How Many Reloads Should A Private Citizen Carry?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

LTUME1978
Posts in topic: 1

Re: How Many Reloads Should A Private Citizen Carry?

Post by LTUME1978 »

"but those same arguments are even better arguments for carrying a backup gun"

If I carried a spare gun, I would want a duplicate of the 1911 I carry so that manual of arms is consistent. Carrying 2 1911s would be bulky (hard to conceal) and heavy as compared to two spare magazines. Most people carry something small like a bug (for a second gun) that will handle differently and have a much shorter useful range. I can reload as fast as I could produce a second pistol that would not be in a place for rapid production. Also, unless dropping one pistol and drawing a second is practiced frequently, it could be a disadvantage to spare magazines. My preference is for spare magazines and maybe a small bug hidden away for last ditch (if I carried it at all).

carlson1
Posts in topic: 4

Post by carlson1 »

I use to always carry a back up and many times still do. I heard Clint smith say one time that your back up should be just a large or larger than your primary gun. Well my back ups have always been smaller, but by no means mouse guns.

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Paladin »

M&P Shield (with Taran mag extension) is an extremely capable pistol as either primary or secondary. I had no problem shooting a perfect score on the Army Pistol Qualification with one.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

LTUME1978 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:23 pm "but those same arguments are even better arguments for carrying a backup gun"

If I carried a spare gun, I would want a duplicate of the 1911 I carry so that manual of arms is consistent. Carrying 2 1911s would be bulky (hard to conceal) and heavy as compared to two spare magazines. Most people carry something small like a bug (for a second gun) that will handle differently and have a much shorter useful range. I can reload as fast as I could produce a second pistol that would not be in a place for rapid production. Also, unless dropping one pistol and drawing a second is practiced frequently, it could be a disadvantage to spare magazines. My preference is for spare magazines and maybe a small bug hidden away for last ditch (if I carried it at all).
For me, I’m not sure how I would manage a spare gun…unless the two were identical or shared the same mags. My EDC is a G19. I also own a 17 and a 26. Magazine interchangeability only works one way. The 26 can use both 19 and 17 mags. The 19 can use 17 mags, but not the 26 mags. But the 17 can only use its own magazines.

At my current level of training (10th dan, fatoldman-jitsu), I’m reasonably sure that I could swap mags about as fast as I could draw a second pistol. And two spare mags weigh less than a 2nd gun + magazine.

The exception I might make would be for a J-frame in a back pocket or ankle holster. But in that case, there’s no thought of matching magazines. Also, even though an ankle holster would conceal it pretty effectively, it would take me forever to draw from that position. And keeping it in my back pocket makes sitting uncomfortable. I like my little snubbie. It’s my "walk down to the mailbox" gun. But for EDC, I’d just rather carry spare mags…even though I don’t expect to need them.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

cmgee67
Posts in topic: 3

Post by cmgee67 »

TAM what holster and mag carrier are you running for your 19? I need to get a new one for mine

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

Average civilian gunfight 7 seconds? I don't want to put myself in a position where my life or the lives of my loves ones depends upon "the average."
Two is one, one is none works better for me than "the average."

Just because John Corriea has never seen a video showing mag change doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

The most common malfunctions with a semi-auto pistol can be fixed by swapping mags. I don't carry backup for the extra ammo, but for the first mag messing up. It just has the extra benefit of providing more ammo should I end up in some a problem arises situation (beyond the normal bad day of having to use a pistol). I could drop the extra mags on the left hip and put a gun there. I just don't want to spend the time training my left hand. A backup gun is a great idea, not just for you. You can also use it to arm someone else (maybe a wife that refuses to carry, but can shoot). I'm just stubborn and lazy. I don't want to give up my reloads that I'm comfortable with. I don't want to spend the years I've trained and practiced my right hand on my left hand. I can shoot offhand but not nearly as well.
NRA Benefactor Member

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

14+1 in my 1911 and one spare mag gives me 29rds on me
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

The Annoyed Man

cmgee67 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:25 am TAM what holster and mag carrier are you running for your 19? I need to get a new one for mine
I’ve found a very inexpensive holster/mag carrier combination that has been working very well for me for several years now. I carry AIWB nearly 100% of the time.

Holster is from CYA Holsters: https://www.cyasupply.com/products/gloc ... wb-holster, $37.74 in plain black, FDE, teal blue, or OD green, and a couple of bucks more for "carbon fiber". I have two others for my G26 and my G43.

For magazine carriers, I use Kytex Gear carriers: https://kytexgear.com/product/glock-19- ... g-carrier/, $18.95 each.

In fact, I’ve been using these mag carriers for about 10 years now for several of my pistols, and I just broke one of my G19 mag carriers today when the belt clip part finally cracked through. I’ve already ordered replacements. I have carriers for my G19 x2, G26 x2, G17 x2, and G43 x1. I already ordered a replacement for the one I broke today, plus another for my G43, and I expect to receive them in about a week or so.

Those two items—CYA holster and Kytex mag carrier—have been the best money I ever spent on carry accessories. None of the other holsters or mag carriers I’ve ever bought before have stayed in use by me for as long, and for so little money.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Tam coincidentally I use CYA on everything and was about to order one for the 19. I will take a look at that mag carrier. I like the way it looks. Thanks for posting

JRG

Post by JRG »

I started carrying my Shield .45acp the past couple of days. With the flush mag, it only has 6+1 so I have been putting the "extended" mag in my pocket. I say extended......it is only 7+1. Not much extension there. I am going to check out those mag carriers that TAM spoke of earlier. I don't want to carry it in my pocket any longer than necessary.

Joe

striker55

Post by striker55 »

Yeah I carry a 45 Shield, today I started carrying two extra mags. I use suspenders to help keep my pants up.

The Annoyed Man

cmgee67 wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:21 am Tam coincidentally I use CYA on everything and was about to order one for the 19. I will take a look at that mag carrier. I like the way it looks. Thanks for posting
You’re welcome. :thumbs2:

#TINVOWOOT

cirus

Post by cirus »

I carry a Springfield XDM Elite 9mm with a 21 rd. mag. If I need more ammo than that I'll throw on my chest rig and plate carrier and grab the AR.

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

i haven't carried "reloads" in about 8 years
My Glock 30S uses a Glock 21 mag with a PearceGrip +2 baseplate so I have 15+1 in .45
if that well runs dry...
my pocket BUG is a Glock 26 with a Glock 17 mag with a PearceGrip +3 base plate for 20+1 rounds of 9mm
if that well runs dry...
I have my 5-1/2" blade & a small tactical flashlight
I live in a smaller town now,
if it grows into the Houston/Austin size like where I moved from, I may start carrying a "reload" again
wait...
yeah, that should get me to the car where there's two 30 round 9mm mag "reloads" & hopefully that'll get me home.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”