A travel question

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

cmgee67
Posts in topic: 2

Re: A travel question

Post by cmgee67 »

jason812 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:50 am [quote=cmgee67 post_id=<a href="tel:1309664">1309664</a> time=<a href="tel:1623674471">1623674471</a> user_id=19249]
Woo this topic is like Glock VS 1911’s hehe. Just kidding.

Your plan sounds good. You obviously have to stop to get fuel. Buccees sounds like a good place to stop. It’s well lit and mainly big enough for your rig to pull in and out of. I would however stay away from the rest stops like others have mentioned. Those transitional spaces tend to be magnets for undesirable individuals that wonder the highways. Always make sure your stuff is locked up and travel in pairs if possible. There is strength in numbers. I hope you have a great time and have some fun! It’s a blessing that your able to go take the family like that. I would also carry extra fuel if you can. Maybe 5-10 gallons. You never know when you may run out and just that little bit could be the difference between you calling roadside assistance or not. I really like the racing gas cans you can get at Atwood’s or tractor supply. They dump a lot of fuel in a hurry. If you can also, get a couple
Of the blue water cans and fill them up for extra water. Carry a floor jack and a 4x4 block about 2ft long in case of a flat. (After being stranded on hwy 75 because my bottle jack wouldn’t go up high enough I carry that at all times). Carry a tire repair kit and also carry an air compressor if you can. Jumper cables as well. When I go somewhere for an extended trip I am a bit over cautious. Most of the time you end up helping others instead of yourself but it’s always good to be prepared. That’s part of the reason we carry right? Anyway good luck!
For a trailer, I have 1ft sections of 2x12 that were drops from building the house. Break the lug nuts loose, then I make a pyramid ramp and pull the good tire on the pyramid to lift the bad tire to change. Normally I do this to grease the bearings but last November I used this practice to change a flat on the side of the road. It is much faster and safer than a jack. I don't mess with jacks on a trailer. I also use these to park on when setting up to make sure I'm level side to side.
[/quote]

That’s a pretty good idea!

powerboatr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by powerboatr »

Jose_in_Dallas wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:48 am
powerboatr wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:09 pm wow what great timing
i have to run out to pensacola later in the week, then rush home the next day. to pick up my grand daughters dog. her land lord wants no dogs. :mad5 , nice of him to tell her after she moved in
Not to be an jerk, and not stretch to far from the original topic, but shouldn't your grand daughter have checked with the landlord/lease before moving in to see if dogs are allowed? Sounds like it's her first time living on her own and she might have overlooked that.
no jerk, I said the same darn thing to her last week. like are you freaking kidding me you didnt check.
of course the dingle berry boyfriend supposedly did that. he is about as usefull as .....well you know :biggrinjester:

we had the dog and her out year last july through nov and are attached to the pup so it was an easy yes to go get her

and changing tires on a travel trailer or rv...get coach net i have had them since 2009 and never had a complaint about timely service or number of call outs, one summer we blew tires on the hauler trailer with the expedition on it , i kid you not 10 times.. goodyears, trail mx, etc they all could not stand the texas summer highway heat and debris
discount tire finally got me a set that are holding up still after 4 summers.
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

jason812
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jason812 »

cmgee67 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:19 pm
jason812 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:50 am
cmgee67 wrote: Woo this topic is like Glock VS 1911’s hehe. Just kidding.

Your plan sounds good. You obviously have to stop to get fuel. Buccees sounds like a good place to stop. It’s well lit and mainly big enough for your rig to pull in and out of. I would however stay away from the rest stops like others have mentioned. Those transitional spaces tend to be magnets for undesirable individuals that wonder the highways. Always make sure your stuff is locked up and travel in pairs if possible. There is strength in numbers. I hope you have a great time and have some fun! It’s a blessing that your able to go take the family like that. I would also carry extra fuel if you can. Maybe 5-10 gallons. You never know when you may run out and just that little bit could be the difference between you calling roadside assistance or not. I really like the racing gas cans you can get at Atwood’s or tractor supply. They dump a lot of fuel in a hurry. If you can also, get a couple
Of the blue water cans and fill them up for extra water. Carry a floor jack and a 4x4 block about 2ft long in case of a flat. (After being stranded on hwy 75 because my bottle jack wouldn’t go up high enough I carry that at all times). Carry a tire repair kit and also carry an air compressor if you can. Jumper cables as well. When I go somewhere for an extended trip I am a bit over cautious. Most of the time you end up helping others instead of yourself but it’s always good to be prepared. That’s part of the reason we carry right? Anyway good luck!
For a trailer, I have 1ft sections of 2x12 that were drops from building the house. Break the lug nuts loose, then I make a pyramid ramp and pull the good tire on the pyramid to lift the bad tire to change. Normally I do this to grease the bearings but last November I used this practice to change a flat on the side of the road. It is much faster and safer than a jack. I don't mess with jacks on a trailer. I also use these to park on when setting up to make sure I'm level side to side.
That’s a pretty good idea!
They work pretty good and 7 squares fit in a milk crate that goes in the front pass thru. They really don't take up that much room. I turned my battery sideways and put another milk crate beside the battery. This holds 2 2x12 squares and 4 2x8 squares for the stabilizers and jack plus the wheel chocks.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Topic author
Venus Pax
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Venus Pax »

