Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Concealed Carry Permit Holders Across the United States: 2022

Post by Paladin »

Some new analysis about concealed carry here in Texas and around the nation:

As the United States is moving into a post-pandemic era, the number of concealed handgun permits has continued increasing. The figure now stands at 22.01 million – a 2.3% increase since last year. Unlike gun ownership surveys that may be affected by people’s unwillingness to answer personal questions, concealed handgun permit data is the only really “hard data” that we have. This increase occurred despite 24 Constitutional Carry states that no longer provide data on all those legally carrying a concealed handgun because people in those states no longer need a permit to carry.
Some discussion of the paper:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

03Lightningrocks

Re: Concealed Carry Permit Holders Across the United States: 2022

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Paladin wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:11 pm Some new analysis about concealed carry here in Texas and around the nation:

As the United States is moving into a post-pandemic era, the number of concealed handgun permits has continued increasing. The figure now stands at 22.01 million – a 2.3% increase since last year. Unlike gun ownership surveys that may be affected by people’s unwillingness to answer personal questions, concealed handgun permit data is the only really “hard data” that we have. This increase occurred despite 24 Constitutional Carry states that no longer provide data on all those legally carrying a concealed handgun because people in those states no longer need a permit to carry.
Some discussion of the paper:
Just curious. Are there any numbers of new LTC applicants since constitutional carry was put into law. I did not renew my LTC because of constitutional carry. The numbers are for as many as 19 years which makes it hard to zero in on the true outcome from constitutional carry in Texas.

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

I am unaware of any new numbers with regards to CC
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Based on my classes and other instructors I talk to, the numbers are at or above previous numbers before constitutional carry. This actually goes along with the GOA studies that have been done from other states before Texas that passed constitutional carry. I personally think that you if you already have your LTC that you are crazy to not renew it. There are too many advantages of having one over just caring constitutional.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Tex1961 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:48 pm Based on my classes and other instructors I talk to, the numbers are at or above previous numbers before constitutional carry. This actually goes along with the GOA studies that have been done from other states before Texas that passed constitutional carry. I personally think that you if you already have your LTC that you are crazy to not renew it. There are too many advantages of having one over just caring constitutional.
For me it is an issue of the constitution of the united states. The very idea of having to get government approval to exercise a constitutional right has always made me wretch. Once released from those chains, voluntarily agreeing to put the shackles back on has zero appeal for me.

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:36 pm
Tex1961 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:48 pm Based on my classes and other instructors I talk to, the numbers are at or above previous numbers before constitutional carry. This actually goes along with the GOA studies that have been done from other states before Texas that passed constitutional carry. I personally think that you if you already have your LTC that you are crazy to not renew it. There are too many advantages of having one over just caring constitutional.
For me it is an issue of the constitution of the united states. The very idea of having to get government approval to exercise a constitutional right has always made me wretch. Once released from those chains, voluntarily agreeing to put the shackles back on has zero appeal for me.
Hey, I hear you and completely understand. But it still doesn’t negate the fact that having a LTC can give you more advantage. The way I see it we have gained back our God-given constitutional right, so what’s the harm in enhancing that by having an LTC and gaining more access to carry locations, easier dealings with law enforcement, repreprocity, no background checks when buying a handgun, one time Opps pass if your caught at the airport check in, and more. Sorry but it makes more sense to me to have one.

Scott in Houston
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Scott in Houston »

Tex1961 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:56 pm
Hey, I hear you and completely understand. But it still doesn’t negate the fact that having a LTC can give you more advantage. The way I see it we have gained back our God-given constitutional right, so what’s the harm in enhancing that by having an LTC and gaining more access to carry locations, easier dealings with law enforcement, repreprocity, no background checks when buying a handgun, one time Opps pass if your caught at the airport check in, and more. Sorry but it makes more sense to me to have one.
Agree that having an LTC has advantages, but also believe in it because it's basically another "vote' with your wallet for the 2A.

