Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

roadkill
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Carrying your license to carry

Post by roadkill »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:09 pm
Soccerdad1995 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:20 pm
Caliber wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:12 pm
Maxwell wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:03 pm The 4 things I always have in a traffic stop are: My DL, my LTC, my auto insurance card, and a little patience and respect for the LEO.

I forgot my wallet once while carrying. As soon as I realized it I took the holster off and put everything in the console.

Like others have suggested I carry my DL & LTC (and insurance card) in the same place in my wallet. I can't pull one out without the other.
You did not have to put the gun in your console. You can have it anywhere inside the vehicle including on your person as long as it's not in plain view.
I think this gets back to the question of whether you are always carrying under the authority of your LTC, even when you can legally carry under other authority such as the MPA.
The only time you are carrying under the authority of your LTC is when carrying in that location would be illegal without an LTC. You are not carrying under the authority of your LTC when you are in your car or one under your control.

Chas.
With the exception of open carry.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Abraham »

Sorry officer, I left it at home.

Are you an adult?

No, sorry, while none of us is perfect, I think maybe 25/30 years ago I left home without my...fill in the blank.

This type thing should only happen...but rarely.

Don T

Post by Don T »

lildave40 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:29 pm By a wallet that can hold to ids separate. Problem solved
My cell phone case has a slot on the back with just enough room for my TDL, LTC, debit or credit card, and insurance info. I've found that I am much less likely to go anywhere without my phone.

bigtek
Banned

Post by bigtek »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:02 pm The black letter law requires the LTC to be on your person when you are carrying under the authority of your license. (TPC §46.15(b)(6)) As a practical matter, I can't imagine any LEO making an arrest when they can run your TDL and confirm you have an LTC. If an arrest was made, then only a dirtbag DA would accept the charges.
I have no difficulty believing some LEO would arrest LTC for this technical violation of the law. After all, there are ample examples of LEO threatening to arrest LTC if they carry at events at public parks, and so on, despite the clear, unambiguous exception in 30.06(e) and 30.07(e) for government property, regardless who manages the government owned property. If they will threaten arrest, or (under color of law) deny access to, LTC who are in full compliance with the law, it's hard to imagine they wouldn't jump at the opportunity to bust LTC who technically aren't.
Deck the halls with nitroglycerin
Fa la la la la la la la la!
Strike a match and see who's missin'
Fa la la la la la la la la!

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

roadkill wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:23 pm
Maxwell wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:03 pm The 4 things I always have in a traffic stop are: My DL, my LTC, my auto insurance card, and a little patience and respect for the LEO.

I forgot my wallet once while carrying. As soon as I realized it I took the holster off and put everything in the console.

Like others have suggested I carry my DL & LTC (and insurance card) in the same place in my wallet. I can't pull one out without the other.
You did not have to put the gun in your console. You can have it anywhere inside the vehicle including on your person as long as it's not in plain view.
I think this gets back to the question of whether you are always carrying under the authority of your LTC, even when you can legally carry under other authority such as the MPA.
The only time you are carrying under the authority of your LTC is when carrying in that location would be illegal without an LTC. You are not carrying under the authority of your LTC when you are in your car or one under your control.

Chas.
I realize that this is a quirk that only a lawyer could love, but you are not carrying under the authority of your LTC when you open-carry in your car. Licensees are simply exempt from the concealment requirement while in your car.

Chas.

Maxwell
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Maxwell »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:24 pm

Chas.
I realize that this is a quirk that only a lawyer could love, but you are not carrying under the authority of your LTC when you open-carry in your car. Licensees are simply exempt from the concealment requirement while in your car.

Chas.
Wait, do you mean that as an LTC it is legal to have my pistol on the seat beside me NOT concealed in any manner?
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

roadkill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by roadkill »

Chas.

Chas.
So let em get this correct. A non license holder can open carry in their car? It is my understanding that the gun has to remain concealed for the MPA to apply.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Maxwell wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:45 pm Wait, do you mean that as an LTC it is legal to have my pistol on the seat beside me NOT concealed in any manner?
Nope. You jumped the shark there.

If you have an LTC, you don't have to conceal it if it's in a belt or shoulder holster.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

roadkill wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:33 pm

Chas.

Chas.
So let em get this correct. A non license holder can open carry in their car?
No.

Chas.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Charles,

That brings up a follow on question only a lawyer or an English major could love:

If you open carry in your car, couldn't it be argued that you are effectively carrying under your LTC because you can't legally do so without one, but you would not be carrying under LTC in the same circumstance if the gun is concealed because you can do so without an LTC?
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I have, perhaps 4 or 5 times in the last 10 years, accidentally left home without my wallet or phone. In most cases, I was leaving the house on my own, very early in the morning to get to church for a Sunday morning band rehearsal before services start, and I simply borrowed a friend’s phone to call my wife and ask her to bring my ID and phone when she comes to church. Otherwise, as soon as I discovered the issue - not long after leaving home - I turned around, went home, and got it.

For the past 3.5 years, I’ve owned a vehicle whose software automatically pairs to my phone when I start the car, and my music mix from my phone automatically begins playing on the car stereo. So it’s not likely that I’ll pull out of the driveway without it.....because I likes me music when I’m driving, and I don’t listen to radio anymore, and so “radio” isn’t selected on my sound system. Ergo, if I start the car, and I don’t hear music, then I’ve left my phone in the house, and I go get it.....which means that I automatically check my pockets for my wallet, knife, and house keys too while I’m at it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

(Rant begin) :grumble
I can't believe the number of people that come into our store that "forgot" their wallets ! Want to write a check and have no ID! One recently, open carrying, had left his wallet/IDs at his shop. Others leave their wallets/money clips in the vehicle, which is running in the parking lot, then bring it in, 3 inches thick with hundreds of $ cash showing! Meantime other customers wanting to check out have to wait.
(rant over)

My 20 years in the military taught me that I had to have my ID any time I was outside my personal quarters. I keep my wallet thin so it's easy to carry and on me at all times. If I get stopped I don't want to have to make excuses. I want things to go as smooth as possible and not have to depend on the officer to be in a good mood.
N5PNZ

Mel

Post by Mel »

2farnorth wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:46 am (Rant begin) :grumble
I can't believe the number of people that come into our store that "forgot" their wallets !
I can't believe the number of people that leave home without their wallet! I'll soon be turning 76 years young and I can't remember ever forgetting my wallet. My car keys, pocket knife, change, wallet, comb, handkerchief, and phone all reside in the same cabinet. When I leave, I load up everything at the same time.
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

My wallets thin automatically. I put everything i need to carry in my pants pockets the night before. The only thing i sometimes forget is my cell phone since it sits on the table in case i need to use it during the day.

Maxwell
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Maxwell »

Pawpaw wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:35 pm
Maxwell wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:45 pm Wait, do you mean that as an LTC it is legal to have my pistol on the seat beside me NOT concealed in any manner?
Nope. You jumped the shark there.

If you have an LTC, you don't have to conceal it if it's in a belt or shoulder holster.
Well, it is in my holster on the passenger seat, does that count...? :evil2:
:leaving
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”