Fed Court Ruling: Texas law prohibiting 18-20 LTC violoates 2A

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

oohrah
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Fed Court Ruling: Texas law prohibiting 18-20 LTC violoates 2A

Post by oohrah »

clarionite wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:31 pm If this stands, I wonder how it will effect our reciprocity agreements with other states? If I remember correctly, the inclusion of active duty under the age of 21 threw a monkey wrench in reciprocity in the past.
I don't think it will change the status of current agreements (or not) since Texas already allows some under 21 to get an LTC. Adding more to mix won't change that.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://www.insider.com/illegal-anyone- ... ork-2022-8

Illegal for under 21 to buy Redi whip whipped cream in New York.

Irony?

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

clarionite wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:31 pm If this stands, I wonder how it will effect our reciprocity agreements with other states? If I remember correctly, the inclusion of active duty under the age of 21 threw a monkey wrench in reciprocity in the past.
For the moment, I would think that it shouldn’t have any effect at all. Reciprocity is a feature of licensure, not of Constitutional Carry. My understanding is that this ruling only affects Constitutional Carry, not the issuance of LTCs.

Armed Attorneys on YouTube put out a video about it:

They pointed out that there are several options the state can pursue to bring Constitutional Carry into compliance with Bruen, while still placing some restrictions on permitless carry for 18-20 yr olds. I’m not saying there should be any restrictions…just that there’s options that may be able to satisfy Bruen while not messing with reciprocity.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Paladin
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Paladin »

Some great info in that video! Like they say at the end, this is the canary in the coalmine. There are a lot of other bogus laws that will also be struck down.

I don't know what the political winds are, but my guess is that the LTC age will be lowered to 18 for everyone. I'm good with that. There are plenty of 18-20year olds that out shoot their elders. Will be interesting what actually happens with CC.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Vol Texan »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:04 pm
For the moment, I would think that it shouldn’t have any effect at all. Reciprocity is a feature of licensure, not of Constitutional Carry. My understanding is that this ruling only affects Constitutional Carry, not the issuance of LTCs.

They pointed out that there are several options the state can pursue to bring Constitutional Carry into compliance with Bruen, while still placing some restrictions on permitless carry for 18-20 yr olds. I’m not saying there should be any restrictions…just that there’s options that may be able to satisfy Bruen while not messing with reciprocity.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had to study the ruling to get a basic understanding, but I think you might be missing part of this, TAM.

On the next-to-last page it says:
Accordingly, the Court ORDERS that:
1. To the extent that Texas’s statutory scheme, TEX . PENAL CODE § 46.02(a) and TEX . GOV’T CODE §§ 411.172(a)(2), (g), (h), (i), prohibits law-abiding 18-to-20-year-olds from carrying handguns for self-defense outside the home based solely on their age, this statutory scheme violates the Second Amendment, as incorporated against the States via the Fourteenth Amendment.
This paragraph references two statutes:
  • PC § 46.02(a) - this one does explain that you need to be 21 for permit-less carry
  • GC §§ 411.172(a)(2), (g), (h), (i) - but this one explains the age requirements for a License to Carry
Given that this ruling specifically mentions both statutes, I do believe it covers both methods of carry in Texas, and expands both to cover 18-20 year olds.
However, I'm not a lawyer, and I welcome any of the better educated folks here to correct me if I'm wrong.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Vol Texan, I agree with you. I thought it was only constitutional carry at first too... apparently the decision affects both... but apparently there is room for Texas law to be changed to only allow one or the other.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member

TxRVer

Post by TxRVer »

I never understood why military personnel under 21 could carry but civilians could not. I don't know if it's changed any but in the 70s, the Air Force gave me no training or experience with handguns. I had two days of training with the AR-15, but was no better prepared to carry a handgun than a civilian 18 to 20.
Charlie

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

TxRVer wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:40 am I never understood why military personnel under 21 could carry but civilians could not. I don't know if it's changed any but in the 70s, the Air Force gave me no training or experience with handguns. I had two days of training with the AR-15, but was no better prepared to carry a handgun than a civilian 18 to 20.
There is an effort underway to provide more handgun training in the army, but until then its more safety and rifle marksmanship.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

I believe this is not an LTC ruling, rather, an unlicensed carry ruling.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

RoyGBiv wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:35 pm I believe this is not an LTC ruling, rather, an unlicensed carry ruling.