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

Scott in Houston wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:25 pm
Tex1961 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:56 pm
[/quote

Agree that having an LTC has advantages, but also believe in it because it's basically another "vote' with your wallet for the 2A.
How often does one drive through a school zone?
Having an LTC has a huge advantage in this case.
Credit due US Law Shield:

FEDERAL LAW AND GUN-FREE SCHOOL ZONES

And this brings us to federal law. Isn’t there a prohibition about carrying in a Gun-Free School Zone? The Federal Gun-Free School Zones law prohibits individuals from knowingly possessing a firearm that has moved through interstate commerce (which is virtually all firearms) in or on the grounds or within 1,000 feet of a public, parochial, or private school, unless an exception applies. The most common exceptions to the Federal Gun-Free School Zones laws in Texas are:

Living within 1,000 feet of a school, so long as the person is not prohibited from possessing a firearm on their private property;
Being a Texas LTC holder. Note this does not apply to Texas residents who hold a non-resident license or handgun permit from another state; or
Carrying a firearm that is securely locked. This is a firearm that is unloaded and carried in a locked case or other type of locked container, such as a glove box or trunk.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

flowrie wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:02 am
How often does one drive through a school zone?
Having an LTC has a huge advantage in this case.
Credit due US Law Shield:

FEDERAL LAW AND GUN-FREE SCHOOL ZONES

And this brings us to federal law. Isn’t there a prohibition about carrying in a Gun-Free School Zone? The Federal Gun-Free School Zones law prohibits individuals from knowingly possessing a firearm that has moved through interstate commerce (which is virtually all firearms) in or on the grounds or within 1,000 feet of a public, parochial, or private school, unless an exception applies. The most common exceptions to the Federal Gun-Free School Zones laws in Texas are:

Living within 1,000 feet of a school, so long as the person is not prohibited from possessing a firearm on their private property;
Being a Texas LTC holder. Note this does not apply to Texas residents who hold a non-resident license or handgun permit from another state; or
Carrying a firearm that is securely locked. This is a firearm that is unloaded and carried in a locked case or other type of locked container, such as a glove box or trunk.
So here is a problem. I have an RV and we travel to different States. Only in Texas where my LTC was issued am I exempt from the 1,000 foot rule. One of the places that we go is Pennsylvania and I had a non-res permit from there to get pas that problem. The PA went stupid with Covid and I could not get an appointment for a renewal of my permit while we were there. But in all of the other States, I supposedly have a problem. But here is a question: when was the last time that someone ended up in legal problems because of the Federal rules? I agree that it could be an add-on charge some place down on the list of someone with other legal issues. But I don't see locals enforcing the Federal law and there sure don't see to be a lot of Federal law enforcement types enforcing any Federal gun related rules. I just got my letter from the Corps of Engineers allowing me to CC on their local District property but I'm sure that I was going to loose a lot of sleep without that. They are no more interested in enforcement unless there is a big incident than other Federal agencies.

Regarding the securely locked firearms, my travel nemesis is Maryland. They have publicly said that they don't honor FOPA and will arrest you anyway if you bring a gun into their territory. I always worried more about the short span that I spend on I-81 gong between Virginia and Pennsylvania than I ever do about the 1,000 foot school rules. They hate Texans on general principals and a "license plate light out" traffic stop could quickly go to much worse. We just came through there last month and I told my wife that I was a "model citizen" with everything car and traffic law related. And yes, I do realize that Western Maryland and the Eastern Shore (where I used to work) are nothing like the looneys around DC and especially Baltimore. But it is the State Police that enforce traffic rules on the interstates and it is a lottery as to where the particular officer that stops you and where his politics lie.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

I'd be curious the number of people in Texas who have allowed their LTC to expire and have still renewed a Texas DL. This would give an estimate of how many people let their LTC expire vs moved out of state or passed away.

Could then compare that number to the number of new LTCs issued during the same time frame.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

I'll keep up my LTC for one reason even if none of the others had much impact on me. Having the LTC allows me to not wait around for that NICS check when I purchase a firearm. I buy new firearms from time to time, and it sure is nice just to fill out the paperwork, show the LTC, pay for the firearm, and not waste my time waiting for the okay to walk out with it. I really am about as squeaky clean as it gets, legally speaking, so I appreciate that little bit the LTC affords me when buying a gun.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”