CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Liberty
Posts in topic: 9

Re: LTC individual has ND at Houston Galleria

Post by Liberty »

goose wrote:
Liberty wrote:
bayou wrote:Questioning the safety of a round in the chamber has been discussed on this site to the point of :deadhorse: If you don't think its safe --don't do it, but please don't question others personal decision. Failing to secure the firearm properly was the issue.
Actually, I believe it does.
Most of us wouldn't consider carrying while unloaded. but carrying a handgun in a back pack is transporting it. You wouldn't ship a gun loaded or transport to the hunt lease a hunting rifle loaded. Carrying a weapon in a back pack isn't really the same as packing a concealed weapon for protection.
Does that apply to purses or the many carry satchels? Or does there need to be some version of a "quick draw" built into it? Just curious where you would draw the line.
Where I draw the line is actually irrelevant. My thought though is that a back pack involves removing the back pack, opening the back pack finding the weapon before actually drawing. I actually carry a gun in a back pack fairly often. I do this when traveling. but:

1: It's a beretta P92. It is holstered but loaded.
2: I am packing my EDC on my hip.

I have complete confidence in the drop proofness of it, I have a manual safety enabled, the hammer is uncocked and I'm not relying on it for my safety at the time, I am transporting it from my vehicle to a hotel room.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

goose
Posts in topic: 5

Post by goose »

Liberty wrote:
goose wrote:
Liberty wrote:
Actually, I believe it does.Most of us wouldn't consider carrying while unloaded. but carrying a handgun in a back pack is transporting it. You wouldn't ship a gun loaded or transport to the hunt lease a hunting rifle loaded. Carrying a weapon in a back pack isn't really the same as packing a concealed weapon for protection.
Does that apply to purses or the many carry satchels? Or does there need to be some version of a "quick draw" built into it? Just curious where you would draw the line.
Where I draw the line is actually irrelevant.
I was asking about when you viewed a person as carrying (assuming a purse would be considered carrying for most) vs. transporting (your description of the backpack). That was the relevance. No worries. I was just curious not trying to debate.
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 1

Post by bblhd672 »

I carry my handgun in a backpack every day, when I am unable to wear it on my belt. But it is ALWAYS either in its holster or in a soft pistol case.

The fear of a ND is why I insist on buying pistols with manual safeties. Yes, I realize that manual safeties can not work correctly but it just gives me a bit more peace about having a loaded chamber striker pistol.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

bblhd672 wrote:I carry my handgun in a backpack every day, when I am unable to wear it on my belt. But it is ALWAYS either in its holster or in a soft pistol case.

The fear of a ND is why I insist on buying pistols with manual safeties. Yes, I realize that manual safeties can not work correctly but it just gives me a bit more peace about having a loaded chamber striker pistol.
"... more peace about having a loaded chamber striker pistol." That is the main point, I feel; whatever works best for you.

In my DA/SA semi-auto, hammer-fired 9mm, I carry a round in the chamber with the manual safety off. Works best for me.

As with most things in life, it comes down to which risks we are willing to manage and which benefits matter most.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

rotor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rotor »

The "it' can't fire from a fall" is ridiculous. I sent a Taurus back and they issued a new gun because it can fire with a fall and that was a pistol and not a revolver. Not enough info here to determine the problem. Did the gun fall out of the backpack, hit the ground and go off or did it go off in a backpack that fell? Women carry in purses all the time and I don't know if they carry in a holster in a purse or how the gun is secured. Since there is not enough info I don't know if this really is a ND or a defective gun.

Acronym Esq

Post by Acronym Esq »

philip964 wrote:Near as I can tell his gun fell from his back pack and discharged in the Galleria shopping mall in Houston.
Obviously, this has not done the rest of us any favors.
The Galleria itself is a nice place. Bright lights. Lots of well dressed people. Shiny stores. Sounds of children laughing and people talking. Wafting smells of chocolate, perfume, candles, and fried delights.

The parking lots are terrifying. They are dark mazes expanding from the surface underground. Little security. Dirty people who don't look like they own cars wander through. It smells of car fumes and pee. There is trash from people eating or performing hygienic tasks like empty deodorant, used toothbrushes, and full diapers. Theft, burglary, robbery, assault, rape, murder all happen with regularity in the mile surrounding the area and occasionally in the parking lot itself.

It's a great example of a place where you wouldn't expect to need a gun, except for the 30 yards between the building and your car.

I would hate to see a knee jerk regulatory reaction to a single ND.

I have enjoyed all the speculation as to why the ND happened. It is incredibly unlikely that a modern hand gun discharged after being dropped. My suspicion is that the gun was being played with. The backpack story is what you tell the police rather than admitting to being criminally negligent. I look forward to learning the real reason.

