Constitutional Carry

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

extremist
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Constitutional Carry

Post by extremist »

I taught many a student that hadn't shot their gun before and were clearly not proficient. However I worked with them and made them able to pass the test, typically with a .22 instead of their Glock 42 or S&W Snubby. The requirements from the state were met and recommendations made to become more more proficient by getting training.

My opinion, we need Constitutional Carry now. People need to be responsible gun owners. That's it. We also need enhanced carry like Mississippi where those of us with additional training can carry just like law enforcement- EVERYWHERE.
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 2

Post by crazy2medic »

extremist wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:31 am I taught many a student that hadn't shot their gun before and were clearly not proficient. However I worked with them and made them able to pass the test, typically with a .22 instead of their Glock 42 or S&W Snubby. The requirements from the state were met and recommendations made to become more more proficient by getting training.

My opinion, we need Constitutional Carry now. People need to be responsible gun owners. That's it. We also need enhanced carry like Mississippi where those of us with additional training can carry just like law enforcement- EVERYWHERE.
:thumbs2:
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

extremist wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:31 am I taught many a student that hadn't shot their gun before and were clearly not proficient. However I worked with them and made them able to pass the test, typically with a .22 instead of their Glock 42 or S&W Snubby. The requirements from the state were met and recommendations made to become more more proficient by getting training.

Bada Bing Bada Boom! :iagree:
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RoyGBiv »

oljames3 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:35 pm
tommyg wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:56 am There are several bills that would allow permit less carry. This is disturbing
there are a lot of people out there that would carry even though they have never fired a gun before.
I take a class occasionally as a refresher. There is always somebody that has no idea of how to use a gun.
I have seen them with the wrong ammunition for a new in the box gun . I saw one candidate reading an
owners manual during the class. These types if carrying are a danger for themselves and those around them.

[PASS WITH CARE and at least need to have proof that they have taken
and passed a basic firearms safety class that includes live fire to carry
Not only no, but hell no. I do not feel the government has the capability to define minimum competency for handgun use. There are many more good reasons why the government must not infringe on the right of the people to keep and bear arms.
I'm with James.

:patriot:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Paladin
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Paladin »

LTC training is a minimum standard. Right now lots and lots of people are moving to Texas and buying guns for the first time. Some have exactly zero experience with firearms and have never touched or shot a firearm or handgun before. Some of these inexperienced individuals want to carry. I would say that I would be uncomfortable with a person carrying a pistol around who can not meet the LTC shooting and written test standard. Does that mean that I agree with the state mandated minimum age of 21? No. Does that mean I think it should cost, what it cost me 20 years ago to get a CHL ($250)? No. Does that mean I think they should go to jail for exercising their constitutional rights? No.

With the hard work and dedication of many on this website the Texas License to Carry system has improved substantially over the years. Costs are down. Licenses can be renewed for 5 years, instead of 4. You can now get trained in under a day, with no training for renewal.

My hats off to the patriots who made that happen!!! :tiphat:

I believe strongly that it is a duty of the government to provide basic firearms safety, marksmanship, and lawful use of force to citizens. Having arms and knowing how and when to use them separates citizens from subjects. Right now the LTC system is the best thing we have. I'm certain there are great ideas out there to chart a path forward. Ultimately decriminalizing constitutional carry is an important goal, but the truth is that right now the numbers are pretty crazy:

Estimate: Unintentional shootings up 19%...Gun Murders Up 31% in 2020 Over 2019

Accidental shootings had been falling for years... but the current unintentional shootings show that more training is needed to bring new gun owners up to speed.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

extremist
Posts in topic: 7

Post by extremist »

Paladin wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:34 pm LTC training is a minimum standard. Right now lots and lots of people are moving to Texas and buying guns for the first time. Some have exactly zero experience with firearms and have never touched or shot a firearm or handgun before. Some of these inexperienced individuals want to carry. I would say that I would be uncomfortable with a person carrying a pistol around who can not meet the LTC shooting and written test standard. Does that mean that I agree with the state mandated minimum age of 21? No. Does that mean I think it should cost, what it cost me 20 years ago to get a CHL ($250)? No. Does that mean I think they should go to jail for exercising their constitutional rights? No.

With the hard work and dedication of many on this website the Texas License to Carry system has improved substantially over the years. Costs are down. Licenses can be renewed for 5 years, instead of 4. You can now get trained in under a day, with no training for renewal.

