Reciprocity

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
longtooth
Posts in topic: 2

Reciprocity

Post by longtooth »

I have a member of our church that is taking a driving vacation.
They will be in New Mexico and Colorado.
We have reciprocity w/ both states. Is there anything special I need to pass on to her.
What about signs for no carry.
No need to consider Bars, any alcohol
Thank you in advance.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Reciprocity

Post by Tex1961 »

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RoyGBiv »

Handgunlaw.us is a great resource.

I'm not sure when Colorado officially ends state preemption. That will be a real pain for travel to Colorado.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
longtooth
Posts in topic: 2

Post by longtooth »

Thank you sir. I will save this too.
:thumbs2: :thumbs2: :thumbs2:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

RoyGBiv wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:46 pm Handgunlaw.us is a great resource.

I'm not sure when Colorado officially ends state preemption. That will be a real pain for travel to Colorado.

:iagree: :iagree:

This is the best resource I have found.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

RoyGBiv wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:46 pmI'm not sure when Colorado officially ends state preemption. That will be a real pain for travel to Colorado.
Following up on this now that I'm at the computer with a real keyboard (posting from tablets is a pain :???: :lol: )

There is no effective date that I can find in the law that ends state preemption in CO. My best guess, and it is a guess, is that the law is already in effect. So, local municipalities can implement more restrictive policies if they choose and Colorado is on its way to becoming a patchwork of gun laws that will be impossible for even Coloradoans to follow and comply with.

Copy/Text of new law is here... https://leg.colorado.gov/bills/sb21-256

Here's the ugly part... The bold stuff is new language that was added to the existing code. Emphasis mine.
29-11.7-103. Local regulations governing firearms permitted. (1) UNLESS OTHERWISE EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED PURSUANT TO STATE LAW, a local government may enact an ordinance, regulation, or other law GOVERNING OR PROHIBITING the sale, purchase, TRANSFER, or possession of a firearm, AMMUNITION, OR FIREARM COMPONENT OR ACCESSORY that a person may lawfully sell, purchase, TRANSFER, or possess under state or federal law. THE LOCAL ORDINANCE, REGULATION, OR OTHER LAW MAY NOT IMPOSE A REQUIREMENT ON THE SALE, PURCHASE, TRANSFER, OR POSSESSION OF A FIREARM, AMMUNITION, OR FIREARM COMPONENT OR ACCESSORY THAT IS LESS RESTRICTIVE THAN STATE LAW
:banghead:

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

RoyGBiv wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:16 am
RoyGBiv wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:46 pmI'm not sure when Colorado officially ends state preemption. That will be a real pain for travel to Colorado.
Following up on this now that I'm at the computer with a real keyboard (posting from tablets is a pain :???: :lol: )

There is no effective date that I can find in the law that ends state preemption in CO. My best guess, and it is a guess, is that the law is already in effect. So, local municipalities can implement more restrictive policies if they choose and Colorado is on its way to becoming a patchwork of gun laws that will be impossible for even Coloradoans to follow and comply with.

Copy/Text of new law is here... https://leg.colorado.gov/bills/sb21-256

Here's the ugly part... The bold stuff is new language that was added to the existing code. Emphasis mine.
29-11.7-103. Local regulations governing firearms permitted. (1) UNLESS OTHERWISE EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED PURSUANT TO STATE LAW, a local government may enact an ordinance, regulation, or other law GOVERNING OR PROHIBITING the sale, purchase, TRANSFER, or possession of a firearm, AMMUNITION, OR FIREARM COMPONENT OR ACCESSORY that a person may lawfully sell, purchase, TRANSFER, or possess under state or federal law. THE LOCAL ORDINANCE, REGULATION, OR OTHER LAW MAY NOT IMPOSE A REQUIREMENT ON THE SALE, PURCHASE, TRANSFER, OR POSSESSION OF A FIREARM, AMMUNITION, OR FIREARM COMPONENT OR ACCESSORY THAT IS LESS RESTRICTIVE THAN STATE LAW
:banghead:
Seems like that would make it safer to drive AROUND Colorado, even if it takes a person out of their way, than to risk some random stop where there is an ordinance or law against firearms. I understand that folks who have some need to go TO Colorado have no real choice but to take the risk, but otherwise? No thanks, IMHO, just not worth it. And, of course, the criminals there must be absolutely overjoyed at the citizens being hemmed up by the crooked politicians in that state.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

K.Mooneyham wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:11 am Seems like that would make it safer to drive AROUND Colorado, even if it takes a person out of their way, than to risk some random stop where there is an ordinance or law against firearms. I understand that folks who have some need to go TO Colorado have no real choice but to take the risk, but otherwise? No thanks, IMHO, just not worth it. And, of course, the criminals there must be absolutely overjoyed at the citizens being hemmed up by the crooked politicians in that state.
There's language in the new law that requires a person have a reasonable expectation of knowing the law, before they can be cited.

No room for abuse or "guilty until proven innocent" there... No.. It's all good. :roll:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”