Private Employer 30.07 Parking Lot

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
locke_n_load
Posts in topic: 2

Private Employer 30.07 Parking Lot

Post by locke_n_load »

So I know that you can legally carry your weapon on your person, concealed, onto an employer's parking lot posted with 30.06 in your vehicle due to the MPA, and leave it stored there while at work due to the parking lot bill.
However, if your employer posts 30.07, and you are OCing while in your vehicle, are you technically breaking the law?
I know they state entry onto the property is per 30.05 b, which is not very helpful.

I plan on OCing on my way to/from work, and don't want to be in a position to somehow be prosecuted, as dumb as it would be.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Ark03
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Private Employer 30.07 Parking Lot

Post by Ark03 »

Unless your place of work falls under the exclusions in the law, you should still be OK to leave your firearm in a locked privately owned vehicle in the parking lot under SB 321.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2011083 ... otection-b

Edit: sorry, I missed the point of your question when I first read it. I still think you'd be OK, but if they have a controlled point of entry where someone is sticking his head in the vehicle and sees it, I can see your concern. I don't think the current laws on the books answer that question, but others here may have an idea.

twjones

Post by twjones »

The way I understand it is from a legal stand point you're ok; however, if your employer's policy is no guns on their property then you can still be fired for violating that policy (no charges may be filed though).

Is this correct or am I off base? Thank you.

goose

Post by goose »

The biggest issue here, IMO, is that there are no penalties for an employer letting staff go for having firearms at work. You are protected from prosecution. You are not protected from being let go if they don't like your firearm. I would be very careful and tread very lightly unless you are confident that you know your employer and they are pro carry.

Edited. Got beat to the punch. :-)
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

jrene

Post by jrene »

You cannot be fired for locking your legally carried firearm in your car in the employer's parking lot. The employer can prohibit you from bringing your gun onto the premises of their property (e.g., building). Good article here: http://txconcealedcarry.com/your-employ ... hl-rights/

goose

Post by goose »

jrene wrote:You cannot be fired for locking your legally carried firearm in your car in the employer's parking lot. The employer can prohibit you from bringing your gun onto the premises of their property (e.g., building). Good article here: http://txconcealedcarry.com/your-employ ... hl-rights/
What is the penalty if they choose to? I know of none. The last time I conversed with Charles in a thread about this, he knew of none.
Conversely, can you show protections we are given to protect against being let go for this reason?
And finally, this is a perfect example of why 'concealed means concealed.' I have no need to advertise if I were or were not going to have a firearm in my car. Even if there were protections, a smart employer that was anti-carry would see the open carrier locking the firearm in a car and let them go for cause, or moving in a different direction, or downsizing, etc, etc.
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

You are correct, goose. CHLers are not a protected class, and since Texas is an "at will" work state you can be fired for no reason at all.

My question for the OP is why would even bother to OC on the way to work, if you are going to have to disarm anyway (unless you maybe had a planned stop)? I work at a University, and just leave it in the car since I know I will have to disarm upon arrival. Just seems like a lot of bother. MO.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Topic author
locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

To everyone about being concealed, yes I know I'm protected and can store in my vehicle. That is not the question.
oohrah wrote:You are correct, goose. CHLers are not a protected class, and since Texas is an "at will" work state you can be fired for no reason at all.

My question for the OP is why would even bother to OC on the way to work, if you are going to have to disarm anyway (unless you maybe had a planned stop)? I work at a University, and just leave it in the car since I know I will have to disarm upon arrival. Just seems like a lot of bother. MO.
For me, carrying on my person is the safest way and the fastest way to acquire my weapon if the need arises. I usually leave my weapon in my vehicle at home (I have a console safe), so when I get in in the morning, I have to unbuckle my pants and work to get my IWB on. Then at work, repeat the process to remove and put in safe. Repeat going home. I get lazy sometimes and just leave it in the console during my drive, and there is not a quick way to grab it, which defeats the purpose of being able to have it.

I plan to use an OWB paddle holster and OC to make the process a lot easier and actually carry on my person more often. Then once I'm parked at work, I plan on locking in my console safe.

My company is moving to a new location in march of next year, and we will have gated security, hopefully on the driver's side (I carry right side). My company has stated that leaving weapons in locked personal vehicles is ok, but I know carry on premise is not allowed.

Edit: Conversely, I guess I could always arm/disarm in the driveway before I get to the security gate and hold up some traffic lol.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”