What now?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
thetexan
Posts in topic: 1

What now?

Post by thetexan »

Under the new constitutional carry system will there be any use for an LTC license or LTC instructors to teach the LTC courses?

Tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

Tex1961

Re: What now?

Post by Tex1961 »

Of course there will be.

You’ll still want a LTC for.

1. Reciprocity if you want to travel out of Texas with your handgun
2. Purchase firearms without a background check
3. Want to be a responsible and actually know the laws when carrying a firearm.

I’m already working on a modified basic pistol / LTC class for those types of people. The stats show that in states who have adopted constitutional carry usually have an initial drop in CCW class but over time actually increase more than where they were. As more people realize they don’t have to go through the legal steps but now want to carry, realize they should at least get some basic training. I do feel sorry for those who’s livelihood is based on LTC training as they are going to have to scramble to try and find ways to make a living for a while.

I had a class this past weekend and the subject of CC came up. I asked my students how they feel now that they understand Texas laws as they relate to carrying a handgun VS when they first walked in the room and was the knowledge they now possess worth it. Everyone agreed that it was.

Maybe I’ll take a machinist 101 class and make MADE IN TEXAS silencers :fire

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

I’m planning to become an LTC Instructor. It’s up to us as ambassadors of our right to encourage and educate our fellow citizens who may decide to start carrying as a result of the new law.

jerry_r60

Post by jerry_r60 »

And to be able to carry past 30.05 signs that will likely pop up.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Tex1961 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 5:05 am Of course there will be.

I’m already working on a modified basic pistol / LTC class for those types of people. The stats show that in states who have adopted constitutional carry usually have an initial drop in CCW class but over time actually increase more than where they were. As more people realize they don’t have to go through the legal steps but now want to carry, realize they should at least get some basic training. I do feel sorry for those who’s livelihood is based on LTC training as they are going to have to scramble to try and find ways to make a living for a while.

I had a class this past weekend and the subject of CC came up. I asked my students how they feel now that they understand Texas laws as they relate to carrying a handgun VS when they first walked in the room and was the knowledge they now possess worth it. Everyone agreed that it was.

:txflag:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

surferdaddy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by surferdaddy »

I haven’t taught a class since covid hit and you could say that my instructing has always been more of a hobby than a means of income. I do feel for those who rely on teaching for income, they will have to adapt to survive and having been through a couple of layoffs in my time…that is not fun at all. I wish them all the best.

I agree 100% with everyones god given right of self defense but gosh I hope that those who may now decide to carry a firearm get good quality training. Some of the people I saw come through my classes kinda scared the heck out of me and I took pride in the fact that I at least gave them minimal training to keep them safe. Eventually there will be a large pool of Texas citizens who could really use the expertise of these instructors we have in our state.

Surfer
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

I will keep renewing my CHL/LTC
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

eyedoc

Post by eyedoc »

Beiruty wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:21 am I will keep renewing my CHL/LTC
Me Too.

surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

eyedoc wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:32 am
Beiruty wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:21 am I will keep renewing my CHL/LTC
Me Too.
Me Three.
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

4. Exemption for Gun Free Zones at schools.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

4. Exemption from the GFSZA in the state where the license was issued.
5. A card that you can present along with your TDL when you're pulled over that will (in general) ease some of the concerns of the LEO, because he/she knows that you've been vetted, and this will likely (in general) change the nature of the conversation you're having with said LEO. (No, the LTC is not a 'get out of jail free' card, but there is plenty of anecdotal evidence here and elsewhere that it changes the nature of the stop.)

I've had a huge uptick in classes over the past year, and a sudden downturn just recently with the impending legislation. I'm OK with that, because it's a right restored - and there will likely be an uptick in class demand soon enough anyway.

I've got a day-job outside of LTC instruction, and the classes were always just a little extra "bullet money". I'm probably going to modify my marketing tactics a bit to attract people in a different way, but I'll be just fine, I'm sure.

Since this is a "What Now?" thread, here's my approach (starting with a bit of background stage-setting):

I always tell folks that I'm not here just to 'teach them a class' - I actually want them to carry, so I'll help them break through whatever barriers they have to doing so. Getting the license has (of course) been the big barrier; but sometimes there are others, such as a spouse or significant other who is less than enthusiastic about someone close to them carrying a gun all the time.

To help with that, I invite every student to bring their significant other, free of charge, to 'audit' the course. I don't want them to sit in the back with a muzzle on - I want them front and center, actively asking questions. I find that this encourages conversation more with the other students (they ask some unique questions that others might not have), gets them more engaged, and often helps sway them over away from the dark side.

That's right, take my class for free...it doesn't cost me a bit more to have an extra person in the room creating more good discussion. After all, I don't charge for the classes, I charge for the paperwork, ya know? And besides, this ain't truly altruistic: it's a 50/50 chance that they'll see some benefits to having the license, and they'll go ahead and take the tests & pay for the course anyway.

So going forward, I'll likely expand this. If you want to carry under the authority of CC, take my class free of charge. As long as I'm teaching a (profitable) class and have available seating, I'll be happy to have you sit in. At the end of it all, there's a decent chance you'll want the license anyway, but I won't apply any pressure. What I really want is more folks who know the laws and understand the gravity of carrying a handgun with them all day long.

Some of y'all instructors may think my approach is a bit crazy, and some of y'all may want to adopt it for your own. Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing the gov sign some of these bills. All in all, it's been a mostly successful session this year.

Now for the next session in two years, I'd like to see a 'carrot' added to encourage more folks to get their LTC.
  • Let's make it such that written or oral notification can be used to block a non-licensed person from carrying on private property, but make it such that only oral notification has force of law for licensed carry.
  • And let's remove more statutorily off-limits locations.
  • And let's allow non-online instructors to teach via Zoom meetings as well.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

yep i plan to keep renewing my ltc
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Caliber

Post by Caliber »

I wonder what "no guns sign" will need to be posted for those who are not licensed? Maybe the Gov will create a new sign valid for anyone, licensed or not.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Caliber wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 2:31 pm I wonder what "no guns sign" will need to be posted for those who are not licensed? Maybe the Gov will create a new sign valid for anyone, licensed or not.
It's laid out in the new law. A 30.05 sign.
Section 30.05, Penal Code, is amended by adding
16 Subsections (c) and (d-3) and amending Subsections (d) and (f) to
17 read as follows:
18 (c) A person may provide notice that firearms are prohibited
19 on the property by posting a sign at each entrance to the property
20 that:
21 (1) includes language that is identical to or
22 substantially similar to the following: "Pursuant to Section 30. 05,
23 Penal Code (er iminal trespass), a per son may not enter this
24 property with a firearm";
25 ( 2) includes the language described by Subdivision ( 1)
26 in both English and Spanish;
27 (3) appears in contrasting colors with block letters
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

30.05, 30.06, 30.07 is alot of unsightly signage, it'll take up alot of window space and I don't think there will be alot of these put up! My Opinion
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”