedicated holster pouches, but style is not to her liking. Don't take me wrong, purse is still an option. I just want to know some better options.

Thanks
JW
Last edited by jswarren on Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
9/15/09 Class taken (Tom Estep)
1/29/10 Application mailed to Austin
2/19/10 Pin issued
3/01/10 Application complete-License issued or certificate active
3/04/10 Plastic in hand

Glock 27 in a Supertuck
Dan Wesson CBOB 1911 in a Supertuck
Ruger 357
Rem 870
Colt LE6920

LarryH
Posts in topic: 1

Post by LarryH »

I'm not a lady, nor do I play one on TV. However, I am married to one.

I suggest http://www.corneredcat.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for a woman's perspective on carrying. Both you and your bride can learn a lot from reading it.

Also, if you're anywhere close to Houston, the PSC (Pearland Shooting Club) range (http://www.psc-range.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) has a ladies-only class on the first Saturday of every month.

TLynnHughes

Post by TLynnHughes »

LarryH wrote:I'm not a lady, nor do I play one on TV. However, I am married to one.

I suggest http://www.corneredcat.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for a woman's perspective on carrying. Both you and your bride can learn a lot from reading it.

Also, if you're anywhere close to Houston, the PSC (Pearland Shooting Club) range (http://www.psc-range.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) has a ladies-only class on the first Saturday of every month.
:iagree: And provided there's not some sort of frog strangling rain, I'm going to be out there this Saturday. My trigger finger is itchy!!

T.
PSC Shooting Club, Inc.

"I would like to see every woman know how to handle firearms as naturally as they know how to handle babies." -- Annie Oakley

TLynnHughes

Post by TLynnHughes »

CompVest wrote:Purse carry is an excellent option. It's ONLY drawback is that it isn't attached to the body through belt loops. However, it can be carried cross shoulder in front of the body with fairly adequate security.

On the plus side, the presentation of the gun is very quick form a holster. (Quicker than a lot of CHL holders can draw from their strong side holsters. The gun can be fired from within the holster for even quicker use. Women will be far more likely to carry their gun with them. Purses offer a wide range of sizes to choose from allowing a wide range of gun options. It allows a covert way to keep the hand on the gun when needed without anyone being the wiser. Try resting your hand on your gun in a strong side holster when walking in a parking lot covertly! It isn't very easy to do but it is with a purse carry.

Again purse carry is a reasonable carry option for women and for many it is their best option. Purse carry like every other carry option does need some training and some practice to be proficient.
Hmmm...I did forget the argument that I could easily shoot through my purse if I needed to. And ditto about being able to covertly keep my hand on my gun in my purse. No one even looks at me funny.

T.
PSC Shooting Club, Inc.

davidtx

Post by davidtx »

I'm curious whether or not ladies pocket carry (I'm not sure if the pockets are big enough or pants loose enough). Many of the advantages cited for purse carry resonate with why I like pocket carry so much.

edited for grammar

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Crossfire wrote:Compvest - you may have talked some of the MEN into carrying a purse!

BTW, to answer the question - how and what I carry depends on the situation. Unlike you guys, who dress pretty much the same way every day, us ladies have to be more flexible. Depending on the situation, I carry a S&W 642 in my purse, a Glock 26 in my laptop bag (which also has a holster pocket) a Bersa Thunder in a strongside CTAC holster, a Glock 19 SOB, or the Glock 26 in a bellyband.
Crossfire, you haven't see me yet stylin' around with my Versipak Fatboy-S*! :mrgreen:

*that's man-talk for "purse."

My wife carries exclusively in her purse. She has a holster that someone gave her for her little snubbie, but she is not willing to make any sartorial compromises to make that work for her, so purse carry it is. OTH, she carries it with her at all times, so if that's what it takes for her to do that, then I don't argue with her about it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

jswarren,

I appreciate that you are out finding out about different carry method for yourself.

I carry in an off the shelf purse bought at Macy's. This purse has several compartments. I dedicate one to my gun. All of the other stuff is in other compartments. I keep the gun situated correctly and the trigger covered by using a Desantis pocket holster. This is how I get a "carry purse" that suits my needs and taste.

By the way Galco has the most stylish carry purses out there in my opinion.

Just to cover all bases: I carry in a strong side OWB holster and an IWB M-Tac. I have all the other methods: ankle, thigh, shoulder, belly bands, and Thunderwear. They all work very well but you do need to dress to accommodate them. You will find supporters for each. Truthfully your wife will have to find the one that works best for her. If she is lucky she will find someone like me that has all the options so she can try them before investing.

Good luck! By the way I am in Conroe, TX, north of Houston. PM me if you are in the area.

TLynnHughes

Post by TLynnHughes »

Thunderwear? Now I have got to do some research on that one!!! :smilelol5:

T.
PSC Shooting Club, Inc.

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

It is interesting that Thunderwear was targeting women but by the posts on this thread more men have them than women!

Texas10X
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Texas10X »

Flexibility, convenience, comfort and accessiblity are key. If you don't feel like it's concealed or that you can get to it easily enough (with practice), you have to find a different carry method, one that works better for you. And, because people are as varied as there are different guns, what works for one may not work for another.
Last edited by Texas10X on Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

marksiwel
Banned

Post by marksiwel »

Sometimes I wish we men could carry purses. 5.11 Tactical Purse, you know they have the Specs for it
In Capitalism, Man exploits Man. In Communism, it's just the reverse

Return to “Ladies”