Advice needed, especially from a lady

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
ANG201
Posts in topic: 1

Advice needed, especially from a lady

Post by ANG201 »

I just recently bought a Remora to wear with my looser fitting pants. I carry a Bersa Thunder cc 380. I love how it feels but it seems lately I've become extremely self conscious, to the extent that I keep on checking my right hip to make sure it's covered! It's driving me crazy and I know there really isn't a reason for it because it is concealed. Only one who is looking alittle to closely would notice something is there. Is there some point that you become unaware that you are wearing it, or should you always be aware that it's sitting on your hip (or wherever you carry)? It's causing me to be distracted to the point it's keeping me from doing what I need to do.

Another point.....I've watched the skinny girls on YouTube who model the IWB holsters, and other types of holsters and even when I look closely, I can't see the gun they are wearing. Yet, when I try the same thing myself, I can see the outline of it. I am not skinny, but not large, either. Am I making too much of this?
GEORGE WASHINGTON-"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains EVIL interference."

Divided Attention
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Advice needed, especially from a lady

Post by Divided Attention »

In a word - Yes! You know exactly where your sidearm is, AND you can feel it against you. It feels HUGE at first. My best suggestion - wear it EVERY day, no matter what you are doing, wear an undershirt to avoid rubbing and irritation. Soon it will be come like a watch - feels weird when it is not there. If where you are wearing it is not comfortable, move it a little, if you can't easily put a full grip on it easily, move it a little. By all means, practice going to the restroom. Potty breaks are my biggest reservation about the remora type holster, whatever do you do with it when you potty?, My IWB Comptac just stays put, guided with two fingers to avoid flipping and sudden droppage :oops: A good belt makes a huge difference. The belt keeps it closer in to my side. I often wear with tee's and tucked, no problem, but at first it felt HUGE and I knew everyone could see it and expected screams of terror and to be tackled everytime I went somewhere.

You didn't say what you were carrying, mine is either M&P 9C, or P238 - no problem hiding that at all. or a Colt snubby revolver. I have also carried my full size M&P, but being short waisted makes it not so comfortable as my compact 9. Good luck and welcome - always glad to add to the 'girls club" ;-) although this is a great group of guys for the most part.
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

mamabearCali

Post by mamabearCali »

Sorry I am late to the party.

I often carry OWB with a cover garnet and yes sometimes I do get worried about it. T
Check it, but don't worry too much.
SAHM to four precious children. Wife to a loving husband.

"The women of this country learned long ago those without swords can still die upon them!" Eowyn in LOTR Two Towers

Songbird

Post by Songbird »

My experience has been that if my carry method is a good one - really secure and stable - then I know it's there doing its job, but don't really check or mess with it. When I first started carrying, it was a Colt Mustang in a crappy Uncle Mike holster and a flimsy belt. I was constantly messing with/adjusting it. Then I got a very well made custom leather holster and belt. Now I carry a 9mm PPS OWB and don't mess with it at all. So....maybe the Remora isn't as safe and secure as it needs to be. My thought is that if your carry method is doing what it's supposed to then you won't be conscious of it all the time.
CHL Class 1/13/12
Plastic in hand 2/27/12

Divided Attention
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Divided Attention »

In a way I agree with you, but at first you will "mess with it" just because it is different and heavy - face it my 9mm fully loaded is over 2 pounds, that is a lot concentrated on a small area on your waist. Like wearing a new watch, ring, getting false nails for the first time (I won't ever again). The feel weird, and until you adjust to them and their "newness" you mess with them a bit. Now, that being said, if you are messing with it because it is moving, sliding, slipping, then in my mind there is a problem and you need to find out how to make it secure. JMPHO.... that and a $1.50 will get you a soda most places.
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

jimtexas68

Post by jimtexas68 »

I really wish I could get my wife to read this forum. She just completed her CHL and waiting for her plastic. You ladies are a wealth of knowledge about guns and gear that effect YOU as women. She would rather listen to me on some things because well, she just trusts me I'm her husband. But, there are certain things that not even I can answer for her. I would much rather she read your posts and learn than get frustrated and leave her weapon at home. That kind of defeats the purpose. She currently shoots and plans to carry a Ruger LC9 that SHE chose and like very much. Happy shooting ladies, it's good to know ya'll are out there.

chelleb

Post by chelleb »

I like the underwear- I am sorta smallish- 5ft 2- 130 to 140 pounds- (I quit checking- as long as I don't have to buy new clothes I am happy) , I wear mine in my back waistband with the compression undershorts, and to be honest- when I first put it on I felt it for the first 15 minutes. By the time I sat down in the car I forgot about it. wore it all day, riding around the hunting club on the Ranger, in and out- bending down and getting up- I never knew it was there.

** TMI** and of course, as with all hunting club excursions- especially all day ones- I had to tinkle- a few times- I was able to do so with NO problem, the gun never shifted, came out or anything- it came back up with my undergarments and there were no problems at all.

I have the belly band, but haven't found a comfortable way to wear it yet- it rides up, ending up right under my breasts. or the gun isn't sufficiently hidden. I am not uncurvy- but even my .380 sticks out. I haven't attempted to carry with the belly band in the small of my back yet. I will try that next.
I think responsible people should be able to carry anywhere.We are protecting ourselves.Ourselves are with us no matter where we are. I don't leave myself, or my vulnerability at the door because I pass the threshold of a certain establishment, I shouldn't have to leave my protection outside either.

Return to “Ladies”