Acronym 2/3/2017 11:53 AM

rotor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rotor »

Acronym Esq wrote:
philip964 wrote:Near as I can tell his gun fell from his back pack and discharged in the Galleria shopping mall in Houston.
The Galleria itself is a nice place. Bright lights. Lots of well dressed people. Shiny stores. Sounds of children laughing and people talking. Wafting smells of chocolate, perfume, candles, and fried delights.

The parking lots are terrifying. They are dark mazes expanding from the surface underground. Little security. Dirty people who don't look like they own cars wander through. It smells of car fumes and pee. There is trash from people eating or performing hygienic tasks like empty deodorant, used toothbrushes, and full diapers. Theft, burglary, robbery, assault, rape, murder all happen with regularity in the mile surrounding the area and occasionally in the parking lot itself.

It's a great example of a place where you wouldn't expect to need a gun, except for the 30 yards between the building and your car.

I have enjoyed all the speculation as to why the ND happened. It is incredibly unlikely that a modern hand gun discharged after being dropped. My suspicion is that the gun was being played with. The backpack story is what you tell the police rather than admitting to being criminally negligent. I look forward to learning the real reason.

Galleria parking lot sounds like a fun place.

You obviously have never owned a Taurus.
https://www.tauruscartersettlement.com/

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Skiprr »

Acronym Esq wrote:
The Galleria itself is a nice place.... The parking lots are terrifying.... It's a great example of a place where you wouldn't expect to need a gun, except for the 30 yards between the building and your car.
:iagree: Except that, if you're forced to park at the far corner of one of the indoor garage levels, your walk could easily be 80 yards getting to a building elevator...and it ain't like those elevator (or, heaven forbid, stairway) cubbyholes are places you want to be cornered in at 10:00 p.m., either.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Skiprr wrote:
Acronym Esq wrote:
The Galleria itself is a nice place.... The parking lots are terrifying.... It's a great example of a place where you wouldn't expect to need a gun, except for the 30 yards between the building and your car.
:iagree: Except that, if you're forced to park at the far corner of one of the indoor garage levels, your walk could easily be 80 yards getting to a building elevator...and it ain't like those elevator (or, heaven forbid, stairway) cubbyholes are places you want to be cornered in at 10:00 p.m., either.
Park on the surface level. It's worth the seven bucks. Or across the street at the Dillards.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Acronym Esq wrote:

If we assume that the report the gun discharged when the backpack was dropped is true, it is very possible and even likely that the cause was another object inside the backpack moving into the unprotected trigger guard and depressing the trigger with the inertial energy from the drop. There are any number of instances where this has happened before.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:Park on the surface level. It's worth the seven bucks. Or across the street at the Dillards.
Yep. When that's practical.

I'd say 95% of my visits to the Galleria in the past several years have been only to go the Galleria Athletic & Tennis Club, gear bag in hand and often staying until after many stores have closed. The only reasonable way of getting to the club without hiking for a mile, almost literally, is to park on the top couple of levels in the Orange garage; the only entrance to the club is on L3 in that garage.

Otherwise, I pretty much skip the Galleria as a destination. :mrgreen:
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Whenever I carry a pistol in my backpack, which I sometimes do, I leave it in a holster that covers the trigger. I also leave the safety on if the gun has one. I don't own any striker fired pistols, but if I did I would not carry them in my backpack.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

jmra wrote:How many makes of modern firearms will discharge from an impact without the trigger being pulled?
Interestingly, the original Ruger LCP had a nasty habit of discharging when dropped. Ruger fixed it, but if you buy a used one, be sure and check the serial number against the recall. Just my 2c.

Oh yes, and that guy was stupid.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Acronym Esq wrote:....I have enjoyed all the speculation as to why the ND happened. It is incredibly unlikely that a modern hand gun discharged after being dropped. My suspicion is that the gun was being played with. The backpack story is what you tell the police rather than admitting to being criminally negligent. I look forward to learning the real reason.

This.

Unless it was witnessed by store employees or on camera, I'd be very suspicious of the ol 'it dropped and went off' excuse.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Liberty
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Liberty »

Scott B. wrote:
Acronym Esq wrote:....I have enjoyed all the speculation as to why the ND happened. It is incredibly unlikely that a modern hand gun discharged after being dropped. My suspicion is that the gun was being played with. The backpack story is what you tell the police rather than admitting to being criminally negligent. I look forward to learning the real reason.

This.

Unless it was witnessed by store employees or on camera, I'd be very suspicious of the ol 'it dropped and went off' excuse.
The exit hole in the backpack might be a good indicator.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”