Texas State Fair

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 3

Texas State Fair

Post by sjfcontrol »

I've heard on WBAP twice today, that "this year guns are not allowed at the fair".

Anybody else heard this from any other source?
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Texas State Fair

Post by Taypo »

sjfcontrol wrote:I've heard on WBAP twice today, that "this year guns are not allowed at the fair".

Anybody else heard this from any other source?
First I'm hearing of it. They've always allowed CHL holders in the past with no issues. We'll be there opening weekend, so I'll be sure to let you know if someone else doesn't beat me to it.

thetexan
Posts in topic: 5

Post by thetexan »

The state fair website still states, under FAQS, that they are permitted with a valid CHL.

tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

Topic author
sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

thetexan wrote:The state fair website still states, under FAQS, that they are permitted with a valid CHL.

tex
I saw that. It's possible WBAP was referring to non-licensed carry. Or the FAQ could be outdated.
Never Forget. Image

jrene
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jrene »

Their website says otherwise:

Weapons and sharp metal objects, such as pocket knives, scissors and the like, are not allowed. The State of Texas does allow a person holding a valid concealed handgun license to enter into Fair Park with a concealed handgun. However, during the State Fair of Texas and some other special events, licenses will be examined at the entrance by an authorized security supervisor. In accordance with Texas laws that protect "premises where a high school, collegiate or professional sporting event or interscholastic event is taking place," handguns are never permitted inside the Cotton Bowl.

thetexan
Posts in topic: 5

Post by thetexan »

Just called and confirmed with park police (Dallas Police) that chl carry is permitted.

tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

thetexan wrote:Just called and confirmed with park police (Dallas Police) that chl carry is permitted.

tex
Nicely done.

Just read an article on Fox4 talking about banned items this year, they also mentioned weapons.

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

jrene wrote:Their website says otherwise:

Weapons and sharp metal objects, such as pocket knives, scissors and the like, are not allowed. The State of Texas does allow a person holding a valid concealed handgun license to enter into Fair Park with a concealed handgun. However, during the State Fair of Texas and some other special events, licenses will be examined at the entrance by an authorized security supervisor. In accordance with Texas laws that protect "premises where a high school, collegiate or professional sporting event or interscholastic event is taking place," handguns are never permitted inside the Cotton Bowl.
I always get a kick out of that statement. The law says "event is taking place" not "where a . . . event has or will take place," it is a current event, not a past or future event, leading to "never permitted" being somewhat moronic.

But I guess no one has ever challenged it.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Topic author
sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

jimlongley wrote:

I always get a kick out of that statement. The law says "event is taking place" not "where a . . . event has or will take place," it is a current event, not a past or future event, leading to "never permitted" being somewhat moronic.

It Is my understanding (and I could be wrong) that the stadium is not open to the public unless there is an event taking place.
Never Forget. Image

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

sjfcontrol wrote:
jimlongley wrote:

It Is my understanding (and I could be wrong) that the stadium is not open to the public unless there is an event taking place.
While that may be true, it does not render the statement any less wrong.

And they have, in the past, offered tours, which would not fit in the definition of "a high school, collegiate or professional sporting event or interscholastic event is taking place,"

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

I carried into the State Fair today. At the gate entrance, I told the guy with the wand that I needed to see a police officer. He asked why and I said CHL. He said that he was the one and asked for my CHL and drivers licenses. He then told me to proceed to the police officer in the elevated stand to which I showed my licenses. The officer said have a nice day.

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

John Galt wrote:I carried into the State Fair today. At the gate entrance, I told the guy with the wand that I needed to see a police officer. He asked why and I said CHL. He said that he was the one and asked for my CHL and drivers licenses. He then told me to proceed to the police officer in the elevated stand to which I showed my licenses. The officer said have a nice day.

That's how it worked for me last year with my Utah ccw, now this year with my Texas Chl I expect the same thing
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

ajwakeboarder

Post by ajwakeboarder »

Last year I got wanded before I could even mention my CHL. the want went off over my gun and she still just waved me through. I tried to talk to the officer manning the gate, but they weren't at their stand. So I just continued about my business.
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

John Galt wrote:I carried into the State Fair today. At the gate entrance, I told the guy with the wand that I needed to see a police officer. He asked why and I said CHL. He said that he was the one and asked for my CHL and drivers licenses. He then told me to proceed to the police officer in the elevated stand to which I showed my licenses. The officer said have a nice day.
I might have asked him to prove he was a police officer.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Do you mean the guy with the wand asked to see you DL and CHL? I would only show those to the LEO under these circumstances, but that's me. I don't think the folks wanding people at the State Fair need to see those or have a reason to see them.

One of these times I just might try not saying anything before being wanded just to see if they would catch it or not. Hey, I have one of those ceramic Glocks that can't be detected. :biggrinjester:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”