Reposted from above:

On the next-to-last page it says:
Accordingly, the Court ORDERS that:
1. To the extent that Texas’s statutory scheme, TEX . PENAL CODE § 46.02(a) and TEX . GOV’T CODE §§ 411.172(a)(2), (g), (h), (i), prohibits law-abiding 18-to-20-year-olds from carrying handguns for self-defense outside the home based solely on their age, this statutory scheme violates the Second Amendment, as incorporated against the States via the Fourteenth Amendment.
This paragraph references two statutes:
  • PC § 46.02(a) - this one does explain that you need to be 21 for permit-less carry
  • GC §§ 411.172(a)(2), (g), (h), (i) - but this one explains the age requirements for a License to Carry
Given that this ruling specifically mentions both statutes, I do believe it covers both methods of carry in Texas, and expands both to cover 18-20 year olds.
However, I'm not a lawyer, and I welcome any of the better educated folks here to correct me if I'm wrong.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

philip964 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:11 pm https://www.insider.com/illegal-anyone- ... ork-2022-8

Irony?
I didn't even know those things existed. I mostly just buy the tub or rarely the can, but what uses those things?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

puma guy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by puma guy »

philip964 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:11 pm https://www.insider.com/illegal-anyone- ... ork-2022-8

Irony?
Guess they'll have to switch to heroin, so they can get free syringes.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
rtschl
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rtschl »

The State of Texas has decided to appeal this ruling:

On Tuesday evening, Director Steven McCraw of the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) filed his notice of appeal to the U.S. Fifth Circuit Court. Shortly after the district court’s ruling was issued, comments by Gov. Greg Abbott indicated the governor was not keen on challenging the ruling.

https://thetexan.news/texas-dps-appeals ... -handguns/
Ron
NRA Member

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

puma guy wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:53 pm

Irony?
Guess they'll have to switch to heroin, so they can get free syringes.
Nitrous oxide…like at the dentist… is the propellant in the canned whipped cream.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

rtschl wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:18 pm The State of Texas has decided to appeal this ruling:

On Tuesday evening, Director Steven McCraw of the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) filed his notice of appeal to the U.S. Fifth Circuit Court. Shortly after the district court’s ruling was issued, comments by Gov. Greg Abbott indicated the governor was not keen on challenging the ruling.

https://thetexan.news/texas-dps-appeals ... -handguns/
I might get some flack on here for this, but I WANT Texas to appeal this. (Full disclosure, I hope Texas loses, but I still want Texas to appeal).

Here's my reasoning: According to the AG's website, the Texas Attorney General is responsible for"<snip> Defending the State of Texas and its duly enacted laws by providing legal representation to the State...<snip>. I don't want a situation where he picks and/or chooses which Texas laws he defends. Rather, I want him to defend all of them.

This AG might like or dislike a certain law with the same preferences as I do, but that's not important. The next one may not, and I still want that next AG to defend my preferred with the same vigor, irrespective of whether he/she likes that particular law or not. Liking a law isn't in the job description. Defending it is.

So yes, AG Paxton should defend our law. I hope he loses, but I hope he defends it.

As for the DPS filing the appeal? I don't know how the legal mechanisms work in the courts, but I'd just as soon they keep their political opinions out of it. Perhaps it's necessary for them to file the appeal for the AG to do his job (I truly have no idea, just thinking out loud here). If that's the case, then OK, but if AG Paxton can defend the law irrespective of what they do, then I would prefer they keep their opinions to themselves. I see DPS' job as enforcement of the laws, not using their biases to drive whether laws should or should not be in place.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”