Thanks and we need your feedback.

Tell us what you liked, what you didn't like and what you would like to see at the next year's event.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Thanks and we need your feedback.

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Thanks to everyone who attended this year's event and to the dedicated volunteers who made it all possible.

The event staff would like to get feedback from the folks who attended to use in planning the 2008 Forum Day. Please be candid; we're not just soliciting compliments. We truly want to hear what you liked and didn't like, what worked and what didn't. It would also be helpful if you would tell us if there are any shooting clinics or seminars you would like to see added to the schedule in 2008.

On behalf of all of the event staff, thanks for coming and thank you in advance for your feedback.

Chas.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I'm a little hesitant to offer suggestions because The event was so well done. and the smallest of details were looked after.

How about a packet.

I could have used a printout map of the facility on where the events were going to be, the rest rooms, soda machines and AC to get out of the heat..

MAybe even a printout of our schedual. I lost mine at home and forgot what I had signed up for.

A sheet of paper crediting the hard workers who helped put this thing together.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

MegaWatt
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MegaWatt »

For me this was a very informative venture. I was a little skeptical going into it, you know the "old dog, new tricks" thing but everything that was covered is certainly going to help my shooting skills in the future and I promise I'll practice! ;-) All the instructors were great and showed much patience with both the new shooters and us seasoned shooters.

I also got a lot from the deadly force seminar Friday evening. Great presentaion Charles! Lots to think about there.

A couple suggestions to make it better for next time: Post more signs out by the shooting bays showing the times and locations. The colored squares on the badges were a good idea but I had to walk back to the IDPA office to figure out where I had to go next and when.

Move the Texas star to a more secluded bay. It was hard to hear the instructors some times while all the shooting was going on next door, not to mention the flying schrapnel. (I got hit twice)

But these are small things and my overall satisfaction of the day is "What a great time!" I look forward to the next one. Good food too!
MegaWatt

NRA Endowment Life
TSRA Life
IHMSA
IDPA

Colt - The original "Point and Click" device.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

MegaWatt wrote: Good food too!
Yeah! Dont change a thing on the food. Was it Joe's?
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

The only real problem I noted was that I forgot which sessions I had signed up for, and I didn't figure out the color code for a while. There were simultaneous sessions that I wanted to attend, and I mentally flipped a coin to choose one.

I have added a note to the registration form (for next year) saying to copy the form or make a note of which sessions the attendee signed up for.

My only other comment hardly worh making: There was so much to do and not enough hours in the day.

- Jim

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Liberty wrote:I'm a little hesitant to offer suggestions because The event was so well done. and the smallest of details were looked after.

How about a packet.

I could have used a printout map of the facility on where the events were going to be, the rest rooms, soda machines and AC to get out of the heat..

MAybe even a printout of our schedual. I lost mine at home and forgot what I had signed up for.

A sheet of paper crediting the hard workers who helped put this thing together.
All very good suggestions and easily incorporated next year.

Thanks,
Chas.

swiven

Post by swiven »

This event was fantastic. Thanks again to everyone who put it together and made it go.

I really enjoyed the women's seminar. I wish that it had made it onto the schedule so that everyone knew it was going on. Also, I was a little discomfited by the XY peanut gallery. I don't mind shooting in a mixed sex group, and I understand that the guys there were there to support their wife/mother/girlfriend, and they were very polite. But I still felt weird shooting in a group of women while a group of guys that I didn't know stood around watching.

Lunch was delicious. Could there be a salad next year? Or maybe green beans? But don't change the caterer to do it.

I second what people said about a schedule and a map. As for the Texas Star, it took me all day to figure out that that was an open and non-scheduled event. If there was anywhere else to do open shooting, I never figure out where it was. I'd like that information to make it onto the schedule and/or map as well.

I really appreciated when the women's clinic and the failure drill clinic taught specific exercises that we could do at home (err, I mean, at the range after we got home;). I'd like more seminars like that.

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

swiven,

I agree with you about the men at a women's class. We do not allow men at the monthly Women's class at PSC. We did not close the range for the forum as we wanted the men to see what we were doing. We hope that this will encourage them to encourage their ladies to come join us.

