Left eye dominant, but right handed!

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
CHLLady
Posts in topic: 3

Left eye dominant, but right handed!

Post by CHLLady »

I'm in classes with an active officer. While at the range, I noticed how I was aiming with my left eye. He said its not un-common, not much I can do about it unless I practice to change the habit. He tested us and said I was left eye dominant. Another lady was also left eye dominant.

Hubby did laugh at me when I came home and told him. I didn't get mad, it is kinda funny. But what do I do about it? I naturally sight/aim with my left eye! Is this a huge deal? I seem to do pretty well, considering I never noticed before. Lol. :oops:
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Left eye dominant, but right handed!

Post by SewTexas »

I'm left eye dominant, it's not really a problem unless I'm trying to shoot a long gun, then it gets a bit clumsy
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Very common. My younger brother is left eye/right handed. A good friend is right eye/left handed. Luckily she has a pistol with ambidextrous safety and mag release. Some people can learn to train their other eye to shoot with, but with a pistol it is not too much of an issue. Rifle is more of a problem. Just practice practice practice and shoot the way that it is comfortable for you.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

When shooting put a patch over the left eye. With time you can become ambidextrous. It takes concentration.

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

I'm another one in the "if it's working for you now, why worry about it?" column. And, yes, I'm right-handed and left eye dominant as well.

The human brain has a remarkable ability to adapt to "what is". Let it do it's work!
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

I am also left eye dominant. I have to shoot a rifle left handed (fun with casings ejecting across my face) as I also write left handed, and a few other things. I had to learn to shoot pistols right handed in the military because of the requirement to RH carry, but this is not a problem as I naturally do some things right handed (go figure). I hold RH, aim left eye. I am not ambidextrous, things I do LH I cannot do RH (maybe clumsily), and vice versa.

IMO, do not try to change your dominant eye. Learn and practice what your body naturally wants to do and you will be more successful than trying to force it into an unnatural position. For 20 years, every time I went to the range, I qualified Expert rifle and pistol, so it works for me.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

A lot of handgun instructors get all wrapped around the axle over eye dominance. Cross eye dominance is only a problem with long guns, and only then when approached in the wrong manner by the wrong person. With long guns the cross eye dominant shooter has to decide, yes the shooter needs to make the decision, to learn to use the non dominant hand or the non dominant eye. Find the technique that's easiest for you, and train that way

As long as you are shooting a handgun, no problem. :thumbs2: :tiphat:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Blindref757

Post by Blindref757 »

I'm right handed and left eye dominant. I have always shot...long guns and pistols with my left eye closed. I won't pretend that I can shoot 2" groups at 15 yards...but not a lot of people can who have proper vision/dominance. I've missed a few doves in my day, but so do my friends...and we've all shot a few hostages in IDPA setups. You learn to live with it...it isn't going to keep me from enjoying or responsibly using my guns.

Topic author
CHLLady
Posts in topic: 3

Post by CHLLady »

Thank you for sharing! I feel so much better about it now. I do believe I will let it be. I need to focus on other things without the added burden of standing at my target and switching eyes to aim. Lol. Where's a good pirate smilie when you need one! That would be pretty hysterical to go to our local range with a patch over my eye. Hubby would die of embarrassment. Hmm... :evil2:
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

fickman

Post by fickman »

I learned to twist my torso to the left and I get a clear sight with my left eye. To imagine it, the chine will be close to the left shoulder, the right arm will be extended across the body with the gun outstretched to your left.

Works for me. Quick target acquisition with both eyes open.
Native Texian

rtschl

Post by rtschl »

I have a "lazy" right eye and am right handed. So I shoot long guns left handed. Closing my left eye is not an option for me so I do have to compensate when shooting a handgun. If I don't,I tend to be a little high and to the left. Not a problem at 3 or 5 yards, but a world of difference at 15 or further.

A while back I found the following article with a few different techniques to try: https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/ccm-co ... t-shooter/

Main thing is to practice and KNOW where you place your shot with how you aim with a cross dominant eye.

Ron
Ron
NRA Member

Divided Attention

Post by Divided Attention »

With pistols this is not an issue... I simply (after 40 years) learned to shoot long arms left handed. It helps the trigger finger to do "weak hand" practice. I am SO left eye dominant that I have extreme difficulty closing my left eye to leave my right eye open. I have been practicing, but if I try to aim with both eyes open I get terrible double vision. This is typically only a problem in long arms. I am getting much better with pistols.

I don't understand why you would want to work with a patch - you gonna wear a patch everywhere you go? To me it is much easier to train a finger than an eye. This is what we teach our 4-H kiddos as well. YYMV
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

I switched hands to match the dominant eye.

Works way better for me. Now I shoot both long guns and handguns with the same trigger finger that lines up naturally with my dominant eye.

Even though I am left-handed but see with my right eye, if I would attempt drawing with my left hand now it would feel very awkward. Now I carry right-handed and no longer even own lefty holsters.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Dirthawking

Post by Dirthawking »

The wife thinks it is funny, but yes I am also left eye domanant. I can not even close just my left eye. Doesn't happen. I shoot rifle from left hand and pistol from right. Just had to learn to sight in different and shoot what is comfy for me.
Some people simply need a high five, to the face, with a chair!

CDGMAC

Post by CDGMAC »

For defensive purposes you should learn how to shoot with both eyes open. Not something you learn right away, but once you get dialed in it does have its advantages. While focusing on the clear tip of the forward sight you can train your dominant eye to take over the forward sight while having both eyes open.

I ask my students this one question. If you were stepping into the ring for the title fight of your life would you close one eye the entire bout?

Having both eyes open is important for maintaining full awareness and preventing target fixation. Most people during elevated levels of stress will focus on their target or threat and not on their sights. Good luck and dont get frustrated at first, it takes consistent practice.
Mac Mackinzie

Return to “Ladies”