Most comfortable IWB carry position for women?

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
urnoodle
Posts in topic: 4

Most comfortable IWB carry position for women?

Post by urnoodle »

I don't have my CHL yet so I can only carry when I'm home so I've not had a lot of practical experience. I have a crossbreed supertuck wanna be IWB holster which I've tried wearing somewhere between 3:30 and 4:37 position :mrgreen:. I don't find it comfortable at all. If I put it too far back, it's very awkward to unholster and reholster the firearm. Too close to 3:00 when I sit down it pokes me under the rib cage. I've looked at the right hand Comp-tac neutral (appendix) carry holster. Do any of you ladies appendix carry? I have a little bit of a tummy so I just wonder where it might poke me when I sit down. Are they harder to conceal? It seems like the most natural draw position. Or if you have any other suggestions to something I might try, all feedback is welcomed.
U R Noodle
CHL since 1/26/2012 - 41 days mailbox to mailbox

JustMe
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Most comfortable IWB carry position for women?

Post by JustMe »

i hope you get some replies because I am working through the same issue myself.
Mary Ellis
TX CHL Instructor NRA Instuctor--Basic Pistol,Basic Rifle, Basic Shotgun, RTBAV,Home Firearm Safety,Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection outside the Home. ,RSO, CRSO,TP&&W Hunter Ed Instructor

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

Recommended reading:

http://corneredcat.com/Contents/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

MoJo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MoJo »

Bang Bang Boutique caters to women who shoot and carry. They have a facebook page that has a lot of information.

the link to their store - - - http://www.bangbangboutique.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

longtooth
Posts in topic: 3

Post by longtooth »

Appendix carry is an excellent choice for ladies.
Corneredcat.com & bangbangboutique.com are good & I give them to ladies in my class.
Your "little bit of tummy" should be no problem.
Not harder to conceal. I find ladies conceal appendix carry easier than many men.
"Poke" should not be an issue unless you have a pretty long barrel. Anything under 4" should be no deal.
Appendix carry is easier to defend your weapon than from 3:00 to small/back.
If that does not work well for you then shoulder carry is another good option. If you do choose shoulder carry you do need some training from someone competent to teach shoulder carry, draw, & retention. Not hard to learn & also easier to defend than 3:00 to small/back.
LT
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Topic author
urnoodle

Post by urnoodle »

Thanks for all the suggestions. There is more info out there than i was finding. All worth more investigating. I knew I came to the right place. :thumbs2:
If that does not work well for you then shoulder carry is another good option. If you
do choose shoulder carry you do need some training from someone competent to
teach shoulder carry , draw, & retention. Not hard to learn & also easier to defend
than 3: 00 to small/back.
I had not really thought about this option but I think i will give it a try (with the proper training of course) .
U R Noodle

TLynnHughes

Post by TLynnHughes »

urnoodle wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions. There is more info out there than i was finding. All worth more investigating. I knew I came to the right place. :thumbs2:
If that does not work well for you then shoulder carry is another good option. If you
teach shoulder carry , draw, & retention. Not hard to learn & also easier to defend
I had not really thought about this option but I think i will give it a try (with the proper training of course) .
In addition to The Cornered Cat, our own forum member, That Texas Lady also blogs and has reviewed several concealed options on her blog http://thattexaslady.blogspot.com/. You might find some info there. (She's also the Amarillo Chapter Facilitator for A Girl and A Gun.)

T.
Women's Program Match Director
PSC Shooting Club, Inc.

"I would like to see every woman know how to handle firearms as naturally as they know how to handle babies." -- Annie Oakley

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

urnoodle wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions. There is more info out there than i was finding. All worth more investigating. I knew I came to the right place. :thumbs2:
Glad to help. Sure wish you were closer. :thumbs2:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Divided Attention

Post by Divided Attention »

This is one of those questions where you will get about as many answers and responders. I carry at about 1 o'clock. I am right handed. I tried 1130 at first as I thought I would cross draw, but like the strong side better. I have cruddy shoulders so anything past 3 o'clock is not always comfortable for me to draw. I use a variety. I have two Kholster combo leather/kydex holsters, and a Concealed Technology combo that I really enjoy. I cannot recommend a good belt enough. It makes a tremendous difference in comfort, fit of your britches, and ease of "on and off". There are some pretty belts out there that don't look so "guy like", but I had to order mine.

