Stun Gun Questions

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
sweetmelissa
Posts in topic: 8

Stun Gun Questions

Post by sweetmelissa »

I'm finding contradictory information regarding stun guns in Texas. Is a permit required or not? I will have my CHL soon (hopefully) but I wanted to also carry a stun gun and some pepper spray for those situations where I won't be able to conceal carry - and it would be nice right now before my CHL gets here.

Any advise?

LSUTiger
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Stun Gun Questions

Post by LSUTiger »

I believe they are perfectly legal to own and use and would not constitute UCW. (IANAL) Cost wise stun guns and pepper spray are relatively cheap, but I can't speak to their effectiveness but personally I wouldn't rely on them but I guess they are better than nothing.

IMHO, I'd prefer to carry a good tactical knife for self defense over a stun gun or pepper spray. You just stick the pointy end in the bad guy, no ninja skills needed. But I'm a big guy and that changes the tactics I use.

Tasers/Cartridges are really expensive and I'd always prefer a gun if I am going go through the expense and training.

You can still have a gun for HD and carry in your vehicle under MPA.

Check out this link for what it's worth:

Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

nyj
Posts in topic: 2

Post by nyj »

LSUTiger wrote:
IMHO, I'd prefer to carry a good tactical knife for self defense over a stun gun or pepper spray. You just stick the pointy end in the bad guy, no ninja skills needed

I'll disagree with that. A lot of people think that a knife is a good defense weapon, and unless you've had training in using one for that duty, then I'd recommend something else. A knife guarantees that you make contact with someone. A knife does not stop people in their tracks. A knife is also easily lost and/or used against you.

Stun guns are a poor option for some of the same reasons as using a knife. Quality pepper spray is a good alternative for times when you can't carry.

Topic author
sweetmelissa

Post by sweetmelissa »

LSUTiger wrote:I believe they are perfectly legal to own and use and would not constitute UCW. (IANAL) Cost wise stun guns and pepper spray are relatively cheap, but I can't speak to their effectiveness but personally I wouldn't rely on them but I guess they are better than nothing.

IMHO, I'd prefer to carry a good tactical knife for self defense over a stun gun or pepper spray. You just stick the pointy end in the bad guy, no ninja skills needed. But I'm a big guy and that changes the tactics I use.

Tasers/Cartridges are really expensive and I'd always prefer a gun if I am going go through the expense and training.

You can still have a gun for HD and carry in your vehicle under MPA.

Check out this link for what it's worth:

I am 5' tall and about 105 lbs. I live alone in an apartment complex in the entertainment district of Arlington, so I encounter strangers, drunks, etc, etc... on a daily basis. I have an extremely violent, large, biker (6'2" - 260 lb) soon to be ex that stalks me regularly, and I have another biker stalker. There are situations where I am not able to carry, and in those situations I would like to be able to use pepper spray and/or a stun gun to protect myself if necessary. Tasers are expensive, which is why I would opt for a stun gun, and I hope to never have to be close enough to use a stun gun, and I do carry a knife. I just want to feel safe on a daily basis when I can't carry my gun, and my CHL hasn't come in yet.

Topic author
sweetmelissa

Post by sweetmelissa »

nyj wrote:I'll disagree with that. A lot of people think that a knife is a good defense weapon, and unless you've had training in using one for that duty, then I'd recommend something else. A knife guarantees that you make contact with someone. A knife does not stop people in their tracks. A knife is also easily lost and/or used against you.

Stun guns are a poor option for some of the same reasons as using a knife. Quality pepper spray is a good alternative for times when you can't carry.
I worry that a knife could be taken away from me, pepper spray is a great option, and a stun gun would be an asset if the pepper spray wasn't effective.

Topic author
sweetmelissa

Post by sweetmelissa »

george wrote:I like to have as many options as possible.
Pretty much what I'm thinking.

LSUTiger

Post by LSUTiger »

nyj wrote:
LSUTiger wrote:
IMHO, I'd prefer to carry a good tactical knife for self defense over a stun gun or pepper spray. You just stick the pointy end in the bad guy, no ninja skills needed

I'll disagree with that. A lot of people think that a knife is a good defense weapon, and unless you've had training in using one for that duty, then I'd recommend something else. A knife guarantees that you make contact with someone. A knife does not stop people in their tracks. A knife is also easily lost and/or used against you.

LSUTiger wrote:
Yeah, but you left out the last part. I have different tactics due to my size/mindset/ability. Sometimes closing the gap, while counter intuitive, can be the best option. What works for me might not work for you.

I still think pepper spray is marginally effective at best depending on the attackers mindset and tolerance for pain, it's also easily defeated with any kind of cheap protective eyewear.

The same goes for the effectiveness of stun guns, if closing the gap is my best option then I want a lethal option and a knife is the best non gun legal to carry no permit required option for me.
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

nyj

Post by nyj »

Bigger you are, harder you fall. And slow. :thewave

Topic author
sweetmelissa

Post by sweetmelissa »

LSUTiger wrote:
nyj wrote:
LSUTiger wrote:

LSUTiger wrote:
Yeah, but you left out the last part. I have different tactics due to my size/mindset/ability. Sometimes closing the gap, while counter intuitive, can be the best option. What works for me might not work for you.

