David Yamane and Gun Culture 2.0: Risk is Our Currency

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
oljames3
Posts in topic: 2

David Yamane and Gun Culture 2.0: Risk is Our Currency

Post by oljames3 »

This week I am turning my attention to Chapter 7, "Pascal's Wager and Firearms." I have been thinking about the issue of risk, risk management, and risk mitigation in connection with guns for years now. I originally posted about Pascal's Wager over 6 years ago now. What can I say? I am a slow writer.
https://gunculture2point0.wordpress.com ... ownership/
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Jusme
Posts in topic: 1

Re: David Yamane and Gun Culture 2.0: Risk is Our Currency

Post by Jusme »

oljames3 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:13 am
This week I am turning my attention to Chapter 7, "Pascal's Wager and Firearms." I have been thinking about the issue of risk, risk management, and risk mitigation in connection with guns for years now. I originally posted about Pascal's Wager over 6 years ago now. What can I say? I am a slow writer.
https://gunculture2point0.wordpress.com ... ownership/
Exactly what I tell anyone who asks why I carry. I also tell them I keep a spare tire in my vehicle, but I don’t intentionally drive over nails, broken glass etc, so that I can use it. I don’t start fires in my house to be able to use the fire extinguisher.

I think TAM said it best: “I don’t carry for the odds, I carry for the stakes”
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
oljames3
Posts in topic: 2

Re: David Yamane and Gun Culture 2.0: Risk is Our Currency

Post by oljames3 »

Jusme wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:34 am I think TAM said it best: “I don’t carry for the odds, I carry for the stakes”
Yep. TAM says he got that from TAMJr. I like to the "... not because of the chances but because of the consequences." I enjoy the consonance. ;-)
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”