Advice in picking out right gun/pistol for my needs

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
BMWGSRider
Posts in topic: 10

Re: Advice in picking out right gun/pistol for my needs

Post by BMWGSRider »

Thanks everyone for providing me with information as it has given me a lot to think about. I hope to make it to a gun store in the next few days. Also, thanks for those who ride that shared how they carry as it has given me some thought as well. I will welcome all helpful advice.... and thanks again to all those who has chimed in.

A-R
Posts in topic: 3

Post by A-R »

BMWGSRider wrote:Thanks for all the wonderful advice as I will use all the advice that was given in my research for the right gun for me.

I have already qualified and did qualify with a semi-automatic.

I don't mean to be "dumb" but for those who mention try before buy... how do you try before you buy? I did not think there was a way to try a gun out before you buy one. Or when you say try before you buy meaning to find a gun range that will rent guns?

Thanks for all the welcomes... I never got an email notification to replies... are you suppose to get email notifications on replies or no?

Thanks again for sharing you'll knowledge.
Welcome to the forum :tiphat:

Already a lot of good advice. I'll add my $0.02 down below. But to answer your specific "try before you buy" question:

1. Rent guns at a range. Can get expensive $10 or $15 for rental, plus usually have to buy/use their ammo = another $15 to $20, plus range rental time fee. But worth it before you spend +/- $500 on a gun that you intend to be your last line of self defense.

2. Ask around of friends, fellow shooters, folks here on the board. Plenty of good people who like they're particular guns and would be happy to let you shoot a few rounds through them to see if you like them too. We see posts like "Hey I'm in Amarillo and would really like to try Xxxxx gun(s) if anyone has one" all the time. Offer to buy someone a cup of coffee or even lunch and spend an hour at the range. GREAT way to learn. I haven't been to Amarillo myself in over a decade, but I'd offer to let you try some of my guns if you were in Austin area. I'm sure there's someone in that area who'd be happy to let you try their gun(s).

As to recommendations, as has been said it's a very personal thing which gun fits you best. I think it's a lot like fitting on a nice pair of boots. Me personally, I can only comfortably wear ropers - old-fashioned Cowboy style with the skinny toe box and tall upper just don't fit me well at all.

For someone with small hands, I'd certainly try semi-automatics with single-stack magazines. These will naturally have thinner grips, regardless of caliber. Many will point a petite woman with small hands toward the many medium-frame .380-caliber semi-auto guns like Bersa, Walther PPS, Sig Sauer P232, and even Beretta Model 84, Browning BDA etc. These are all great guns. But be aware that their straight blowback method of operation can have as much felt recoil as a similar-sized 9mm pistol with a more forgiving locked breech short recoil operation. Example: I fired a Beretta 84 one time, then picked up my 9mm Glock - which is close to same size, lighter weight, and fires a larger cartridge than the Beretta - but the Glock did not FEEL like it recoiled as hard. This is not to say don't try these .380s, all are well-built great guns and may fit your hand like a glove. Just try something else too as a comparison.

FIT in your hand is the most important factor in accurate, comfortable shooting. If you can't grip the gun properly, you won't be accurate, you won't enjoy shooting it, and over a long time of thousands of rounds of practice shooting you could even injure your hand or wrist (repetitive stress type injuries are not unheard of).

Also take a good look at revolvers - huge number of choices, but many of us carry a snub-nose .38-caliber revolver as either primary or backup weapon. The Smith & Wesson J-frame is the standard. But Ruger, Taurus etc also make very good wheel guns. Many of these guns are made of very lightweight material - aluminum alloy or even composite/polymer frame - and can have a sharp kick or felt recoil that you may not enjoy. If this is a problem, then look for revolvers made of solid steel such as the S&W Model 60 or the Ruger SP-100. Typically, a heavier gun firing the same caliber will have less felt recoil. As an example, my little S&W 638 Airweight snub-nose .38-special has sharp recoil even with standard .38-special ammo and kicks like a mule with .38 +P ammo (some here even fire similar size/weight guns with 125-grain .357 Magnum loads - OUCH! :cryin ). But the same .38-caliber ammo in my big, heavy S&W K-frame revolver with 4-inch barrel feels like shooting a cap gun by comparison. The benefit of a revolver is that typically they are very reliable and easy to operate and clean. The downside is the lack of ammo available in the gun (typically 5 shots with a small carry revolver, 6 or more with much larger models), and the more difficult reloading process if under pressure (easier and faster to put a new magazine into a semi-auto than a speedloader into a revolver - though either can be lightning fast with extensive training and practice).
Last edited by A-R on Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CompVest
Posts in topic: 4