I still think pepper spray is marginally effective at best depending on the attackers mindset and tolerance for pain, it's also easily defeated with any kind of cheap protective eyewear.

The same goes for the effectiveness of stun guns, if closing the gap is my best option then I want a lethal option and a knife is the best non gun legal to carry no permit required option for me.

All I hope for is at least a "deterrant" until I can legally conceal carry and some other option for situations in which I can't carry. Restraining orders are just a piece of paper, and in my case made the situation worse. He has attacked me several times and done things like bury a screwdriver in my gas tank in a position where it dragged the ground - he was hoping that it would spark and ignite.

Since the divorce is not final, and he has been dragging it out for YEARS I can't get a new car, or make any other moves that would put me in a safer situation. Even the gates on my gated apartment complex don't work. I am at the point where I fear going outside at all. I am open to any other suggestions. I don't feel that a knife is the best option because he has grabbed my wrists and forced me to break my own nose - he can and does easily overpower me.

LSUTiger

Post by LSUTiger »

nyj wrote:Bigger you are, harder you fall. And slow. :thewave
That's what little people like to say.

LSUTiger

Post by LSUTiger »

sweetmelissa wrote:
LSUTiger wrote:
nyj wrote:
LSUTiger wrote:

LSUTiger wrote:

All I hope for is at least a "deterrant" until I can legally conceal carry and some other option for situations in which I can't carry. Restraining orders are just a piece of paper, and in my case made the situation worse. He has attacked me several times and done things like bury a screwdriver in my gas tank in a position where it dragged the ground - he was hoping that it would spark and ignite.

Since the divorce is not final, and he has been dragging it out for YEARS I can't get a new car, or make any other moves that would put me in a safer situation. Even the gates on my gated apartment complex don't work. I am at the point where I fear going outside at all. I am open to any other suggestions. I don't feel that a knife is the best option because he has grabbed my wrists and forced me to break my own nose - he can and does easily overpower me.
Some guys eat pepper spray for breakfast and are able to fight through it, some cry like little girls. Your ex sounds like the kind that would fight through it overcome with rage/testosterone/andrenaline. Distance is always your friend until you run out of options, then what are you gonna do?

If you have no short game and a handgun is not an option, then the only other option is to carry a long gun. OC is legal and you can always carry in a case if its more practical for you.

Personally, if I was in that much known danger with that history I would do what it took to protect myself. Obviously the police and the criminal justice system are doing a terrible job at protecting you. (not that I would expect anything more, not a knock on police but that's just the way it is)

What's worse than losing your life?

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SewTexas »

LSUTiger wrote:
sweetmelissa wrote:
LSUTiger wrote:
nyj wrote:
LSUTiger wrote:

LSUTiger wrote:

Some guys eat pepper spray for breakfast and are able to fight through it, some cry like little girls. Your ex sounds like the kind that would fight through it overcome with rage/testosterone/andrenaline. Distance is always your friend until you run out of options, then what are you gonna do?

If you have no short game and a handgun is not an option, then the only other option is to carry a long gun. OC is legal and you can always carry in a case if its more practical for you.

Personally, if I was in that much known danger with that history I would do what it took to protect myself. Obviously the police and the criminal justice system are doing a terrible job at protecting you. (not that I would expect anything more, not a knock on police but that's just the way it is)

What's worse than losing your life?
problem is, a guy like she's describing, will take it away from her, her best defense is surprise, well, that and distance, like you mentioned. Open carrying a long gun just doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Melissa, how long have you been waiting now? seems like it's been awhile.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Topic author
sweetmelissa

Post by sweetmelissa »

@SewTexas - I'm still within the normal wait. And I DO carry in my car and my home.

He stalks the area around where I live and work, he has done damage to my car at work, he has attacked me at work twice, his biker friends harrass me... These are the same people involved in the Waco incident.

I can't carry in the building at work until I get my CHL, so I'm really, really anxious.

Once the divorce is final I will relocate, but until then, I'm stuck.

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

sweetmelissa wrote:@SewTexas - I'm still within the normal wait. And I DO carry in my car and my home.

He stalks the area around where I live and work, he has done damage to my car at work, he has attacked me at work twice, his biker friends harrass me... These are the same people involved in the Waco incident.

I can't carry in the building at work until I get my CHL, so I'm really, really anxious.

Once the divorce is final I will relocate, but until then, I'm stuck.
Out of curiosity, you do have a paper trail for this mess, right? Restraining order, etc? Personally, I'd make sure I had one and then called local PD every time I so much as saw him or his friends. They probably won't be able to do much, but in the event it does come to a defensive situation (hopefully not), you've got a mile of paperwork and police reports to cover your backside.

Return to “Ladies”