Signage dilemma

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 1

Signage dilemma

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I went to a local Mod pizza location yesterday for lunch. I noticed a big 51% sign posted right next to the door. Anyone familiar with this restaurant chain knows that there is zero possibility that they actually get over half their revenue from sales of alcohol for on-premise consumption, so I knew the sign was bogus, but verified it anyway with the TABC app (confirmed that "sign = blue").

So here's my dilemma. I know that its usually best to just keep my mouth shut when I see a non-compliant gun sign since the owner / manager is likely under the misconception that the sign is enforceable and if told otherwise, they may put up actual compliant signs (in this case a total of 6 signs covering 30.05, 30.06, 30.07 in both English and Spanish). But I'm also thinking that new gun owners (especially non-LTC holders) may not know to check the validity of a 51% sign, so the sign might improperly keep those folks from exercising their civil rights. Then again, these same people may not even know what a 51% sign is, so there's also that.....

One additional factor is that Mod pizza originated in Austin, I believe and there's a higher than normal probability that the owners actually are anti-gun.

So what say y'all? Report them to TABC, have a chat with the store manager, or just say nothing and keep carrying concealed when I go there?

Caliber

Re: Signage dilemma

Post by Caliber »

Just my opinion, but I would do the right thing. I would first have a conversation with the manager. If that didn't work, I would report them to TABC.

seph

Post by seph »

Being a chain restaurant, the manager will do nothing if you talk to them. I would just report it to the TABC. The new guy owners (non LTC holders) should still know the laws. If they don't, they would have no clue what the 51% sign is anyway.
Let's go Brandon! "rlol"

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Never try to teach a pig to sing; you're doomed to failure, and it annoys the pig.

Quietly dime them out to TABC, and move on....would be my vote. :thumbs2:
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

I’ve gotten a 51% sign removed. Owner of the restaurant didn’t know the difference between a TABC blue and red. It was promptly removed when I inquired why it was there and then explained the difference. This was a place that I had been coming to for years so I was surprised when I walked in one day to see it sitting in the window.

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

Advice that has been given here before is to contact TABC stating you feel the establishment is posting the wrong sign. You don't need to tell them you're an LTC or go into the 2nd amendment. TABC will take it from there and the issue should be remedied promptly.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Acronym Esq

Post by Acronym Esq »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:27 pmI know that its usually best to just keep my mouth shut when I see a non-compliant gun sign since the owner / manager is likely under the misconception that the sign is enforceable and if told otherwise, they may put up actual compliant signs (in this case a total of 6 signs covering 30.05, 30.06, 30.07 in both English and Spanish).
I wrote to the owner of my neighborhood shop and explained that the 30.06 sign bans good guys who most likely won't tell him why they stopped returning. He actually called me back. Apparently someone came into the shop and gave him the door stickers telling him that they were required by statute to keep guns out of his store. Keeping guns out sounded good to him, so he just put the signs up. He thanked me for explaining the difference between a gun buster and 30.06. Now he only has a gun buster on the door.

IMHO, the path forward should be determined by your level of interest, not their level of ignorance.

acronym 1/13/2022 9:25 AM

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

Acronym Esq wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:29 am
Soccerdad1995 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:27 pmI know that its usually best to just keep my mouth shut when I see a non-compliant gun sign since the owner / manager is likely under the misconception that the sign is enforceable and if told otherwise, they may put up actual compliant signs (in this case a total of 6 signs covering 30.05, 30.06, 30.07 in both English and Spanish).
I wrote to the owner of my neighborhood shop and explained that the 30.06 sign bans good guys who most likely won't tell him why they stopped returning. He actually called me back. Apparently someone came into the shop and gave him the door stickers telling him that they were required by statute to keep guns out of his store. Keeping guns out sounded good to him, so he just put the signs up. He thanked me for explaining the difference between a gun buster and 30.06. Now he only has a gun buster on the door.

IMHO, the path forward should be determined by your level of interest, not their level of ignorance.

acronym 1/13/2022 9:25 AM
So the shop owner thinks door stickers are going to keep bad guys out?

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”