Post by CompVest »

My 2 cents worth:

1. Take a class for a good instructor. You want to know how to grip a gun in a good modern grip. You will need this info so you can correctly assess how a gun fits your hand. Fitting the hand means not only being able to reach and pull the trigger but being able to manipulate the controls - slide stop, safeties, magazine releases, cylinder release, and ejector rod.

2. Take a note book and go to a gun show. Pick up everything there. You shouldn't worry too much about make, model, or caliber. You are looking for guns that fit your hand. Guns that feel good when you pick them up. Write them down. Most likely you will have 1-5 guns that you like at the end of the show.

3. Start your research. Are your choices reliable as far as manufacturer? What caliber choices do they come in? Do they offer full size and compact models? Chances are you will have narrowed it down to 1 or 2. (If you eliminate them all go back to step 2.)

4. Check with your local range do they have your choices as a rental for you to try? If not can you locate a friend or perhaps a Forum member that has one you can try? Shoot them. Now you can make a fairly well informed decision.

As to caliber - the NRA says you should get the largest caliber you can comfortably and accurately shoot. This is excellent advice and a good way to choose. Again to figure this out rent a gun such as a Glock or M&P. These guns come in many calibers allowing you to accurate assess the caliber. This way the grip stays consistant and only the caliber changes.
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

A-R

Post by A-R »

CompVest wrote:My 2 cents worth:

1. Take a class for a good instructor. You want to know how to grip a gun in a good modern grip. You will need this info so you can correctly assess how a gun fits your hand. Fitting the hand means not only being able to reach and pull the trigger but being able to manipulate the controls - slide stop, safeties, magazine releases, cylinder release, and ejector rod.

2. Take a note book and go to a gun show. Pick up everything there. You shouldn't worry too much about make, model, or caliber. You are looking for guns that fit your hand. Guns that feel good when you pick them up. Write them down. Most likely you will have 1-5 guns that you like at the end of the show.

3. Start your research. Are your choices reliable as far as manufacturer? What caliber choices do they come in? Do they offer full size and compact models? Chances are you will have narrowed it down to 1 or 2. (If you eliminate them all go back to step 2.)

4. Check with your local range do they have your choices as a rental for you to try? If not can you locate a friend or perhaps a Forum member that has one you can try? Shoot them. Now you can make a fairly well informed decision.

As to caliber - the NRA says you should get the largest caliber you can comfortably and accurately shoot. This is excellent advice and a good way to choose. Again to figure this out rent a gun such as a Glock or M&P. These guns come in many calibers allowing you to accurate assess the caliber. This way the grip stays consistant and only the caliber changes.
CV, that is well-thought out EXCELLENT point-by-point advice. :thumbs2:

Mind if I steal it and use it to answer similar questions from my students? :angel:

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

austinrealtor, thank you. Please, do pass it on!

Topic author
BMWGSRider

Post by BMWGSRider »

I have gone a few gun stores the last couple of days and looked at some guns. I went to a gun store on Wednesday and the person wasn't too helpful. I went to another gun store yesterday and the person wasn't too helpful.

Today, I went to a different gun shop and my brother was able to come with me this time. This particular gun shop, I handled some more guns and this particular person along with my brother was more helpful in sharing his knowledge with me in helping me find the right gun for me... my tiny hands. Both, my brother and the sales person, said the PK380 would be the best gun for me that fits my hands correctly along with the trigger pull. The sales person explained the gun to me and the gun felt good to my hands as well as the trigger. The gun felt really easy for me to operate where as some of the 9 MM are a little harder until I got use to them. The site looks like it is a good site... and the salesperson said the gun doesn't have much of a kick and is accurate and is a fun gun to shoot.

