Carry without a license

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Carry without a license

Post by Paladin »

03Lightningrocks got me thinking about Constitutional Carry. It is legal to Constitutional Carry in Texas, but there are benefits to having an LTC. Reciprocity is one of those benefits... but how many states can you carry in without a license?

It turns out, a lot:

Concealed Carry: (18 States)
Arizona, Arkansas, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, West Virginia

Concealed Carry Maps

Open Carry: (31 states now, including Texas)

opencarry.org

An LTC gives you more states and more benefits, but it is remarkable how much things have changed
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

allisji
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Carry without a license

Post by allisji »

https://handgunlaw.us/

this website seems to be a good, up-to-date resource on each state's handgun laws. Just click on the state and it will pull up their specific laws and lots of very detailed pertinent information.

States like Oregon for example don't honor other state's handgun licenses, however they do allow open carry without a license. But you better read carefully for prohibited places, etc.

If you have a valid Texas resident Texas Handgun License your license is honored in 36 states. However as mentioned, more than half of those states are also constitutional carry states.

There are 14 states that do not honor your valid Texas Handgun license, though some of them (like Maine and New Hampshire) have laws that allow permitless carry.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Isn't it amazing that there aren't daily news reports about blood on the streets in those 30 states with permit-less carry? Several have open carry.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

puma guy wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:46 pm Isn't it amazing that there aren't daily news reports about blood on the streets in those 30 states with permit-less carry? Several have open carry.
Yep. And places where it is still difficult to legally carry a firearm are NYC, Chicago, and Cali which are all home to organized crime.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Paladin wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:35 pm
puma guy wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:46 pm Isn't it amazing that there aren't daily news reports about blood on the streets in those 30 states with permit-less carry? Several have open carry.
Yep. And places where it is still difficult to legally carry a firearm are NYC, Chicago, and Cali which are all home to organized crime.
The real offices of organized crime in those places are in NYC and Chicago City Halls, and the California state Capitol.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Why is Texas shown as open carry only with a permit?
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Outdated map I suppose

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Here is the link to the list of states where carry without a permit is legal. I don't know how to get it to display as a map, my apologies. Texas IS on the list. It was last updated as of the 10th of February, 2022.

https://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/Per ... States.pdf

aaangel

Post by aaangel »

what's going on with Florida??? oh yeah my bad too many new yorkers there, de santis don't want to scare them :nono: :lol:
'got to Texas ASAIC.

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Florida has a bill for open carry working through the legislature there, last I read.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I am blown away by New Hampshire and Vermont.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

K.Mooneyham wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:55 pm Florida has a bill for open carry working through the legislature there, last I read.
I read the same thing somewhere.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”