Been called a lot of things....

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
discoqueen
Posts in topic: 6

Been called a lot of things....

Post by discoqueen »

...but "Lady" isn't one of them! :lol:

I just thought I'd take a second to introduce myself, since I've been lurking about for a week or more now!
I've more or less been around guns my entire life (dad fully excercises his 2A right) but have only held a few different hand guns, never fired any. Dad's been after me for years to not only learn to shoot, but also to get my CHL. I just never had much of an interest in it. My husband has also been "badgering" me for a number of years about this, so I'm finally giving in. ;-)

"Giving in" isn't really the right term. I'm finally interested, willing, and even excited about it. I've been doing a lot of research and reading, and am very much looking forward to being comfortable enough handling a weapon so I can take some tactical shooting classes.

That's it, in a nutshell. I'm very much a newbie, but I'll try really hard not to ask any stupid questions, or at least look for the answers myself before I do!
How many tools are in your toolbox?
www.DefensiveMindset.com

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Been called a lot of things....

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Even if you've grown up around guns all your life, if you've never fired a handgun, it would be a very good idea to take an NRA Basic Pistol class to make yourself comfortable with shooting pistols, and to get some ideas and direction as to what kind/caliber of pistol you might want for yourself.

There are a number of us on this board who are NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructors, and if you want to post what city or general area you live in, someone here could probably help you identify an instructor for you.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Post by C-dub »

Welcome to the forum Discoqueen.

Until you started talking about being excited about learning to shoot and more I was going to suggest that "giving in" might be a hint that you aren't ready yet. Don't be worried about asking questions as long as you are sincere about the question you shouldn't come across anyone here that will give you a rough time. I don't visit but a couple of other forums so I can't be sure, but this one is the most tame that I'm aware of or that I've heard of. They are also some of the most knowledgeable folks around.

BTW, it has also taken me several years to get used to being called Mister and Sir. ;-)
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
discoqueen

Post by discoqueen »

Thanks for the welcome!
We're in the far north Dallas 'burbs, and the NRA Basic Pistol class is first on my list of things to do! I've been doing some research on those, but would love some personal recommendations.
I should mention that my husband is quite experienced with guns of all types, and he'll be by my side the whole time (at least until I'm comfortable enough to go to a Girls Only class or get together! :mrgreen: ).

c-dub - I think part of what finally lit a fire under me is that fact that my kiddo just enlisted, and dad wants to help her get some experience with different weapons before she ships to BCT. There's even talk of building an M4!
I'm proud and excited for her, and I want to learn right along with her!

Thanks again for the welcome! I can tell already that there are a lot of really knowledgeable folks here.
www.DefensiveMindset.com

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Welcome!
discoqueen wrote:We're in the far north Dallas 'burbs, and the NRA Basic Pistol class is first on my list of things to do!
Here: http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would go without your husband. Let you focus on what the instructor is teaching instead of hubbie's commentary.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Topic author
discoqueen

Post by discoqueen »

Jumping Frog wrote:Welcome!
discoqueen wrote:We're in the far north Dallas 'burbs, and the NRA Basic Pistol class is first on my list of things to do!
Here: http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would go without your husband. Let you focus on what the instructor is teaching instead of hubbie's commentary.

Do you know my husband? ;-)
www.DefensiveMindset.com

Texas10X

Post by Texas10X »

Welcome, discoqueen!!!! Glad you joined us!!! :thewave

Have fun in your class(es) and learn a lot -- it really IS fun and your excitement will grow!!!!

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

discoqueen wrote:Do you know my husband? ;-)
I don't know him specifically, but I am a husband myself, and I know we husbands can have a tendency to "coach" our wives sometimes when we would be better off simply butting out. :mrgreen:

Am I off the mark?
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

paulhailes

Post by paulhailes »

Welcome to the forum :thewave.

Topic author
discoqueen

Post by discoqueen »

Jumping Frog wrote:
I don't know him specifically, but I am a husband myself, and I know we husbands can have a tendency to "coach" our wives sometimes when we would be better off simply butting out. :mrgreen:

Am I off the mark?
Not at all! That's why I asked if you knew him - thought it was just him that was like that. LOL

Checked out the link you posted, now just have to figure out what will fit into my schedule!
www.DefensiveMindset.com

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Hi discoqueen. I forgot to welcome you to the forum in my previous post. :oops:

Anyway, I sent you a PM.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
discoqueen

Post by discoqueen »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Hi discoqueen. I forgot to welcome you to the forum in my previous post. :oops:

Anyway, I sent you a PM.
Got it, thanks!
www.DefensiveMindset.com

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

discoqueen wrote:
Jumping Frog wrote:

Am I off the mark?
Not at all! That's why I asked if you knew him - thought it was just him that was like that. LOL !
I'd guess that many of us ex-bachelors fit that profile! :smilelol5:

Welcome!
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

I think there are different schools of thought regarding whether a woman should take classes with her husband or not. Personalities have more to do with it than anything else. I can certainly understand that in some cases it is better for a woman to attend alone. Attending alone can can prevent picking up already ingrained bad habits from their SO, and minimize potentially poor equipment choices. This sort of thing falls under the coaching spectrum many of us husbands will adopt in areas where our spouse has less experience.

Having an open mind (preferably both spouses whether they attend class together or not) is essential for good learning. I don't like to spend money without getting full value wherever possible, so if I spend money to attend a class (or if my wife spends money to attend a class) I want to get full value for the money ant time spent. That means not getting in the way or letting others get in the way of the lessons the instructor is trying to get across. As long as spouses are of like mind in this sort of approach attending classes together can be really nice. My wife and I have some really good debriefing sessions after we have attended a class which further solidifies the lessons learned.

All this said, don't discount opportunities to learn separately as well. There are some wonderful gender-specific opportunities for women that sometimes address issues specific to women in shooting or carrying. Take advantage of all the opportunities you can to learn.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

We encourage women to take the Basic Pistol class without their spouse, if he already shoots. They don't need any extra coaching, helping, or criticism on the range.

However, we encourage couples to take the CHL class TOGETHER. That is a whole different environment, and a whole lot of "what ifs" that need to be discussed after class. It helps if they both heard the same thing at the same time.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Return to “Ladies”