I have also looked at the pocket .380, the Ruger LCP, I believe the Taurus TCP (small pocket gun... think I have the correct models so please correct me if I am wrong.), as well as the Keltec. I have heard folks say that these guns are good guns to shoot and do not have much of a kick to them... and than I have heard other folks who have shot with multiple type of guns and said these guns have a big kick to them compared to the 9 MM and are not a fun gun to shoot. Yeah, I hear they are good back up guns for law enforcement and etc.

Before I purchase the PK380... and the one I looked at has the laser, I like to hear everyone's pros and cons to the gun... if there has been problems or no problems... accuracy... and anything else you like to share along with what type of holster one uses for this particular gun.

I like to hear feedback/knowledge from others who have owned this gun before I buy which I am planning in the next couple of weeks. I do not know of anyone that has a PK380 to where I can try it before I buy it as a lot of people advise so I am trying to find out as much information about this gun before I spend money on it.

I know folks mentioned for me to get a 9 MM and not have one talk me into a .380... but I feel that if I am going to carry on my person and need to use in a defense type of situation, I would like to have a gun that fits my hand better for me to operate quicker and so forth versus having a gun that doesn't fit my hand as good to where I have a chance of operating not so quickly. I am not saying I can't handle a 9 MM as I can... I just want one that fits my hand better to where I can operate quicker... and perhaps I can get at a later date a 9 MM after I am able to look around more or wait for when a gun show comes to see if there are better choices to where I will find a 9 MM that will fit my hand better that I have not found in the last several days... and if I am going to do a lot of target shooting and I am not saying that I won't with the PK 380... I would use a 9 MM but I would also use the PK 380 as I need to learn how to shoot it and keep up on my skills and improve my skills better. I hope that makes sense.

Some people have shown me revolvers and I am not sure if I 100% want a revolver... a friend of my brothers came into town tonight to give him one of his revolvers for me to try out so hopefully in the next couple days I will try the revolver to see how it feels... and it would be nice to find someone with a PK380 or a place that rents to try it out before I put money towards it.

Thanks so much in advance and also for all the advice and suggestions.

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

If you like the gun and it feels good to you and you have shot one to be sure of the first two criteria - YOU HAVE FOUND YOUR GUN. You will get pros and cons for every gun out there. I suggest that you go with what you like. As with any machinery you run the chance of getting a lemon but I think that is not that common.

LikesShinyThings
Posts in topic: 1

Post by LikesShinyThings »

:iagree: 100% with CompVest - every gun will have its supporters and its detractors. Walther has a good reputation. I haven't looked into the PK380 specifically, but would have no reason to doubt its quality. The most important thing is that you feel comfortable with the gun - in carrying it, in holding it, and in shooting it. If it fails any of these tests, you're more likely to leave it at home than to carry it and, importantly, practice with it.

My husband always tells me (in the discussion of 380 vs 9MM vs 45): the gun you have with you beats the gun in the safe, every time.

Side note: I also have small hands. As well as relatively high sensitivity to recoil. I'm sure there are 9MM's out there that you can find that will be a good fit for you (I'm partial to the Kahr's - they have good size for small hands, and well-controlled recoil, YMMV). I also love the Sig P238 (380). Doesn't speak to your question about the PK380, but maybe more food for thought, either for your initial purchase or subsequent ones down the line.
TSRA Life Member, NRA Benefactor Member, TX CHL

Topic author
BMWGSRider

Post by BMWGSRider »

