Revolver advice

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
mommagamber
Posts in topic: 5

Revolver advice

Post by mommagamber »

I am going to be buying my first revolver. I have decided between the Ruger LCR or the 2" Chiappa Rhino. The reason for this decision is because these are the only 2 I have found with a lighter trigger pull in DA. I don't have the best finger strength for shooting DA. There is about a $300 price difference between the two guns the Rhino being the highest priced. The Rhino is a cool gun and I think I it would be a easy conceal carry. Anybody have advice about either gun? What about the Muzzle length on the Rhino - is there any reason I should get the 4" or 5" muzzle instead of the 2". Thanks in advance.
I conceal carry because I choose not to be a victim.

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Revolver advice

Post by Crossfire »

I recommend you do not buy any small revolver unless you can find a rental at a gun range first. The small, 2" revolvers tend to be rather unpleasant to shoot.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

:iagree: I agree with Crossfire.

The LCR I shot was pretty uncomfortable in the recoil department the Chiappa Rhino is still too new to have an intelligent opinion on it. I won't buy a new model gun until it has been on the market for at least a year. Try some rental guns to see if a snub nosed revolver is for you.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

snatchel

Post by snatchel »

Yep. Snubs are handfuls for sure.... BUT, I will include an exception

1) Ruger SP101. I have the 2 1/2 in version, and while it is a handful with full house 357 loads, it's quite comfortable with 38 loads. My wife will shoot the 38's, but doesn't want anything to do with the .357's. This is quite a bit heavier than the LCR, and the trigger is much heavier. I would really suggest trying it out at your local gunshop.......

No More Signature

apostate

Post by apostate »

The SP-101 is a sweet shooter and I used mine to qualify at the DPS range years ago. However, it's a bit heavy for pocket carry. That may or may not be an issue depending on its intended role, but it's something to consider.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

What Crossfire said. They don't bother me that much, but I'm used to pretty heavy recoiling pistols. If recoil is an issue for you, then I would definitely recommend a steel framed gun like the SP101 snatchel showed above. Another possibility is the S&W model 640, which actually doesn't have too bad of a trigger, and is also a fully stainless steel pistol. The advantage of snatchel's Ruger over a model 640 is that it does not have an enclosed hammer. This gives you the ability to cock the pistol by pulling back on the hammer, and that will give you a very light single action trigger pull. The DISadvantage of snatchel's Ruger when compared to a model 640 is that the 640's enclosed hammer prevents it getting snagged on anything when trying to draw the gun in a hurry.

Definitely do take advantage of any opportunity you can get to rent or borrow sample guns to shoot first before you go buy one for yourself.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

mommagamber wrote:. . . between the Ruger LCR or the 2" Chiappa Rhino. . . .
Another factor to consider is customer service.

In the event there is ever an issue with your gun, Ruger has established a long-held and terrific reputation for customer service.

The Chiappa Rhino is too new to know how the customer service will hold up over the next 20-30 years.

A "lifetime warranty" is only as good as the company standing behind the warranty. Personally, I'd choose Ruger any day of the week.

Good luck with your purchase!
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Topic author
mommagamber

Post by mommagamber »

After reading many reviews I decided to fork out the $850 for the 2" Chiappa Rhino. This gun has very little recoil and no muzzle flip. My 5 yr old sons shot it and needed only minimal assistance. I think I am going to be very happy with this purchase. This will be an easy gun to CC because of it's size and odd shape. Thank you for all the advice.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildBill »

mommagamber wrote:This will be an easy gun to CC because of it's size and odd shape.
:headscratch What are you going to use for a holster?
NRA Endowment Member

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

You are in Conroe. If you want to come to Lufkin I will let you shoot a Taurus Ultra Lite. Trigger wont be as good but the recoil will be verry comparable. You can then decide on trigger w/o haveing to shoot it.
:tiphat:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Topic author
mommagamber

Post by mommagamber »

WildBill wrote:
mommagamber wrote:This will be an easy gun to CC because of it's size and odd shape.
:headscratch What are you going to use for a holster?
It came with a leather belt holster haven't decided if I am going to use it yet or come up with something else.

Topic author
mommagamber

Post by mommagamber »

Went out and shot my Glock 9mm today after a few weeks of only shooting my Rhino and the recoil of the Glock was huge compared to the Rhino. Guess I need to keep practicing with the Glock.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildBill »

apostate wrote:The SP-101 is a sweet shooter and I used mine to qualify at the DPS range years ago. However, it's a bit heavy for pocket carry. That may or may not be an issue depending on its intended role, but it's something to consider.
:iagree: The SP-101 is an excellent choice for a revolver and a "sweet shooter".

All too often, people suggest a "little gun" for a woman. The little gun may fit a woman's little hands better, but the amount of recoil is simple physics. With identical ammuniton, the heavier the gun, the less recoil. A semi-automatic with have less perceived recoil because of the action of the slide and spring.
NRA Endowment Member

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

mommagamber wrote:After reading many reviews I decided to fork out the $850 for the 2" Chiappa Rhino. This gun has very little recoil and no muzzle flip. My 5 yr old sons shot it and needed only minimal assistance. I think I am going to be very happy with this purchase. This will be an easy gun to CC because of it's size and odd shape. Thank you for all the advice.
A 5 year old shot a .357 and needed only minimal assistance?

Color me stunned. :-)

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Topic author
mommagamber

Post by mommagamber »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote:
mommagamber wrote:After reading many reviews I decided to fork out the $850 for the 2" Chiappa Rhino. This gun has very little recoil and no muzzle flip. My 5 yr old sons shot it and needed only minimal assistance. I think I am going to be very happy with this purchase. This will be an easy gun to CC because of it's size and odd shape. Thank you for all the advice.
A 5 year old shot a .357 and needed only minimal assistance?

Color me stunned. :-)

SIA
Don't get me wrong we were right there standing over but they held and shot the gun on their own. My husband doesn't leave the "Hover" position when they have a gun in their hand.

Return to “Ladies”