What are advantages to LTC vs Constitutional Carry?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
LSUTiger
Posts in topic: 1

What are advantages to LTC vs Constitutional Carry?

Post by LSUTiger »

I have friends who keep making statements to people in our chat group that TX LTC has far more benefits than Constitutional Carry. I maintain my LTC purely for reciprocity purposes. I also enjoy the No background checks aspect in TX when buying a new gun. Aside from reciprocity purposes and no background check when buying a new gun what are these “far more benefits”. They seem to imply that LTC holders some how have special carry privileges in TX that Constitutional Carriers do not Everytime I ask them to quantify they never do. Am I missing something or are they misunderstanding something?

I see no such special privileges for one group vs the other as far as actual carry in the state of TX specifically (unless CC at capital is different for both)
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

troglodyte

Re: What are advantages to LTC vs Constitutional Carry?

Post by troglodyte »

LTCs:
-are exempt from the Federal 1000' gun free zone around schools.
-(should) know the laws of when, and when you can't, carry, shoot, or "brandish".
-can carry at hospitals, nursing homes, amusement parks, and governmental meetings if not otherwise posted with a 30.06 and/or 30.07
-Gun buster signs have no affect.
-can carry on college campus' (with some limitations)
-get a "do over" if they forget their gun while going through TSA at the airport.
-reciprocity in other states (although this may become a lesser point as more states go to permitless carry)

There may be more legal scrutiny in a self-defense situation for non-LTCs but this is just a guess.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

In some states (Missouri for one), if you have a permit and carry into a prohibited location, there is no criminal penalty, they can just make you leave. With unlicensed carry you can be charged, depending on location, with up to a Class C felony.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Tex1961 »

Troglodyte pretty much hit all the points. You can pick your kids up from school, they can’t. You can go to Walmart, they can’t. You know when you can and when you can’t or shouldn’t draw your weapon.

One thing not mentioned is interaction with Law enforcement. You present your LTC and I’ll guarantee you will be treated much differently than someone without one.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by carlson1 »

Tex1961 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:06 pm …. You can go to Walmart, they can’t.
Also other establishments that sale alcohol. WalMart as well as the local 7-11, Grocery Stores,etc… that have alcohol sales. I don’t think people think about this.

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

carlson1 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:01 pm
Also other establishments that sale alcohol. WalMart as well as the local 7-11, Grocery Stores,etc… that have alcohol sales. I don’t think people think about this.
Sorry sir, but incorrect. TABC Blue signs are no longer valid. Under HB 1927 unlicensed can now carry into establishments that sell alcohol ( off site consumption ). I sort of joked about Walmart because they began putting up 30.05 signs even before CC became legal. 30.05 of course being for unlicensed carry only, this mean nothing to LTC.

Papa_Tiger

Post by Papa_Tiger »

I do not believe this is correct. The only locations that sell alcohol that are off limits by statute in 46.03 are:
"(7) on the premises of a business that has a permit or license issued under Chapter 25, 28, 32, 69, or 74, Alcoholic Beverage Code, if the business derives 51 percent or more of its income from the sale or service of alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption, as determined by the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission under Section 104.06, Alcoholic Beverage Code;"

This only applies to 51% locations. The TABC blue sign that communicated the prohibition on unlicensed carry of a firearm where alcohol sold for off-premises consumption or on premises consumption where the sale of alcohol was <51% of revenues was repealed with the Constitutional Carry bill - 87R HB1927.

Section 7 doesn't apply to license holders if the location hasn't posted 30.06/7 signs.

(p) Sections 46.03(a)(7), (11), and (13) do not apply if the actor:
(1) carries a handgun on the premises or other property, as applicable;
(2) holds a license to carry a handgun issued under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code; and
(3) was not given effective notice under Section 30.06 or 30.07 of this code or Section 411.204, Government Code, as applicable.
Last edited by Papa_Tiger on Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Papa_Tiger

Post by Papa_Tiger »

Tex1961 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:35 pm
Sorry sir, but incorrect. TABC Blue signs are no longer valid. Under HB 1927 unlicensed can now carry into establishments that sell alcohol ( off site consumption ). I sort of joked about Walmart because they began putting up 30.05 signs even before CC became legal. 30.05 of course being for unlicensed carry only, this mean nothing to LTC.
I admittedly don't go to Wallyworld often, so I may have missed it, but I have yet to see a 30.05 sign there. I do see 30.05 on HEB doors though.

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Papa_Tiger wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:39 pm
I admittedly don't go to Wallyworld often, so I may have missed it, but I have yet to see a 30.05 sign there. I do see 30.05 on HEB doors though.
Yeah, I have heard of HEB going all out. Walmart is spotty, but they made some news because the signs were going up before 9/1/2021.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I always learn something here. Thanks for the clarification. :thumbs2:

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Tex1961 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:46 pm
Papa_Tiger wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:39 pm
Yeah, I have heard of HEB going all out. Walmart is spotty, but they made some news because the signs were going up before 9/1/2021.
HEB does not post 30.06 - so still allows concealed carry. They've always been 30.07 ever since open carry passed.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”