Post by tommyg »

As of Sept 1 2021 is it legal to carry a concealed handgun in my
pocket without a holster
N.R.A. benefactor Member :tiphat: Please Support the N.R.A. :patriot:

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Pocket Carry No Holster

Post by ScottDLS »

tommyg wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:47 am As of Sept 1 2021 is it legal to carry a concealed handgun in my
pocket without a holster
It is already legal.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Papa_Tiger »

ScottDLS wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:49 am
tommyg wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:47 am As of Sept 1 2021 is it legal to carry a concealed handgun in my
pocket without a holster
It is already legal.
Currently, legal with an LTC. Wise or not is another thing...

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Tex1961 »

The only time you must use a holster is if you are open carrying. Other than that no holster is required.. However as said before this post.. It's generally not considered wise to carry a firearm in your pocket (or anywhere else for that matter) without a trigger guard. I've seen a nifty little device that is a trigger guard only attached to a lanyard which is attached to your belt or belt loops. It's a short lanyard that when you pull your pistol out of your pocket it jerks the trigger guard away and your then free to reach out and touch the trigger..

FuziDave

Post by FuziDave »

not sure it was the OP's intent, but to follow up, then is "printing" not a big deal now?
FuziDave

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

FuziDave wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:50 am not sure it was the OP's intent, but to follow up, then is "printing" not a big deal now?
"Printing" may be something someone doesn't personally want to do because they wish to be fully concealed. However, Texas Penal Code doesn't address that and it is NOT "against the law" to the best of my understanding. There are others on here who are more knowledgeable than me, and are free to correct me or add to what I stated, of course.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

K.Mooneyham wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:27 am
FuziDave wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:50 am not sure it was the OP's intent, but to follow up, then is "printing" not a big deal now?
"Printing" may be something someone doesn't personally want to do because they wish to be fully concealed. However, Texas Penal Code doesn't address that and it is NOT "against the law" to the best of my understanding. There are others on here who are more knowledgeable than me, and are free to correct me or add to what I stated, of course.
I believe this is correct. "Printing" is not illegal. I'm not sure it has ever been in the 12 years that I've had my CHL / LTC.

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:34 am
I believe this is correct. "Printing" is not illegal. I'm not sure it has ever been in the 12 years that I've had my CHL / LTC.
I really didn't think so. I have found a tendency for folks to want to apply law (or lore) from other states to Texas. Some on this forum may know of my sincere disdain for the term "brandishing", which doesn't appear in Texas Penal Code regarding carry of handguns.

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

K.Mooneyham wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:40 am
I really didn't think so. I have found a tendency for folks to want to apply law (or lore) from other states to Texas. Some on this forum may know of my sincere disdain for the term "brandishing", which doesn't appear in Texas Penal Code regarding carry of handguns.
Printing is not illegal at all. Nor is partially showing any part of your firearm if concealed. Since Texas passed open carry the only real requirements were that open carry had to be in a belt or shoulder holster. Next week that requirement of belt or shoulder has gone away but you still need to have a holster if your going to open carry.

I don't open carry in public as a personal choice. But nor do I worry if my gun is accidentally seen. I've switched from all IWB to OWB holster but I just have an open button up shirt that I wear to cover my pistol. I found that I have quicker draw time with that setup VS a IWB with a T-shirt that I need to lift up...

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

pocket without a holster
Sure as long as you don't have one of those manual safeties, that can be so cumbersome at times. :eek6
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

K.Mooneyham wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:40 am
Such as when the exemption was given for carrying while wearing a mask.......in Illinois. It was months before I stopped hearing questions/statements about not being able to carry in Texas while wearing a mask.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Other than being bad form, printing is irrelevant and not regulated under law.

Pocket carry without a holster is legal, but monumentally stupid.

Pocket carry with a kydex trigger cover of some kind is legal, and WAY less stupid. Witness the $25 Nolster from Alabama Holster.

Pocket carry with a holster designed for pocket carry is legal, and is by far the best choice in most situations. I have two $40 Front Pocket Holsters from Alabama Holsters—one for my G43, and the other for my M&P340 J-frame.

These holsters are inexpensive, rugged, conceal well, and are comfortable in the pocket—having outlasted both of the Desantis Nemesis holsters I owned previously.

Did I mention that pocket carry without a holster is a bad idea?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I am with the folks warning against pocket carry with no holster. It is monumentally stupid IMHO. It is a great method for shooting yourself in the leg or worse an innocent bystander. It is right up there with "Mexican carry". A hand gun should always be carried in a holster that fully covers the trigger.

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

I wear TRU-SPEC original cargo pants. There is a pocket inside the cargo pocket that is just right to hold a pistol and cover the trigger guard. There are 3 layers of material over the trigger, two of them fairly heavy. Not as much protection as a Tucker holster but plenty. So far well over a decade with no problems. I wear those pants 7/365 and carry at least 350 of them. Not saying anyone's method or choice is wrong, just that this works for me.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

cbunt1

Post by cbunt1 »

And except in the case of something like the little NAA mini-derringers, pocket carry without a holster is usually quite uncomfortable. Guns seem to develop solid sharp edges in one's pocket :)
American by birth, Texan by the grace of God!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”