My hats off to the patriots who made that happen!!! :tiphat:

I believe strongly that it is a duty of the government to provide basic firearms safety, marksmanship, and lawful use of force to citizens. Having arms and knowing how and when to use them separates citizens from subjects. Right now the LTC system is the best thing we have. I'm certain there are great ideas out there to chart a path forward. Ultimately decriminalizing constitutional carry is an important goal, but the truth is that right now the numbers are pretty crazy:

Estimate: Unintentional shootings up 19%...Gun Murders Up 31% in 2020 Over 2019

Accidental shootings had been falling for years... but the current unintentional shootings show that more training is needed to bring new gun owners up to speed.
You have the right to feel uncomfortable about how citizens exercise their Constitutional rights. But should that restrict them? NO. Can you imagine the founding fathers spinning in their graves after hearing your statement that it is the duty of GOVERNMENT to provide basic firearms safety and marksmanship etc.? Wow. 🤔 I dont think that is what the 2nd Amendment says. Checking....NO.

I'm rather disappointed that some here feel Texans are more unworthy of Constitutional Carry than a large portion of our fellow free states.
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

extremist wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:46 pm You have the right to feel uncomfortable about how citizens exercise their Constitutional rights. But should that restrict them? NO. Can you imagine the founding fathers spinning in their graves after hearing your statement that it is the duty of GOVERNMENT to provide basic firearms safety and marksmanship etc.? Wow. 🤔 I dont think that is what the 2nd Amendment says. Checking....NO.

I'm rather disappointed that some here feel Texans are more unworthy of Constitutional Carry than a large portion of our fellow free states.
:iagree: 100%

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

Boxerrider wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:33 pm If education is a concern, then it should be addressed in public schools.
Not that many of them would handle it well in reality, but it is their job to educate young folks in good citizenship.
Actually it should be addressed in the home by parents.

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

extremist wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:46 pm

You have the right to feel uncomfortable about how citizens exercise their Constitutional rights. But should that restrict them? NO. Can you imagine the founding fathers spinning in their graves after hearing your statement that it is the duty of GOVERNMENT to provide basic firearms safety and marksmanship etc.? Wow. 🤔 I dont think that is what the 2nd Amendment says. Checking....NO.

:iagree:
I’m not comfortable the way a great number of my fellow citizens exercise some of their rights, especially the 1st. But I’m not going to set my comfortable conditions on them. That’s not liberty.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

The Second Amendment is very clear, and has zero exceptions. It says “shall not be infringed” it says nothing about training, proficiency, or after passing a government mandated test. As others have stated, many other States have permitless carry, with more being added, and are not experiencing any issues.

While I am huge advocate of training, I will never be in favor of denying anyone their Constitutional rights due to not obtaining it. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

E10

Post by E10 »

Grayling813 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:05 pm Actually it should be addressed in the home by parents.
Amen! That’s how it was done in my household.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

Here is my prediction: Constitutional Carry will die in committee (again) because the House had to take up more important matters like election integrity (which will be given a token solution) and the ERCOT mess. Any takers?
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

If the children are untaught, their ignorance and vices will in future life cost us much dearer in their consequences than it would have done in their correction by a good education.
To penetrate and dissipate these clouds of darkness, the general mind must be strengthened by education.
“Those who expect to be both ignorant and free, expect what never was and never will be.”
—Thomas Jefferson

The anti-gunners are already celebrating 2020 TIME: 2020 gun violence homicides a record year

Biden Begins Gun Control Push

Ignoring current issues like an exploding rate of firearms accidents does not get us to where we want to go. It just provides more ammo to the anti's who paint moderate organizations like the NRA as extremist.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Jusme wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:11 pm The Second Amendment is very clear, and has zero exceptions. It says “shall not be infringed” it says nothing about training, proficiency, or after passing a government mandated test. As others have stated, many other States have permitless carry, with more being added, and are not experiencing any issues.

While I am huge advocate of training, I will never be in favor of denying anyone their Constitutional rights due to not obtaining it. JMHO
:iagree: This is the way.
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.”

― Thomas Jefferson
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Every Citizen Given Military Training
We must train and classify the whole of our male citizens, and make military instruction a regular part of collegiate education. We can never be safe till this is done.
--Thomas Jefferson to James Monroe, 1813. ME 13:261
"I think the truth must now be obvious that our people are too happy at home to enter into regular service, and that we cannot be defended but by making every citizen a soldier, as the Greeks and Romans who had no standing armies; and that in doing this all must be marshaled, classed by their ages, and every service ascribed to its competent class."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Wayles Eppes, 1814.

Thomas Jefferson on Politics & Government

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”