After choosing the Walter PK380 which I did not buy it at the time,I started reading about the gun and rying to find a place where I could try it before I buy it which I couldn't. Today, I went back the gun store to ask a few more questions and they happen to give me the Springfield XD 9 Sub compact to hold. My brother is partial to the Glock 19 if I would get a 9 MM and suggested me to get a 9 MM versus a .380. I qualified with his Glock 19. Because of my tiny hands and grips on some guns all seems too big to which didn't feel comfortable and at the time the Walter PK 380 felt the best for my tiny hands. No one ever showed me Springfield guns and I think I have fallen for the Springfield XD9 sub compact as it feels good in my hand and the my finger feels perfect on the trigger as I don't feel like I am trying to put too much finger on the trigger as I am with the other guns I have handled. The Springfield grips which I did not know are a little smaller. I am seriously thinking about purchasing the Springfield XD 9 sub compact. Comparing it with a Glock 19, the Springfield XD 9 sub compact is a little shorter but little heavier and grip a little smaller... does it have about the same recoil or less recoil as the Glock 19? The Glock 19 are known to work under extreme conditions... how is the Springfield gun under extreme conditions? Is it more touchy? I like how it has the grip and trigger safety too. What holsters do you'll suggest to carry concealed and is it a easy gun to carry concealed?

I have a limp wrist and have had problems with the bullets loading in the chamber on Rugers but I did not have any problems with the Glock. Today, I was told that some folks have had problems with the Glock with limp wrist and the Springfield guns are good for folks with a limp wrist...has anyone had problems with the Springfield XD 9 sub compact who has a limp wrists?

Thanks.

A-R

Post by A-R »

Glock is the king of durability and reliability. But Springfield XD is no slouch. Only real difference is Glock has been around a bit longer. Either gun would rank at the highest possible level for durability in a modern handgun. Even shorter track record, but becoming equally respected for durability and reliability is the Smith & Wesson M&P line. Personally, I put all three of these brands/product lines on equal footing. Just pick the one that fits you best. Also, if you haven't already, take a look at the Ruger SR9 and SR9c - which are similar, but have very thin grips (comparative to the other three above) and might fit your hands better. Remember with the M&P guns and some of the others, there can be more than one available grip size by changing the "back strap" of the grip - so ask salesman to get the smallest possible backstrap to see if it fits your hands better.

As for the PK380, I think it's a great gun design. It's one of the few available mid-size guns chambered in .380 with a locked breech, short recoil action that provides less felt recoil to the shooter; most other guns in this caliber and size use an old fashioned straight blowback design that is slightly more accurate, but also much more punishing recoil - even from a .380 round.

My two quibbles with it are:

1. No slide lock (you can't lock the action open).
2. No decocker. So, once you load the gun, if you want to carry it with the hammer down ("safer" in some ways), you'll have to engage the safety then manually lower the hammer. If you forget to engage the safety first, you'll be manually easing the hammer down on a live round (let it slip and :fire OOPS - negligent discharge). Not a big deal once you master the technique, but most modern DA/SA guns (double action/single action) offer a decocker to take care of this in one safer step.

If you like Walther, try the PPS 9mm. This is a very thin 9mm gun with a single-stack magazine (as opposed to thicker double-stack magazines in Glock, Springfield XD etc) and two sizes of grip backstraps. The size is very comparable to the PK380, but it will have a bit more recoil and costs more (should be able to find it for $575 or so, but many shops overcharge as much as $650-$700 still for these guns). Also, if you haven't already, take a look at the Taurus 709 Slim, Keltec PF9, and Kahr K9, P9, or CW9 .... all of these are similar sized "single stack" 9mm semi-auto guns.

Topic author
BMWGSRider

Post by BMWGSRider »