We will certainly consider closing the range to men next year.

TraCoun

Post by TraCoun »

Liberty wrote:Yeah! Dont change a thing on the food. Was it Joe's?
Not Joe's, it was Central BBQ in Pearland.
We've used them before, never had any complaints.
Thanx,
TraCoun

Xander

Post by Xander »

Well first and foremost, I'd like to thank you, PSC, the instructors and other volunteers for what was truly an outstanding event.

The clinics and instructors were excellent, the food was first rate, and there isn't anything I could offer regarding the activities themselves that could improve them. The couple of suggestions that I'd make are most relevant to first timers, I think. I'll be a lot more comfortable next year regardless, now that I have my bearings. The bit of confusion I had was due to the fact that it was my first time at a CHL Forum day, and at PSC.

---------------------------------
- Issue: Finding registration. When I pulled in Saturday morning, I didn't know where sign-in was, and it didn't seem that anybody else did either. I was directed to the blue building twice, to the general area of the bays two or three times, and it was the fifth or sixth person I asked who could finally point to the building where sign-in was happening.

- Suggestion: A sign or two pointing the way to where to go to sign-in would be quite helpful.

-------------

- Issue: Figuring out the schedule and the range. At sign-up, I was handed a badge, but didn't get an explanation of the colors, where anything was happening, or what was available. I know that several of us stood around in an empty bay for ten minutes or so, before we figured out that the clinic we were waiting for had been moved to another bay. There seemed to be general confusion about what was going on where, and nobody seemed to know what the colors on the badges were. The sheet that was put up on the registration building door at some point in the day matching seminars and clinics to their badge colors, times, and bays was very helpful, but it wasn't up first thing in the morning.

- Suggestion: I know hand-outs were suggested earlier, but all I really think would be needed would be for the sheet on the registration building door to be up first thing in the morning with a simple map of the range next to it, and then when handing out badges point people to it and explain that the colors on the badge match the colors on the sheet for the sessions they're registered for.

- Bonus Suggestion: If it could be noted on the sheets which sessions were full, it would give folks with free time a better chance to choose another session with to attend where there might still be openings allowing them to participate.

-------------

- Issue: Some of the bays on the range weren't clearly marked, and that added to the fact that sessions were being moved around led to people (myself included) not being in the correct bay for a clinic, or worrying that they weren't in the correct bay even if they were.

- Suggestion: A sign (even a simple 8.5x11 sheet of paper) at the entrance to each bay where a clinic is being held noting the name and time of the clinic being held would solve this issue completely.

Thanks again for a wonderful event. All of the time and hard work that I know went into it was immensely appreciated. I had a great time, met great people, got some great advice, and learned a ton. I'm already eagerly awaiting next year's forum day.

-Xander

NcongruNt

Post by NcongruNt »

I'll also give my compliments on the event. I had a lot of fun and learned a lot. Thanks to everyone who worked to make it a great day.

As far as suggestions for the future, I'll second a couple of things stated above...

Signs marking things would have been helpful in finding the specific clinics. I know I spent a good amount of time finding where I was supposed to be. This was especially true in finding registration. I walked all the way down to the opposite end of the range before I turned back and started walking the other way. I had to ask a few people before I found someone who knew where registration was going on. Lunch was not as much a problem, as most people were walking that way, but I can see how it might have been a problem for stragglers. A sign at each bay stating which bay it was and what was being held there would have helped as well.

Green beans is a good suggestion for an addition to the food. Fried okra is another favorite of mine, if they make it. I probably would have downed some salad too, were it available. The barbecue was good, but meat, meat, potato salad, coleslaw, and bread sits a little heavy.

A description of what was going to be covered in each clinic in advance would also be good. The titles had the jist of it, but more specifics would have been nice and be helpful in folks planning their day.

Hopefully, Battlefield pickup happens next year. I was looking forward to shooting some guns I'd never handled before.

VViper

Post by VViper »

Thanks to Charles and everyone who worked to make this event such a success. It was first-class in every regard. It was nice to meet some of the other Fourm members, and put names together with faces. I'm already looking forward to next year!

Return to “Feedback - 2007 TexasCHLforum Day at PSC”