One thing you will want to practice is the "throne" room. I find myself now holding my waistband and using the proper "stance" even when I am not carrying.... your gun doesn't have to clatter or flip in the holster more than a time or two to remind you to keep it steady while you attend to "business".

ETA - I don't find appendix carry uncomfortable, you find the sweet spot so sitting and driving is not an issue! I have carried for over 18 hours straight, walking, working, driving and moving equipment. I carry a 9C most of the time, this is the largest side arm I carry. Also you will want an undershirt between your skin and holster - I am a fan of the underarmor type material as it breathes well and doesn't bunch up like the all cotton ones, nor just crawl up like the slippy material.

Welcome and wish you the best! The prior info was wonderful - just thought I would throw my 2 cents in! BTW - with the curve that most females have naturally, 3 and 9 are often harder for us to pull off, it either pokes us or sticks out funny. AND if you appendix carry the "girls" will hide a multitude of sins - use what you have to your benefit :oops:
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

Topic author
urnoodle

Post by urnoodle »

It's amazing how much you do without thinking about it until you have to because you have a gun strapped to your side. I can imagine the reactions I would get from the ladies at work if they saw a 9mm dangling from under the stall in the ladies room. Out of habit I've always taken the holstered gun off when using the restroom. That would not be a good idea when out and about. Thanks for the heads up. :thumbs2: I'll have to put it to practical use before I scare half the staff to death.

I think I can take advantage of both shoulder holster and appendix carry depending on what I'm wearing. I often wear jackets in the colder months so I could advantage of shoulder holster during those times and appendix in the warmer ones.

Longtooth it would be great if you were in the DFW area. I've postponed a few scheduled classes due to work requirements but I intend to get to them soon. I think there's a portion of one class that teaches how to draw from the various positions so I can get some pointers.

I have very little experience carrying a firearm so its the little things that I don't think about that can very easily become a very big something if I don't handle them appropriately. I really appreciate all the feedback. Everyone on this forum has been very helpful and I'm glad to be a part of it.
U R Noodle

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

Waistband holsters require a good belt to support them. I don't like belts.

My preferred carry is in a bellyband. And best part? You don't have to worry about the throne room. It stays put.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

For those women that ask for a recommendation I often advise a belly band or a Kramer undershirt holster.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Texas Dan Mosby

Post by Texas Dan Mosby »

Remember that "comfortable" is a relative factor, and what seems "uncomfortable" at first, can become acceptable and "comfortable" over time.

Make sure you give yourself some time to adjust to whatever carry method you choose before dismissing it altogether, or you may end up chasing after something that you will never find, the "perfect option". Every carry option has advantages and disadvantages regarding comfort, concealment, and accessibility. Think about what you are willing to compromise, and choose accordingly.

Good luck.
88 day wait for the state to approve my constitutional right to bear arms...

Texas10X

Post by Texas10X »

All good responses! I use a variety of carry methods -- pocket carry, carry strong-side appendix and just behind the hip, IWB and OWB, belly band and purse carry. A lot depends on the gun and my attire. Another thing to keep in mind is that if you get a holster with an adjustable cant, you have a bit more flexibility in dealing with where "things" are in relation to your body, which helps in concealment and comfort.

Texas Dan Mosby summarized it all so well. I wrote off some methods I tried early on, but now that I'm more comfortable with carrying, I have given them a second chance and they work for me in certain situations.

Hope this helps. Good luck to you on your search for what's right for you. And here's hoping your license is soon a reality!

nakedbike

Post by nakedbike »

I've run across this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogGBPVk5GQk many times on other forums when laddies are asking for advice. The lady who does the link seems to have thought this out.
12/16/2011 Mailed packet
3/05/2012 In my hand.

Return to “Ladies”