Why bother

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
1wise1
Posts in topic: 5

Why bother

Post by 1wise1 »

Now that Permitless Carry in Texas has gone into effect; why will anyone bother to get a Concealed Carry Permit (aside from quick clearance when purchasing from a dealer) What does this do for form 4473? What will notification of a police officer entail now that the CHL list will go dormant? What effect does this have on "Shall Issue"?
(just asking for a friend)
Certified Glock Armorer
Combine ignorance, arrogance and low altitude, and the result is guaranteed to be spectacular.

Paladin
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Why bother

Post by Paladin »

Reciprocity is a big reason to get an LTC.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
1wise1

Post by 1wise1 »

That will require that the state continue to test and issue new permits... I am hearing that function of the DPS will quickly be declared obsolete and phased out as a budget matter.
Certified Glock Armorer
Combine ignorance, arrogance and low altitude, and the result is guaranteed to be spectacular.

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

Many benefits to keeping the LTC... see the outline here

https://www.dps.texas.gov/section/handg ... c-benefits

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

1wise1 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:20 pm That will require that the state continue to test and issue new permits... I am hearing that function of the DPS will quickly be declared obsolete and phased out as a budget matter.
Like to know what legitimate government source you're hearing it from.

If you look, there's been at least three treads talking about this. My main reason will be ignoring 30.05 signs.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

jerry_r60

Post by jerry_r60 »

1wise1 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:20 pm That will require that the state continue to test and issue new permits... I am hearing that function of the DPS will quickly be declared obsolete and phased out as a budget matter.
Did you hear this from someone who actually knows or just internet chatter? I don't think this can be done without legislation due to the fact that there is law mandating "shall issue" etc. That doesn't mean it could not happen with legislation but then that means plenty of time as it has to be in a legislative session. That would also mean debate, perhaps other legislation or action dealing with any downside (like some new reciprosity agreements). We could speculate all kinds of directions future legislation might go but it certainly need to be at least two more years for a new session.

One way to look at how it might play out is to look at how other states that have gone to permitless carry before us have handled it.

Topic author
1wise1

Post by 1wise1 »

Came from a Liberal/Dem state rep in a meeting with constituents. Question was "how you going to hold down costs of state agencies"... Answer was, do away with unneeded functions and programs; "such as".... Audience mainly old, bored, uninterested people who thought it sounded like a splendid idea.
Certified Glock Armorer

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

For me, campus carry and airport carry (private pilot).
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

1000' from a school law not in effect for license holder
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 4

Post by ScottDLS »

oohrah wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:02 am For me, campus carry and airport carry (private pilot).
I don't think airport carry (general aviation) is prohibited to non-license holders.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Reciprocity
1000' of a school
Defense to Prosecution for 30.06/.07 (Emergency Service Volunteer)
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

1wise1 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:39 pm Came from a Liberal/Dem state rep in a meeting with constituents. Question was "how you going to hold down costs of state agencies"... Answer was, do away with unneeded functions and programs; "such as".... Audience mainly old, bored, uninterested people who thought it sounded like a splendid idea.
One suggestion from one state rep (of the party not controlling any of the branches of state government) is a very long way from doing away with the LTC program. I’m not saying it can’t happen, but it would certainly be an uphill battle to get that legislation across the finish line.
NRA lifetime member

AndyC1911
Posts in topic: 3

Post by AndyC1911 »

Being able to show I'm a certified good guy when I get pulled over, is another.

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

It has been pointed out by others, some in this post, that there are additional benefits to maintaining (or acquiring) a license to carry (LTC). Some serious studies have shown that after other states passed Constitutional/permitless carry, initially the number of license holders dipped. However, after some short amount of time, the number of permit holders recovered, and even increased. Why should anyone expect that will not hold true in the State of Texas?

LTUME1978

Post by LTUME1978 »

I am with Andy on this. I plan to keep my license based on the data that Mr. Cotton has shared in the past. If I remember correctly (please correct me if I am wrong), police are 7 times more likely to commit a crime than a LTC holder. The general population is 20 + times more likely to commit a crime than a LTC holder. Why give up your LTC and drop yourself into a group that is much more likely to commit a crime. A large portion of the police know these statistics and respect/appreciate LTC holders.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”