austinrealtor wrote:Also, if you haven't already, take a look at the Ruger SR9 and SR9c - which are similar, but have very thin grips (comparative to the other three above) and might fit your hands better. Remember with the M&P guns and some of the others, there can be more than one available grip size by changing the "back strap" of the grip - so ask salesman to get the smallest possible backstrap to see if it fits your hands better.
No one has offered "back strap" to me. I have shot with Ruger SR9. I have a limp wrist and have problems with the bullets loading in the chamber... handled both SR9 and the Ruger LCP. Both guns did the same thing as the last bullet doesn't load correctly. I am steering away from Ruger brand as I have problems with them.
austinrealtor wrote: As for the PK380, I think it's a great gun design. It's one of the few available mid-size guns chambered in .380 with a locked breech, short recoil action that provides less felt recoil to the shooter; most other guns in this caliber and size use an old fashioned straight blowback design that is slightly more accurate, but also much more punishing recoil - even from a .380 round.
After handling the Springfriend XD 9 sub compact and than handling the Walter PK380, the Walter PK380 did not feel as comfortable as the Springfield. The grip felt a little bigger or as not comfortable and I was trying to put too much finger on the trigger and with the Springfield the grip felt good and I wasn't putting too much finger on the trigger. After re-handling the Walter, I have second thoughts...
austinrealtor wrote:
If you like Walther, try the PPS 9mm. This is a very thin 9mm gun with a single-stack magazine (as opposed to thicker double-stack magazines in Glock, Springfield XD etc) and two sizes of grip backstraps. The size is very comparable to the PK380, but it will have a bit more recoil and costs more (should be able to find it for $575 or so, but many shops overcharge as much as $650-$700 still for these guns). Also, if you haven't already, take a look at the Taurus 709 Slim, Keltec PF9, and Kahr K9, P9, or CW9 .... all of these are similar sized "single stack" 9mm semi-auto guns.
I did handle the Taurus Slim... I did not like the feel.. grip still big. I did handle a Kahr today... I think it was a .40 and particularly didn't like the gun... I can't find Kahr. I have not held the Keltec PF9 but the P3AT.

The pawn shop I am going to has the best prices I have found so far.

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

The biggest issue I have with the XDs is they are a pain to clear malfunctions due to the grip safety (if you have small hands). I know this by experience with student's XDs in my classes. I also believe the recoil isn't as easy to manage compared to M&Ps, Glocks, and 1911 style handguns. this is because the XD doesn't sit as low in the hand. The good news is that with good functioning ammunition XDs don't have a lot of malfunctions. I haven't noticed that limp wristing with the XD causes anymore issues than with any other handgun.

If you like it get it. Guns are personal and you need to get what you like. Any issues your choice may have whether with the gun or you can most often be worked through. Sometimes good shooting instruction may be the answer and rarely getting another gun may be the answer if you get a lemon. Either way enjoy the journey!

Topic author
BMWGSRider

Post by BMWGSRider »

CompVest wrote:The biggest issue I have with the XDs is they are a pain to clear malfunctions due to the grip safety (if you have small hands). I know this by experience with student's XDs in my classes. I also believe the recoil isn't as easy to manage compared to M&Ps, Glocks, and 1911 style handguns. this is because the XD doesn't sit as low in the hand. The good news is that with good functioning ammunition XDs don't have a lot of malfunctions. I haven't noticed that limp wristing with the XD causes anymore issues than with any other handgun.

If you like it get it. Guns are personal and you need to get what you like. Any issues your choice may have whether with the gun or you can most often be worked through. Sometimes good shooting instruction may be the answer and rarely getting another gun may be the answer if you get a lemon. Either way enjoy the journey!
Thanks.

Commander
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Commander »

Are you looking at the XD-9 or the XDm-9? The XDm-9 is the newer design and has changeable grip backstraps. If it's the XD-9 you looked at, take the time to compare it to the XDm, I think you'll like the difference.

As to malfunctions, I've never had a malfunction in either my XD-45 or my XDm-40 using various types of ammo. They are very reliable firearms.
"Happiness is a warm gun" - The Beatles - 1969

Commander

Topic author
BMWGSRider

Post by BMWGSRider »

Commander wrote:Are you looking at the XD-9 or the XDm-9? The XDm-9 is the newer design and has changeable grip backstraps. If it's the XD-9 you looked at, take the time to compare it to the XDm, I think you'll like the difference.

As to malfunctions, I've never had a malfunction in either my XD-45 or my XDm-40 using various types of ammo. They are very reliable firearms.
I am looking at the XD-9 not XDM-9. I know I have held XDM-9 and don't think I felt any difference if I did I didn't realize what it was and didn't think anything about it as it didn't make much diff to me. No one mentioned backstrip to me so I will go and hold it longer and ask about backstrip and compare. Thanks for telling me about it and the difference.

Return to “Ladies”