2022 NRA Houston Convention

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
howdy
Posts in topic: 1

2022 NRA Houston Convention

Post by howdy »

Once again the NRA Convention is over Memorial Day week-end. I recall the last one that was cancelled was also over the Memorial Day weekend. I know they can't please everyone all the time but I will be out of town that weekend. I volunteered at the last one that was held in Houston and it was a great time. I will miss not being there.

Has any Instructors offered to give a quick 30+ minute class at the convention on Texas handgun law? We know many out of state visitors will be attending and they might enjoy a quick covering of our law. I bet the convention would give an area for this.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

philip964
Posts in topic: 2

Re: 2022 NRA Houston Convention

Post by philip964 »

I'm excited its coming back to Houston, I figured it wouldn't be again in Houston for a long time. Thanks Charles.

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Personally, I would have preferred Dallas again or San Antonio. Really hate downtown Houston. Dallas worked well as there was DART rail right to the event and you could stay out and away from downtown.

That said, at least it is in Texas.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

philip964
Posts in topic: 2

Post by philip964 »

AF-Odin wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:38 pm Personally, I would have preferred Dallas again or San Antonio. Really hate downtown Houston. Dallas worked well as there was DART rail right to the event and you could stay out and away from downtown.

Downtown was very safe while it was here last time. There is a train that goes right by at one end of the building. It does eventually go to a very nice hotel near Hermann Park, but you have to change trains. There are two hotels right at the convention center. One has a Texas shaped moving river pool.
But yes downtown San Antonio is nicer with the Riverwalk.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

philip964 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:08 pm
AF-Odin wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:38 pm Personally, I would have preferred Dallas again or San Antonio. Really hate downtown Houston. Dallas worked well as there was DART rail right to the event and you could stay out and away from downtown.

Downtown was very safe while it was here last time. There is a train that goes right by at one end of the building. It does eventually go to a very nice hotel near Hermann Park, but you have to change trains. There are two hotels right at the convention center. One has a Texas shaped moving river pool.
But yes downtown San Antonio is nicer with the Riverwalk.
I have been to the river walk in San Antonio twice. The first time was 40 years ago. There were groups of thug looking kids all over the place along the walk. It was not very developed yet. I was 21 and to be honest it felt a bit unsafe. The second time was about 6-8 years ago. It looked like a different place. Families and couples everywhere. Lots of development appeared to have taken place. I saw very few thug looking types anywhere along the walk. We stayed at a hotel in downtown San Antonio and walked to restaurants near the hotel. It had a completely different feel to it.

If you want to go somewhere that walking one block to far can get you mugged or killed, try Graceland in Memphis. Then head over to Beal street for some BBQ at BB KIngs. It is cazy how they keep the crime off a few blocks while gang bangers are shooting each other a couple hundred yards away.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”