Any guesses as to how many folks are carrying concealed under constitutional carry?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Any guesses as to how many folks are carrying concealed under constitutional carry?

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Tex1961 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:28 pm I speak to a pretty fair amount of people on a regular basis. I’ve only met 1 person who said he has carried a few times. Everyone else has said that they either didn’t know it was legal now and many were afraid because they didn’t know the laws and didn’t want to get in trouble. I’ve had quite a few who admitted that they wanted to but don’t have enough experience and don’t feel safe.
:iagree: :iagree:

Paladin
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Any guesses as to how many folks are carrying concealed under constitutional carry?

Post by Paladin »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:07 pm ...But I just believe from my own experiences that most folks simply don't think about the need for a firearm on their person. It is strange to me.
Firearms are popularly perceived as talismans. I would say without training and/or experience, most people don't understand the dynamics of an actual real world fight. Those who do understand the dynamics of an actual fight are the people that carry on their body.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Tex1961 »

Off topic but germain to uneducated / students learning in LTC or CC classes. As most of you know we repeatedly go over the 4 rules of gun safety. I don't think I can count how many times I do durning a class. But I tend to stress #4 more than most do.. Most know or understand 1, 2 and 3 but have never hard about #4.. Know your target and what's beyond... I like using my finger gun and aligning up 2 students... Front is bad guy, behind is 9 year old little girl and her family... Then I stress during a defensive shoot why #4 is so important. This of course goes hand in hand with understanding a SD situation and the many ways it can go wrong. Knowledge is power when carrying a weapon your your body.... These are the little things that many have not given any thought too and hopefully it helps them understand what else don't they know...

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Excaliber »

I think the number of consistent concealed carriers has changed very little after the law changed. Many correctly see it as a big step if they haven't gone through competent training and just never get around to doing that. Many keep guns in their cars, but that won't do them much good in most situations. Of the ones who have tried concealed carry, the discomfort of carrying an extra pound or two on the belt and the clothing changes concealment requires usually leads to them leaving their guns at home.

I think we see a few more unlicensed open carriers, but from what I see very little has actually changed in practice.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

All totally in line with Dr. Lott's testimony during the hearings on the Permit-Less Carry bill. He stated that in those states that had already enacted some form of Permit-Less carry that there was not an increase in crime or accidents, but for a period of time, applications for licenses went down. Then after about a year, applications went up because people that wanted to carry also wanted to know the laws involved.

In line with Tex1961, I cannot count the number of times I stress the Target-Backstop-Beyond in class. Also detailed discussion regarding the fact that an interior house wall will NOT stop a bullet.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

AF-Odin wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:02 am In line with Tex1961, I cannot count the number of times I stress the Target-Backstop-Beyond in class. Also detailed discussion regarding the fact that an interior house wall will NOT stop a bullet.
Very critical info for gun owners to know! :cheers2:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

Is Constitutional carry any different than Open Carry or Campus Carry? We fought the "establishment" at each one of those points with the usual Bloomberg/Brady/Watts leading the way and political police chiefs adding their negative comments. And nothing happened. Sure there are a few who now open carry regularly where before they couldn't and I'm sure that there are a few more guns on campuses than there might have been. But neither of those laws significantly changed the gun carrying landscape so winning the battle to get them passed was perhaps the most important point about them. Before the fee structure and the class lengths for LTC were changed, those posed more of a barrier to someone wanting a license than they do today. And if you believe that anecdotal evidence from police during traffic stops that 50percent of the LTC don't carry regularly, there wasn't as much impact from even that law and the license statistics might portray.

I believe that more people don't carry regularly because of the labyrinth of laws that they must consider rather than the inconvenience of having to put on a gun or the discomfort from having it on. I think that crosses the license/no license boundary. Very few people put the time and effort into figuring out those laws that the members on this forum have. But one only has to look at the questions on almost any important subject to day to realize how uninformed the general public is. I know people with an LTC who say that thinking about all of that makes their head hurt. I cannot imagine how the people without the classroom information would feel differently. That is more of a barrier than whether or not there is a license, IMHO.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

striker55

Post by striker55 »

Renewed my CHL, new one coming today in the mail. I suppose it will be LTC now?

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

striker55 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:32 am Renewed my CHL, new one coming today in the mail. I suppose it will be LTC now?
Yep!

striker55

Post by striker55 »

Paladin wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:36 pm
striker55 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:32 am Renewed my CHL, new one coming today in the mail. I suppose it will be LTC now?
Yep!
Silly me putting away my last license I never noticed it was LTC. I can't find something in the freezer half the time, wife has to get it for me.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”