Thank you all for the replies.

Can any of our San Antonio area members recommend a good route around San Antonio? Also, some good fuel stops through Castroville that are easily accessible with a truck and trailer?
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

Post by srothstein »

Venus Pax wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:30 pm Thank you all for the replies.

Can any of our San Antonio area members recommend a good route around San Antonio? Also, some good fuel stops through Castroville that are easily accessible with a truck and trailer?
I might have missed it but I did not see your trip destination or starting point. From your comments about Luling and Castroville, I suggest not going around San Antonio. Stay on IH-10 westbound and it goes around the south part of San Antonio's downtown area. Watch the signs and stay on that road with no turns. As you get to IH-35, the highway changes to US 90, which takes you straight out to Castroville. The trick is not following the signs for IH-10 Westbound because it actually turns and runs on IH-35 Northbound to downtown San Antonio, then turns northwest to Boerne and on to El Paso. As long as you do not hit San Antonio during rush hour (say 3:30 to 6:30 p.m.), the highway is not too crowded and should be easily driveable with a trailer.

The Buc-ee's in Luling usually has the cheapest gas and diesel in this area, but it is cheaper in San Antonio itself. I don't go further west often enough to know about anyplace in Castroville or Hondo.

If I am wrong about your trip, loop 1604 is the outer loop around San Antonio and is a complete loop. Parts of it on the south and east sides of town are still two lane country road. IH-410 is the middle loop around the main part of the city. It is interstate all the way around. There is an inner loop (sort of) formed by the way IH-10, IH-35, and IH-37 intersect and form a square around downtown (actually the legal definition of downtown in San Antonio is the area inside those highways). I recommend staying away from the inner part when possible.
Steve Rothstein

Topic author
Venus Pax
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Venus Pax »

srothstein wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:01 am
Venus Pax wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:30 pm Thank you all for the replies.

I might have missed it but I did not see your trip destination or starting point. From your comments about Luling and Castroville, I suggest not going around San Antonio. Stay on IH-10 westbound and it goes around the south part of San Antonio's downtown area. Watch the signs and stay on that road with no turns. As you get to IH-35, the highway changes to US 90, which takes you straight out to Castroville. The trick is not following the signs for IH-10 Westbound because it actually turns and runs on IH-35 Northbound to downtown San Antonio, then turns northwest to Boerne and on to El Paso. As long as you do not hit San Antonio during rush hour (say 3:30 to 6:30 p.m.), the highway is not too crowded and should be easily driveable with a trailer.

The Buc-ee's in Luling usually has the cheapest gas and diesel in this area, but it is cheaper in San Antonio itself. I don't go further west often enough to know about anyplace in Castroville or Hondo.

If I am wrong about your trip, loop 1604 is the outer loop around San Antonio and is a complete loop. Parts of it on the south and east sides of town are still two lane country road. IH-410 is the middle loop around the main part of the city. It is interstate all the way around. There is an inner loop (sort of) formed by the way IH-10, IH-35, and IH-37 intersect and form a square around downtown (actually the legal definition of downtown in San Antonio is the area inside those highways). I recommend staying away from the inner part when possible.
Thank you!!
I was planning to bypass 10 and 90, but I’ll take that route.
Now I just need to plan for accessible gas around Castroville.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

wheelgun1958
Posts in topic: 1

Post by wheelgun1958 »

Castroville, the “Little Alsace” of Texas.

https://texashillcountry.com/castroville-little-alsace/

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”